Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

swap possibilities???

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  classic800vulcan 
#1 ·
so im a few weeks into owning my 96 Vulcan 800 classic and i'm already wondering.....are the larger displacement engines compatible with my frame? any help/suggestions are appreciated.
the end goal being to stuff as much bad ass as I can into the frame I have. I was originally thinking of boring & stroking with custom cam and shave a few thousandths off the heads but from my understanding others have had a multitude of problems finding correct go fast parts.

#2 ·
You'd be ahead to sell it and get a bigger bike.

#5 ·
It's a common question, but I don't think anyone has actually successfully done it. Kawasaki doesn't just update engines they update the whole model. So not only aren't engines compatible; but you actually get a lot more than just a bigger engine when you move up to a bigger bike on the line.

It could be done, ANYTHING can be done. But it would require a lot of fabrication, time, and money that could just be spent on a bigger bike. Cheaper than you think. If you're just after fuel injection and a belt drive 900's are available used under $5k. And lots of inexpensive 1500, 1600, and 1700 models out there on the used (and even leftover new) market if you are wanting something bigger.

#6 ·
5k......yeah......this bike is on a budget......like no budget.....bought it registered it got it running.....new rear brakes...ordered speedo cable, front sprocket cover, and fixed the horn..all under 1k so far. think ill stick with the project till it's completion. who knows.....it could end up with a hd motor. but in either case not shelling out 5k for my first legal bike. now I just gotta meet ppl who know how to weld in my area........hmmmm......cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.