Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to switch out the front 21" wheel on my VN800a with the classic 16" wheel. I've heard mixed reviews from people saying I need to swap out the whole front end (triple trees, forks, etc) to people saying its as simple as swapping out the a bearings into the b bearings. Anybody with experience doing this have any advice?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looking to switch out the front 21" wheel on my VN800a with the classic 16" wheel. I've heard mixed reviews from people saying I need to swap out the whole front end (triple trees, forks, etc) to people saying its as simple as swapping out the a bearings into the b bearings. Anybody with experience doing this have any advice?
I have a 1999 800 Classic and looked into this.
Not as easy as you would think.
I see no one answered, but when i looked into this about two years ago I found you need to change forks - The distance between the ground and the front axle is different between the 16" and 21" wheel.
Also found the frame neck bearing angle (the rake) is different between a VN800A and VN800B.

check out my local parts guy's website, Honda,Kawasaki,Yamaha,Sea Doo, Can-Am Daytona Beach,FL-Daytona Fun Machines

Look up the part numbers on stuff like triple tree, forks, wheel spacers, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can't you just need to swap out the bearings from the a model to the classic rim? my rims in the shop right now getting the bearing swapped but i guess the mechanics having trouble getting the bearing to securely so I think I might have to end up either boring a bigger hole for the classic 20mm axel and keep the 16" bearings or get new forks altogether. also I know the brake calipers are different do you know if the single a model caliper would work for the 16" wheeL?

·
Registered
245 Posts
can't you just need to swap out the bearings from the a model to the classic rim? my rims in the shop right now getting the bearing swapped but i guess the mechanics having trouble getting the bearing to securely so I think I might have to end up either boring a bigger hole for the classic 20mm axel and keep the 16" bearings or get new forks altogether. also I know the brake calipers are different do you know if the single a model caliper would work for the 16" wheeL?
The single piston and the double piston calipers have different mounting brackets. The 800A and 800B have different brake mounting bosses on their forks, and use a different axle. (fender is different also). I think you be looking for 800B forks, axle, double piston caliper - everything from the triple tree down is different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have done this swap by just changing out the bearings with no problem. As for the brake caliper I just bought a used classic double piston to avoid any complication. I cant confirm the mounting points.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i still have the single piston that fit on my 16" front wheel fine and after i bled the brakes it stops on a dime but still a little worried as im not sure if itll cause complications especailly at hard stops. hopefuly not but does anyone have any insight on still using the singel piston caliper on the 16" wheel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts