Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the SW pulley's the front one squealed terribly due to the belt I was told. Installed the Baron's front, much better..The rear SW pulley wore unusually quick, I returned it to be hardened and re-worked. That was almost a year ago and it still isn't back. You can form your own opinion...

·
Registered
273 Posts
SW pulley

I must have been one of the lucky ones. Never had any squealing, had it for two season now, best upgrade I made on bike to date. Did the pulley, oversize rear tire. Was considering back pulley too, but leery of pressing my luck as I love it now, not sure how much better it could get?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SW Pulley's

I was told it was the material in the belt that was not compatible with the pulley. I believe this is true because The Baron's front pulley looks and feels much better to me, it is steel vs. Alum.. I have the front pulley which moves the wheel forward about and inch. With just the front pulley what tire did you use and how was the fit? I know the rear pulley moves the wheel position back an inch or so making an oversized tire easier to fit....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to my math, which is terrible like 5/4ths of all people don't understand fractions type math, but if I am close the pulley's drop the rpm's about 400 plus. I do believe the rpm's at 75 stock are 4300. If this is not correct help me out here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
pulley %

Sage: Do a search on here, someone already did the figuring for pulley RPM's, much talked about that it isn't worth it, doesn't make much difference. All I know it made a world of difference for me, makes it much more comfortable riding at 55, 60 and above. I don't have a tach and maybe it's all in my head but I believe the pulley and rear tire helps, I love it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over Drive Pulley 900 vul.

I have read that info somewhere. I like mine as well, but I ride with some Goomers who take long rides 5-6 days and they all ride big bore bikes. I fit in well until 75- up then I get buzzy. If not for this I wouldn't bother with it. Why not buy a larger bike one might ask? I like what I have, it fits me perfectly and I have it set up for road riding....Some big bikes only have 4 gal tanks and that is no good 150 to 160 miles can be a problem out in open country. If I have to I can go 225 mi. as is....I am too old to sink 20,000 dollars in a bike for a year or two's riding I am old and retired....Harley's above 2007 have six gal. tank and a six speed....very nice but tooooooo expensive for me and my situation...I have ridden my Kawa all over the United States......It is what it is...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the front pulley and belt squealed and the pulley wore out - literally just about collapsed. Sent back to SW for replacement but ran into their customer service demon and ended up swapping the front for the rear pulley (170-80 tire) and cash difference. Most of my miles are open road. I may do both some day. Don't know what SW is doing with their customer service as of late. I would rather be told up front of production problems than lied to.
Like most have said - it should have come from the factory like this.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I must have been one of the lucky ones. Never had any squealing, had it for two season now, best upgrade I made on bike to date. Did the pulley, oversize rear tire. Was considering back pulley too, but leery of pressing my luck as I love it now, not sure how much better it could get?
Ditto... Have both front & rear SW pulleys, no squeal, no wear difference on the rear pulley. Will be checking the front pulley when my rear tire is replaced. I have had them now for a year and approx 6000 miles. I understand when I bought mine they had changed the alloy and are much harder material. Still using stock belt as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Has anyone looked into, or know anyone using the Barons rear pulley? I'm interested in buying it, but feedback is always good, especially with a new product. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sw pulley's etc.

I have the Baron's front pulley, it is superior to the SW pulley. I talked to them about the rear pulley. I was told it is made of tempered Alum. I sent my SW rear pulley back to them almost a year ago to be re-built and tempered, they still have it. I called them last week and told them to just keep it that I would buy a Baron's.....Very poor service. It is no trouble to use a larger tire with the rear pulley, but I am wondering about the front pulley and a larger tire as the tire moves forward with just the front pulley. Comments appreciated....

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a free OEM pulley for a 08- 900 (shipping cost only, or If your in the St. Louis area, I can meet you somewhere and just give it away. I've upgraded about a half year ago to a BMW K bike, so I don't have any use for the pulley.
To add to the topic though, I did run one of the SW upgraded front pulley on my bike for over 25,000 miles and never had any issues with noise coming from it, but did have chirping from the first model that SW sent. They were gracious and quite forthcoming with the replacement, and I volunteered to pay for postage, so it only took about 3 weeks back then to change out to the newer version.....PM me if you want the pulley....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Baron's front pulley, it is superior to the SW pulley. I talked to them about the rear pulley. I was told it is made of tempered Alum. I sent my SW rear pulley back to them almost a year ago to be re-built and tempered, they still have it. I called them last week and told them to just keep it that I would buy a Baron's.....Very poor service. It is no trouble to use a larger tire with the rear pulley, but I am wondering about the front pulley and a larger tire as the tire moves forward with just the front pulley. Comments appreciated....
Sage. I have bigger rear tire (170/80) and had to cancel my front pulley order. I only have about 1/2 inch clearance with just tire size change. Front pulley would have left zero clearance as it pulls wheel forward just over 1/2 inch(so i understand anyway) im not sure how much the rear pulley would correct that but am curious aswell.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have both front and rear SW OD Pulley's. I got some squeaking and found that the front pulley and belt rubbed slightly to the inside pulley guard. I made minor modifications and now all is good. The Rear is ok...workmanship...alright. The change in bike performance with both is very nice. I still use the original belt. Installed in September 2012...rode till Dec 17th. Looking forward to Spring 2013. SW were good with delivery of both units and exchange of a rear unit (flawed finishing). They took 1 month for me to receive a shipping credit...otherwise all is good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts