Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to order a SW front pulley and have a question for those who have replaced the pulley. Looking at the SW website the front pulley is mounted by 6 bolts (no splines), but when I review my VN900 ('06-'10) Service Manual it shows a pulley with splines, and a single retaining nut. Would like to confirm reality, and I have not yet pulled the cover off mine as I thought I would start with this illustrious group. :smile-big:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yup the outer ring of the pulley is aluminum and screws to a steel spline that comes with it. Just not in the picture. The new pulley (reworked design) is not as shiney either as the aluminum is now annodized for hardness.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup the outer ring of the pulley is aluminum and screws to a steel spline that comes with it. Just not in the picture. The new pulley (reworked design) is not as shiney either as the aluminum is now annodized for hardness.
Thank you. That makes sense. Do the instuctions list what to torque the 6 bolts to on the adaptor spline?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank you. That makes sense. Do the instuctions list what to torque the 6 bolts to on the adaptor spline?

When mine came the two pieces were connected and ready to put on the spline (no assembly required) if it comes in disconected you would need to talk to scootworks or I would sent it back.
Don't have the manual right now but 90 ft/lbs comes to mind for the spline nut. If you have or can borrow an air impact wrench that is a big help. Biggest problem is holding the pulley in place while you remove the spline nut. Really helps to have a helper or the tool that is made to hold the pulley.

I know you will enjoy the pulley. Be sure to get the belt tension right or the birds will visit you a lot.

Enjoy and Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When mine came the two pieces were connected and ready to put on the spline (no assembly required) if it comes in disconected you would need to talk to scootworks or I would sent it back.
Don't have the manual right now but 90 ft/lbs comes to mind for the spline nut. If you have or can borrow an air impact wrench that is a big help. Biggest problem is holding the pulley in place while you remove the spline nut. Really helps to have a helper or the tool that is made to hold the pulley.

I know you will enjoy the pulley. Be sure to get the belt tension right or the birds will visit you a lot.

Enjoy and Ride Safe.
Thanks, know what to expect when it arrives.

Have an impact wrench, do you think it could be used to remove the nut as well? Also have a 1/2 inch torque wrench as a final check.

I have in the manual a belt tension (deflection) as 1.5 ~ 4.0mm with 10lbs of force. Would you agree? With the new pulleys if this needs to be different.

Thanks, Russ (bosco)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks, know what to expect when it arrives.

Have an impact wrench, do you think it could be used to remove the nut as well? Also have a 1/2 inch torque wrench as a final check.

I have in the manual a belt tension (deflection) as 1.5 ~ 4.0mm with 10lbs of force. Would you agree? With the new pulleys if this needs to be different.

Thanks, Russ (bosco)
Air impact (torque) wrench, electric same same, makes the job much easer. Tension on the belt should be set at factory specs.

Oh and we will see how long it is before that rear pulley starts looking really good.

You got the 411 now go have fun.

See ya on the slab some time I hope.

Just realized you were talking about a hammer impact, I have not seen one of those in a long time. Work "OF COURSE" you just need a big hammer and lots of OOOMMMMPPPP.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Once you get the front pulley dialed in and get in the zone, I will bet you will think "if the front pulley is this good what would both do" At least I did. I really like having both, whole other gear installed.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once you get the front pulley dialed in and get in the zone, I will bet you will think "if the front pulley is this good what would both do" At least I did. I really like having both, whole other gear installed.
:smile-big: My rear pulley arrives on Monday, started thinking why not do both, just needed the $$$ for the front.

·
Registered
424 Posts
:smile-big: My rear pulley arrives on Monday, started thinking why not do both, just needed the $$$ for the front.
:D:D:D:D:D:D: Ok you got me, let me get of the floor.

Have you visited gearingcommander.com if not I highly recommend it gives you some interesting info.

You will love the way the back tire is moved to the rear, that empty hole goes away looks much better. Get ready to have to relearn shifting patterns and shift points, yup it's great. Takes a little feathering for first gear start but it's not bad.
You do know about the difference in the speedo, right.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bytehead;195390Get ready to have to relearn shifting patterns and shift points said:
Yep understand the whole re-learning first gear feathering, shifting, and the speedo change. Figure when speedo shows 65 (actual speed will be closer to 70).

Thanks for all your help.
Russ (bosco)

·
Registered
696 Posts
FWIW, I have a SW rear pulley and a 200 rear tire, which probably gives me similar gearing to having both pulleys and the OEM rear tire.

I really like this combo, but I am thinking of also getting the front pulley and keeping the 200 rear tire. :) I have more than enough power/torque in 1st gear to suit my needs and don't think that adding the front pulley would hurt. I'm not into drag racing or even really fast take offs. I have had no trouble keeping up with other riders, but maybe that's because they're a bunch of old farts or old fart wannabes too.

I guess that I'm a lot more sensitive to the high revs than a lot of (most?) 900 owners. But, I do a lot of freeway running at 75 or so. Before getting the rear pulley and 200 tire, I was pretty miserable on the freeways.

I've also got an eye on a 1700 or a v2k to supplement the 900 for freeway driving.... :D

Kerry

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not to Rain on Your Parade But.

FWIW, I have a SW rear pulley and a 200 rear tire, which probably gives me similar gearing to having both pulleys and the OEM rear tire.

I really like this combo, but I am thinking of also getting the front pulley and keeping the 200 rear tire. :) I have more than enough power/torque in 1st gear to suit my needs and don't think that adding the front pulley would hurt. I'm not into drag racing or even really fast take offs. I have had no trouble keeping up with other riders, but maybe that's because they're a bunch of old farts or old fart wannabes too.

I guess that I'm a lot more sensitive to the high revs than a lot of (most?) 900 owners. But, I do a lot of freeway running at 75 or so. Before getting the rear pulley and 200 tire, I was pretty miserable on the freeways.

I've also got an eye on a 1700 or a v2k to supplement the 900 for freeway driving.... :D

Kerry
OK I am making an assumption the 200 tire is a 200/70, right? wrong?.
If that is correct you may want to consider this further. Here are the numbers
Current setup -10.04 percent from stock. Yup close to both pulleys which are -11.59
add the front pulley -5.88 percent from current setup
total with front pulley -15.34 from stock.

The good thing is 75 mph is -673rpms from stock. :D
The bad thing is you loose a ton of torque.:( You may have plenty of first gear now. But getting on the freeway may become the most exciting part of your day as in :eek: because the gears will be very stretched out and acceleration will suffer, In my opinion of course.

However if you get the rear pulley, when your back tire is shot, and go back to the 180/70, or might I suggest a trip to the darkside:cool:, since you put on slab miles, then all would be right with the world.

Those numbers would be
both pulleys with stock tire,yuk, -11.59 percent from stock -508rpms from stock
both pulleys with darkside :cool: -11.80 percent from stock -518rpms from stock

This is all assuming your bike is stock since you did not mention any power modes. With increased power the higher percentage may not be a factor. I have a good feel for the setup and know what power it takes to take advantage of the higher percentages.

Something to consider.

"All calculations complements of http://gearingcommander.com/"

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi John,

No rain here. I mentioned it as something that I'd consider, because I think the rpms at 75 are still too high for my tastes. But I haven't done any research yet, because it's not a pressing issue. I realize that accelerating in any given gear would be less, but that just means winding out the lower gears farther, which is what you do when you add both pulleys or a pulley and big tire, etc. Having all 3 would be more of the same.

I'm not completely understanding the numbers that you came up with, but that's okay. As I said, it's not a pressing issue. I'm fairly happy with the current setup and don't really want to spend the bucks buying and getting the front pulley installed. :)

FYI, I also have a Cobra fi2000, BAK and Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust, which gives me a little more push.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, Thanks for all the great info. Ordered the SW front pulley tonight, will have the rear delivered on Monday, and will install both when received. Will consider the 200/70 when the time comes and I get the chance to ride the new set up for a while.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi John,

No rain here. I mentioned it as something that I'd consider, because I think the rpms at 75 are still too high for my tastes. But I haven't done any research yet, because it's not a pressing issue. I realize that accelerating in any given gear would be less, but that just means winding out the lower gears farther, which is what you do when you add both pulleys or a pulley and big tire, etc. Having all 3 would be more of the same.

I'm not completely understanding the numbers that you came up with, but that's okay. As I said, it's not a pressing issue. I'm fairly happy with the current setup and don't really want to spend the bucks buying and getting the front pulley installed. :)

FYI, I also have a Cobra fi2000, BAK and Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust, which gives me a little more push.

Kerry
Yup we got lots of rain on Tuesday, 12 inches up in North Texas, north of me, where the lake runoff area is. OUR LAKES ARE FULL AGAIN, been two years.

I have your same feeling even with the two pulleys, the rpms will wear you down, getting old is not a lot of fun. But most of my miles are in Dallas.

I have your same power setup but a PC unit so know just how much push you are getting.

I now know you enjoy your ride as much as I do. :cool:
Stay safe.

Bosco;
You are going to love the pulleys.

WARNING this modification may cause the ingestion of insects due to the inability to properly seal lips.:D

·
Registered
382 Posts
90 ft.lbs is correct torque... I had an old style and the belt would squeak no matter what I did with it. I sent it in, they 'reworked it' (looks like they sent me a new one...) and it's great now.

I had the belt on, one foot on the rear brake, and set the torque wrench on the nut just so you can lean over and pull. Yes it's awkward.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, my front pulley will be delayed 2-3 weeks... :disapointed: So, I decided go go ahead and install the rear pulley tonight. First time to pull the rear wheel, seems fairly straight forward. Install went incrediably smooth, and reassembled easy.

My only question for those who have installed only the rear pulley:
1) Did you run out of tension adjustment?
2) Adjusted tension to 4-5mm deflection, does this sound right? I think the manual states 1.5-4mm.
3) Adjusted belt alignment with about a dimes thickness from the outside pulley edge (about the same as the stock pulley set up).

Did a 2 mile test ride tonight and no noise smooth as silk. Belt alignment looked good when I got home (same position). But, I am questioning the belt tension, is it enough?

Opinions??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Okay, my front pulley will be delayed 2-3 weeks... :disapointed: So, I decided go go ahead and install the rear pulley tonight. First time to pull the rear wheel, seems fairly straight forward. Install went incrediably smooth, and reassembled easy.

My only question for those who have installed only the rear pulley:
1) Did you run out of tension adjustment?
2) Adjusted tension to 4-5mm deflection, does this sound right? I think the manual states 1.5-4mm.
3) Adjusted belt alignment with about a dimes thickness from the outside pulley edge (about the same as the stock pulley set up).

Did a 2 mile test ride tonight and no noise smooth as silk. Belt alignment looked good when I got home (same position). But, I am questioning the belt tension, is it enough?

Opinions??
1. not all the way, but almost.
2. Yup sounds good, did you let the wheel swing all the way down first.
3. That would be correct.

The belt will tell you if the tension is not right. If it, sequels like a pig, or sounds like a flock of angry birds it is not right. If all you hear is pipes you are great.

Congrats very few people get it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1. not all the way, but almost.
2. Yup sounds good, did you let the wheel swing all the way down first.
3. That would be correct.

The belt will tell you if the tension is not right. If it, sequels like a pig, or sounds like a flock of angry birds it is not right. If all you hear is pipes you are great.

Congrats very few people get it right the first time.
Thanks for the quick response.
No sure by "did you let the wheel swing all the way down first"? I did have the bike on a jack with the swing arm & wheel hanging unsupport. Also checked the tension once the bike was on the ground, a little less deflection.

Well, I read enough forum posts to give me a chance to get it right. All great information.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts