Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ridden a Suzuki c50 or M50? Any info appreciated. Specifically regarding dependability, comfort, and how it is riding with 2 people. Seeing a few good deals on both. Also what would you call high mileage on that bike?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So buying one with just under 40,000 would not be too risky. Where I live we have a very short riding season, and not so great of an economy. So there are lots of bikes for sale with 10,000-20,000km. When you see one with double or triple that which is pretty rare, it screams “high mileage” but I guess it’s only by comparison.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ok. So buying one with just under 40,000 would not be too risky. Where I live we have a very short riding season, and not so great of an economy. So there are lots of bikes for sale with 10,000-20,000km. When you see one with double or triple that which is pretty rare, it screams “high mileage” but I guess it’s only by comparison.
I owned a '07 C-50 and a '09 C-50T. Both bikes were good. I don't keep any bikes as long as I used to - more financially secure ( not rich, but...), and just get bored and want something different. That being said, I would recommend a C-50 to folks who: don't need to ride fast, don't have a lot of disposable income, don't WANT to spend a lot, or don't worry about brand recognition.
It is just a nice in-town cruiser. On the highway, it is good if you go slow, or don't mind high engine speeds at 60+ mph.
It is a water-cooled, 800 cc, with a 5 speed and shaft drive. The driveshaft sometimes will "jack-shaft" the bike on bumpy roads. It runs high rpm's at speeds over 50 (at least, if you're used to larger engines). I read it uses the same 2-stage fuel injection system as their GSXR sportbikes, so it doesn't lack power - it just revs much higher over 60 mph. BUT, it gets GREAT mileage.
It is light, for a cruiser. It is fairly comfortable (especially if you put a Mustang seat on it). The rear shock is weak and kind of a pain to adjust, but not terrible. The factory windshield is good, or a National Cycle that's made for it (I think they are the same shield). It runs really smooth. Most importantly, they are a hoot to ride on a twisty road!
You may or may not need a valve adjustment @ 26k miles ( recommended, but may not need it). A lot of plastic body parts, so won't take a lot of abuse, but Goldwings are all plastic, and I haven't heard anyone bitch about that.
If you go online, and research a Harley Softail, or other similar bikes, you will find this bike is lighter, has a long wheelbase, and good steering rake angle and is easy to maintain, for thousands less.
Looks wise, it is pretty, but not unique - typical metric cruiser. If you want something a little similar, but sportier, the M-50 is just about the same bike, with a sportier personality.
Best to buy it as a left-over, heavilly discounted new, or buy lightly used, well cared for, from some Yuppie that wanted to try a motorcycle, lost interest and his wife is nagging him to get rid of it. That's my take on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts