Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weigh just under 200lbs with gear.

Only me on the bike and never 2 up.

Smooth roads without potholes but 1 or 2 speedhumps in my daily commute.

What is the ideal re-laid suspension setting number (between 1 - 7)?

ROmper

· Registered
179 Posts
I weigh 200 lbs and have mine set on 4. I found 2 and 3 to be too soft. I bought the bike new early in 2009, currently have 21,000km on it. I ride solo. The supplied tool works good and I didn't lift the bike to make any of the adjustments.

· Registered
409 Posts
I'm about 170 lbs, but if you factor in the weight I've bolted on (engine guard, light bar, bags, etc) I'm sure the load is topping over 200. I've settled on 6. I used a large socket (forget the exact size but large enough to fit over the handle of the supplied tool) with a breaker bar and it was a snap. It can be a knuckle buster from what I've read.

· Premium Member
20 Posts
thanks.

WOW - that is on the extreme soft.

How different does it feel at that level?

Do you need to jack the bike up with rear wheel off ground to make the adjustment?

Romper
Extremely soft. I suppose. Has never bottomed out... Very soon after acquiring the bike, my idea was to try settings 1 and 7 then choose my inbetween number. Happened to try 1 first...kept it.
Did not lift the wheel. Used the tool kit tools to adjust. Adjustment turned fairly easily. Was surprised to read others were difficult to turn. Maybe because I was going in the spring weaker direction?

· Registered
143 Posts
I had actually been wondering about this. Mine is still set at factory default position (4). I weigh about 85kg (190lb) and because I ride it to college, I regularly have up to 15kg of books and things on board. Bolt on gear maybe 5-10 kg. Totals about 110kg (240lb).

If I understand it correctly, stronger setting = less likely to bottom out, but a rougher ride?

Reactions: jbiggers

· Premium Member
20 Posts
I had actually been wondering about this. Mine is still set at factory default position (4). I weigh about 85kg (190lb) and because I ride it to college, I regularly have up to 15kg of books and things on board. Bolt on gear maybe 5-10 kg. Totals about 110kg (240lb).

If I understand it correctly, stronger setting = less likely to bottom out, but a rougher ride?
Yes, that is how I understand it works. Also, I did not note any change in handling.....going from 4 to 1. It probably sits lower now. Probably would be more likely to drag something in a corner....but I am old and do not plan to take any fast sharp corners. So not an issue for me.

· Registered
143 Posts
Roughly how long does it take to adjust the pre-load settings? I've not tried to do this yet.

I suspect I would like to soften mine up a touch, but when I carry a passenger (which I only do occasionally) I would need to firm it up again. Is it a quick and easy process?

· Premium Member
20 Posts
Roughly how long does it take to adjust the pre-load settings? I've not tried to do this yet.

I suspect I would like to soften mine up a touch, but when I carry a passenger (which I only do occasionally) I would need to firm it up again. Is it a quick and easy process?
I saved this from another post.

Attachments

· Registered
39 Posts
Reading obout suspension adjustment methods and skinned knuckles makes me wonder if some people are not assembling the three supplied pieces of the tool. It takes about 30 minutes including a cup of tea.
The book tyre pressures are probably fine for highway cruising, and make the bike soft, but the higher pressures needed for more precise handling on the windy stuff mean that I have my damper on 4. I am a largish chap.. There is a comprehensive online workshop manual . Search VN900 service manual. It is a big document.

· Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
171 Posts
I'm not sure what you consider big, but I probably weigh around 200 lbs (91 kg).
There are 7 possible presets with 7 having the strongest spring action.

The manual says:
The standard setting position for an
average-build rider of 68 kg (150 lb)
with no passenger and no accessories
is No. 4.

I would have went to position 5, but since my wife rides with me sometimes and together we weigh about 317 lbs (144 kg), I went with position 6.

· No Sacred Cows
94 Posts
Calling all BIG guys!
What setting are you running?
I'm the poster boy for the "Fat Biker" image at 6'2" and 50 lbs overweight (+ all the heavy leather gear I wear) so I went to position 6. By the way, you don't need to dismantle anything from the bike other than remove the plastic cover with the keyhole or skin your knuckles if you have the tools from the Kawi tool kit. I easily adjusted the shock with the 3-piece tool provided in the kit by sliding it just behind the coolant cover and above the belt. To be honest changing the shock pre-load didn't make a whole lot of difference to the ride and my riding buddies (most on HD big twins) still claim that I look like a dog screwing a football. Excuse my French...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.