Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
301 Posts
C;mon man - nobody said you had to do it. You probed the pond with several questions.
As was explained earlier:
"Suspenson Settings are something of an oddity, most people seem to think changing the preload setting changes the strength of the shock or the max load capacity it does not. My understanding is the preload only prevents the spring from rebounding all the way to max extension, going from setting 1 to setting 4 for example would reduce the amount of rebound by about 1 inch, so the rider who sits down will not feel the bike collapse under him when he places his weight on the bike but would feel solid, then the spring damping would proceed from there. If that is out in LA LA land I would love some one to splain it. "

You pursued it as a possibility and people only tried to help. If there AIN'T an ISSUE, don't try to break anything!!!

You do you bruh and just ride. :cool:

Can someone explain to me why setting them correct preload for the rider weight is important. Because I’m not making the connection. This is how I think about it.

my current preload is set at the stock 4 and I don’t bottom out my bike and I think its comfortable. If I bump the preload up to 6 or 7 where it should be for my weight, wouldn’t that just make it a harder ride and more uncomfortable on my rear end??? So what’s the benefit???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
C;mon man - nobody said you had to do it. You probed the pond with several questions.
As was explained earlier:
"Suspenson Settings are something of an oddity, most people seem to think changing the preload setting changes the strength of the shock or the max load capacity it does not. My understanding is the preload only prevents the spring from rebounding all the way to max extension, going from setting 1 to setting 4 for example would reduce the amount of rebound by about 1 inch, so the rider who sits down will not feel the bike collapse under him when he places his weight on the bike but would feel solid, then the spring damping would proceed from there. If that is out in LA LA land I would love some one to splain it. "

You pursued it as a possibility and people only tried to help. If there AIN'T an ISSUE, don't try to break anything!!!

You do you bruh and just ride. :cool:
No no, you misunderstand! I am just genuinely curious and trying to learn as much as I can! I’m thankful for everyone’s input! Honestly I’m gonna ride on the #4 present for a bit and the bump it up and see. Who knows! Like you said, gotta go ride! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I applaud anyone who is trying to learn more about their machine. The more you know, the better a rider you'll be, the better maintained your bike will be, and the less likely you'll be taken advantage of by dishonest or incompetent mechanics. When I first started driving (then riding), I decided that the first accessory I would buy for every vehicle would be a service manual. That concept has served me well over the years. I rarely need to hire a mechanic. Mostly only when a job requires expensive, special tools or equipment.

Ride on, Stay Safe and never, never stop learning.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts