Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a set of used exhaust that has some surface rust on the back side. Is it something that'll get worse over time? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but these are matte black. The rust is on the back side where you can't see it. I'm just worried about it getting worse.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Home depot sells a rust inhibitor. I used it on my boat trailer. works great. I would use it then touch up the paint so it won't spread.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you are worried about it, Use a little Ospho (Phosphoric acid) to convert it from iron oxide to iron phosphate. If it is out of sight already, this will stop it from advancing. You can dip it, brush it, or smear it on with a Q-tip in hard to reach areas

Of course you could go all crazy and get the pipes blasted and ceramic coated.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i know your pipes are black but the harley shops sell little containers called Blue Job it's a powder you spite on a small chrome area dab the cloth that comes with it into the spit and dab into the powder then rub it on the area making a paste and rub and rub and slowly it removes small bits of rust will not scratch chrome but be warned this little box of powder is not cheap

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I bought some Locktite rust remover that worked great, then sprayed it with Rustoleum black paint for grills.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fine steel wool

I bought my 900 with black hard chrome pipes, there were several places that had some rust spots on the outside. I used a fine steel wool to remove the little rust spots and then I rubbed a light coating of oil onto my pipes. So far no more little rust spots and i have not had to reapply any more oil. the pipes are not perfect but they do look a lot better. how did painting your pipes work out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts