Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good recommendations for styles of sunglasses or night time driving eye protection? I have some big old cop sunglasses now that do OK - they're oversized enough to protect but every time I turn my head I'm afraid they'll fly off. Not interested in wearing a visor.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I use prescription goggles from www.sportrx.com. It's great to have eye protection, keeps the wind out and I can see without bothering to wear sun glasses plus something else. I have not bothered for night driving as I avoid it but I have a pair of oversized clear goggles from an HD store that fit over my glasses for when I do need to drive at night.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
Depending on how much wind you get, and I am guessing from the bike description you don't have a windshield, then you want a decent pair of foam surround safety glasses. These come in tinted and clear. You should be able to pick up a pair for less than $20. But at this price range don't expect high durrability.

The ones you want will have some curve to them to help prevent vorticies at the edges of the lenses. They should have foam on the inside of the frame to "seal" against your face. Even though the seal doesn't really happen for 99% of heads they do limit the amount of air coming around them.

Those are what I wear when wearing contacts or I just wear my regular glasses - but then again I have a windshield so I don't get a lot of wind in the face.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered this set last night:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VFNZEY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

They were actually a buck cheaper last night than this morning. Odd. Still, looks like some good options. Now I need to get some bags to keep them in. While I like the clean, clutter free look of a nearly bobbed bike, I'm starting to get irritated at not having a place to throw a few things. My mom made jars of pesto last night and offered a couple to me but I couldn't because I rode my bike to her house.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The problem I have with these cheap glasses is that they are easily scratched or scuffed up.

I have to buy the cheap stuff though because I will invariably lose or break them.

I buy the cheap clear glasses with the bifocals from the hardware area at wallymart.

I have a ton of cheapie sunglasses but a majority of the time I wear my Bolle's that I got for Fathers day. :glasses-cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use the saftey glasses that I get at work. They wrap around my face and work perfect. For the daytime, I useually go into the local garden equipment shop and buy a pair or two for ten bucks for two. They're shaped almost identicle to my clear ones from work, but are DARK tinted. Got lucky a few times and got some mirror tinted ones. Dont beat on your glasses and they should last you a good while.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lose or break sunglasses too much. I've bought $150 Ray-Bans and lost them, $100 Oakleys and my dog ate them, $75 Bolle's and lost them. Now I buy cheapo glasses. Cheap sunglasses are a good way to prevent child abuse, because i nearly kill my kids when they play with my good ones.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
A local H-D dealer sells glasses that look like this;

They are AWESOME. They sell them for $8, I always have a pair that's sunglasses and a pair that's clear (for night). They stay on, they are comfortable, they cover your eyes completely. Perfect!

I've been trying to find them online but it's hard to find ones where you don't have to buy a dozen, or more! They are shipped from China and some of these Harley dealers have their logos printed onto them. But if you can find them, those are it! I loose them occasionally, too; so cheap is good!

But if you wanna buy 'em by the dozen for about $15/dz they are here;

http://www.supplylinedirect.com/safety-glasses/direct-value-frameless-safety-spectacles/

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a Victory-branded pair that has interchangeable lenses. They came with dark, yellow, and clear, and they're really convenient and work well.

Sadly, I'm not supposed to wear contacts anymore, so while they're okay for the daytime, I'm sort of sunk at night when I'm easily glareblinded by oncoming headlights when I don't have corrective lenses on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A local H-D dealer sells glasses that

They are AWESOME. They sell them for $8, I always have a pair that's sunglasses and a pair that's clear (for night). They stay on, they are comfortable, of these Harley dealers have their logos printed onto them. But if you can find them, those are it! I loose them occasionally, too; so cheap is good!

But if you wanna buy 'em by the dozen for about $15/dz they are here;

http://www.supplylinedirect.com/safety-glasses/direct-value-frameless-safety-spectacles/
These are the exact same safety glasses I wear at work. I get them for nothing and can usually snag an extra pair here and there. I wear the tinted ones as my sunglasses with absolute certainty that I will never, ever lose or break them...because they're free. Give me a good pair, and I'll lose them in a week. I highly recommend them for riding too. The most comfortable glasses I've ever worn and they don't fly off if you turn your head.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I purchased a similar pair like that from HD in a clear lens for night riding but find it has a nasty glare with on coming lights. Suppose some are better than others...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These showed up today! Three pairs of sunglasses: untinted, dark tint, and yellow tint. The quality is decent, the lenses are anti-fog on both sides and they're lined with foam to reduce the gap between face and frame.

The yellow REALLY make things brighter. I'm looking forward to a nighttime ride in them. Did my first night-ride this week, only about 40 miles but I swear it felt like swimming in the ocean at night.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
What about going to Wallys world and or a sunshade vendor at a mall and buy a pair of the eyeglass retaining strings??? Suck it up real close and they will not blow off or if the string get some slack in the string the glasses they will not fall to the ground....

I use the safety glasses from work and the legs, stems, ear pieces fit snug, plus I wear a modular helmet so nothing goes awry even with the chin bar raised.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use Nemisis safety glasses from a welding shop in town here. They have everything from dark tint, amber lenses, yellow and clear. They wrap around and protect very well. I get them for around $4 a pair and have several of each lens style. Not sure how widely available they are, but they do the job and are cheep. Just like I like it, because I too invariably lose/break/scratch any decent pair of sunglasses that I get.

·
Registered
357 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Birdz-Eyewear-Thrasher-Motorcycle-Glasses-Convert-/dp/B0021ELWRI/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1375203353&sr=1-3&keywords=birdz+eyewear[/ame]

bought these and a clear set for night. They have removable arms to make them goggles if you want them that way.

so Harley dealers sell Chinese made items. makes me glad they are hypocrites. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use the saftey glasses that I get at work. They wrap around my face and work perfect.

For the daytime, I usually go into the local garden equipment shop and buy a pair or two for ten bucks for two. They're shaped almost identicle to my clear ones from work, but are DARK tinted. Got lucky a few times and got some mirror tinted ones. Don't beat on your glasses and they should last you a good while.
Safety glasses work for me too.
grainger, nice wide lens, and occasionally reasonable. we have a local warehouse that has them over the counter cheap... 3 for $10

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CONDOR-Safety-Glasses-H1299?Pid=search

I purchased a similar pair like that from HD in a clear lens for night riding but find it has a nasty glare with on coming lights.

get a pair with a very light tint, we use a light blue

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I use our safety glass line from work called "Ztec" ...come in Blue,Smoke, Tinted...fit your face nice,wrap around your eyes so no wind...the smoke ones are almost clear and are some of the best night lenses out there due to the smoke in them helps with headlight glare.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used shooting glasses when I used to work in a machine shop. I don't fabricate anymore but still wear them at the range and every now an then working on the honey-do list. I figure those dang birds are ballistic objects and my eyes need ballistic protection from them!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts