Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I know it is not summer in USA. But since we are now in the riding season (winter) and planning to buy a Jacket which can also be used in the summer. Our summer temperature can be more the 115 Deg F and the winter temperature can be a minimum of 55 to 60 Deg F. So i assume a summer riding jacket will be ideal for me for all season riding (we have rain max of 5 days in a year). Without compromising anything on the safety side what can be purchased? A full leather any way wont work due to extreme hot condition. How about a perforated leather? or a leather and mesh mix? or textile mesh mix? any thoughts?
Right now I am looking at these jackets,

1. REVIT - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-tornado-jacket
2. Joe Rocket - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-radar-jacket
3. Joe Rocket - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-alter-ego-30-jacket
4. Dianese - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-textile-jacket

The last two are not leather, but with more air flow. Any recommendations?

thanks

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I can't comment on any of the exact jackets that you have links to, but last year I did order a different Joe Rocket Jacket https://www.denniskirk.com/joe-rocket/blaster-4-0-perforated-gunmetal-jacket.prod2130068.prd/354875150.sku. It does not have a liner in it (Which I wish it did) but when it starts to get cool (50s F) i just put a sweat shirt on under it. The fabric panels breath well. You can feel some air coming through the leather when it get cool but it is not when it is hot. I like it for what I ride in over here. (100-40 F temps).

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Consider the Bohn Armor shirt as well. The Bohn Bodyguard Airtex Armored Shirt flows air like crazy, as it is made similar to a sports jersey. Go to www.bohnarmor.com and click on Armored Shirts.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hey CV,

I would guess you don't ride in the shade much either.
You should really consider color too.

I have a black mesh jacket that moves a lot of air; but absorbs radiant heat like crazy.

I bought a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket in silver this year. The airflow is decent, but the light color really makes a difference too. The only drawback is that it shows dirt pretty bad.

It doesn't come with a liner; but like SWVA said, in cooler weather you can wear a sweatshirt or light windbreaker under it and you'll be fine.

Scott

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
In addition to the other brands already mentioned, also look at Scorpion, Cortech, and Tourmaster. River Road also makes mesh stuff but they mainly focus on leather.

Between all of those you should be able to find something that fits your needs and the look you want.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Also it would not hurt to try some on, or at least find some reviews about the fit. Last year when I got my Joe Rocket perforated leather jacket, I had ordered a fieldsheer mesh jacket. I ended up sending it back because of the fit. I felt like it was made to accommodate a pear (little shoulders and big gut). The Joe Rocket seemed to fit a little me a better. More "can" shaped, I guess you could say.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is the maximum summer temperature in USA? I assume Arizona is the place, and what are the riding jackets people wear over there? Anybody from Arizona here?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Yeah the desert starts are the hotter ones. I can't help ya here because the heat we get here also come with humidity. You did get a response from TX and one from FL. I have not been to FL but I know TX has a lot of the dry heat that you all probably have over there. I tell most people that the most miserable part of my trip to TX as when I landed in Charlotte NC, it was about 20 degrees (F) cooler but 10x more humid.

I know there are some folks on here from Arid-Zona, Nevada, and New Mexico areas. Maybe they will chime in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
classic, a lot of this is going to depend on where and when you ride. Are you riding to work? recreation? day? night? during the rain? Because I can tell you even perforated leather in temperatures above 90F are going to soak you with sweat. If arriving some place in a clean appearance, such as work, is your goal then this won't cut it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Meatwad, as i explained b4 we have a very hotty and humid atmosphere here during summer and i guess our winter could be like your summer. So what i basically need is a summer jacket. And safety is an important factor i am considering here so a perforated leather. That being said all these arise after considering the the online reviews and people experience from US and UK where climate is entirely different from middleeast. Another point what i understood is that the mesh jacket which is the best for a 100 plus deg climate wont survive if you crash. Though nobody will plan for a crash but, taking enough precautions if just in case.
I normally ride to work except the three extreme summer months, through the tight start and stop traffic. I also do the weekend rides etc..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket...Rasp 2.0 (I think). But I really like it when it is warm. The color I have is black. I live in Az and have ridden in weather down to about 40 and upwards of 105. All good, though I was a little chilly. I like the textiles better for summer and leather for winter.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
what is the maximum summer temperature in USA? I assume Arizona is the place, and what are the riding jackets people wear over there? Anybody from Arizona here?
:D The U.S. covers a large cross section of temperate zones; and people usually acclimate to their area pretty well.

I like to take an August vacation into a cooler region. It feels great to me and my family; but I still hear the locals complaining about heat and humidity.

Here in North TX you can bet on getting quite a few days at 105+ with around 75% humidity.
To me, that's hot and uncomfortable.
I will ride to and from work, but usually won't ride for fun in those temps.

Full grain Leather with CE armor is going to provide the best abrasion and impact protection.
When you start adding perforations, splitting, sanding ext; your abrasion protection reduces.

I think textiles like Cordura are next in line below full grain leather, then Mesh after that.

But, the only protection that counts; is the one you're wearing when you go down. That great looking expensive leather hanging in the closet won't do anything.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
:D The U.S. covers a large cross section of temperate zones; and people usually acclimate to their area pretty well.

I like to take an August vacation into a cooler region. It feels great to me and my family; but I still hear the locals complaining about heat and humidity.

Here in North TX you can bet on getting quite a few days at 105+ with around 75% humidity.
To me, that's hot and uncomfortable.
I will ride to and from work, but usually won't ride for fun in those temps.

Full grain Leather with CE armor is going to provide the best abrasion and impact protection.
When you start adding perforations, splitting, sanding ext; your abrasion protection reduces.

I think textiles like Cordura are next in line below full grain leather, then Mesh after that.

But, the only protection that counts; is the one you're wearing when you go down. That great looking expensive leather hanging in the closet won't do anything.

Scott
That is so true. For me that is one of the reasons I got the Perforated leather. I had a nice thick full grain insulated leather jacket, but I would not wear it in the dead of summer because it was so HOT. So I went in short sleeve t-shirt all the time.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That is so true. For me that is one of the reasons I got the Perforated leather. I had a nice thick full grain insulated leather jacket, but I would not wear it in the dead of summer because it was so HOT. So I went in short sleeve t-shirt all the time.
I bought my River Road Sedona jacket thinking that a mesh with a thermal windproof liner would work for hot and cold.
But, it is black and just roasted me in the sun.:sun:

I ended up buying a thin white long sleeved shirt for riding in the summer sun.:( I think it's abrasion protection was somewhere near.....let's see....zero!:D

This summer I got the silver Joe Rocket, and I'm content.

I think next winter I will take my time, do some research and get a nice winter leather.

Scott

·
Registered
63 Posts
classic, I'm sure my climate is different than yours although our summer months are hot and humid so I think I can appreciate what you'll be riding in. For summer riding I have worn this:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-t-gp-plus-air-jacket
It flows a LOT of air. I bought the red and white version. Doesn't exactly go with my bike but it's a good jacket. The only thing I don't like on it is the velcro on the sleeves. If I were going to buy another alpinestars mesh jacket I would try this one:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-viper-air-jacket

I can't speak for the abrasion protection of the mesh as I've never crashed in any. But one good thing about those jackets is the location of the mesh is under your arms and on your chest. The likely impact areas are solid. You can even find some like this that have leather in the likely impact areas:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-reactor-30-jacket

Like Scott said it's best to find something you can ride comfortably in or you eventually won't wear it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meatwad, thanks for the link. In fact the Joe Rocket Reactor 3 is the first on my list followed by Alpinestars T GP R (not plus as you mentioned) as it has more ventilation on the back as per Revzilla. But my problem is that i am completely depended on online review as i cant physically try any of these jackets locally here. What we have are few Icon and Xelement (i think Xlement and leatherup are same jackets?) jackets in a shop almost 180km away from my city, that too priced double than US but at least we can try to clear fitment and then buy online.
How do you guys rate Icon over Joe Rocket?

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is one of the reasons I prefer revzilla for ordering online. They'll help you find the right size before you order. Also check out the video reviews on their site; especially for Icon jackets.

Honestly, I've only ever had 1 piece of Joe Rocket equipment. It was the UFO Reactor 2 jacket. It fit decent but a snap came off of it the very first time I tried it on and so I returned it. Personally having seen and tried on both Joe Rocket and Icon equipment in person I much prefer Icon.

I find that Joe Rocket has a very generous fit (lots of room in the torso) while Icon varies. Their "sport fit" jackets fit taller, skinnier guys than me. I'm 5'8" with a 39" chest and a 32" waist. I tried on the Icon Overlord jacket and it was tight on me but excellent quality.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have not tried on any of the Icon products but like most companies, both of them offer cheap line of stuff and a better quality line of stuff. What I am saying is be sure to compare similar quality jackets between the 2 companies.

And as for revzilla, I find their reviews on there stuff very helpful when trying to order anything online, they seem to really put forth some effort in their videos and explaining how everything is sized.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Over here most of the people are ordering parts and gears from US or Europe (I bought my 2006 900 from ebay:eek:). Mostly from ebay, Revzilla, STG, BTOsports, FC moto (German). I have seen motosports here as a sponsor, but they never bothered to reply my emails nor pms in this forum.

But i must say that Revzilla are the people with an outstanding sales support to choose gears and also with more collection...though they dont keep Draggin jeans which is my favorite.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts