Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Spring is here and in a few weeks it will be Summer, at least in Texas, has anybody found a jacket they like in summer time down here in the south?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got a TourMaster Mesh jacket last year and I love it! I know NY is not Texas, but the mesh will keep you cool. It also has a wind/water proof liner as well as another liner for wormth for those chilly nights. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I live in Southeast Texas and I use an X-Element Mesh Jacket. It is feels like a T shirt with armour at speed and is barely noticable when stopped at a light.

I would think any real mesh jacket should do just fine down here.

·
Registered
659 Posts
"I would think any real mesh jacket should do just fine down here."

+1

I'm not "down there" but I picked up a Fieldsheer mesh jacket from motorcycle superstore a while back for cheap and it does great and is armoured in the back, shoulders and elbows.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with a removable rain liner and removeable padding. I really like it, and I usually wear it even in the summer and it's not bad, but any jacket inhibits air flow and when it's 100+ outside they're not comfortable. However, they're a lot more comfortable than road rash.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll chime in and agree that any mesh jacket from a reputable gear company should work for you, protection and comfort wise.

I have a Vega mesh jacket with CE armor a zip in cool weather liner and a rain jacket that goes over and is stored in a pocket built in the back of the jacket. As long as you are moving at some speed it is comfortably cool. I really put it to the test last summer when I rode on several days that were in the 110 degree range here in PA (So you can add in the humidity!).

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've got a fieldsheer Corsair jacket that I'm impressed with, and it's not even mesh! It's nice and toasty at a stop though or at constant low speeds.

I'll second the motion of a quality mesh jacket with some decent armor.

Oh, also, I moved this thread. We have a new section for Riding Gear that y'all might not have noticed yet, that's where these should go from now on (easier to navigate that way, and a good source for info!)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've had a Scorpion Cool Rod for 4 years. Mesh, removable armor, very durable, and they go for right around $140, good bang for your buck.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the abrasion resistance is for some of these mesh jackets? I've been looking at getting one. My Fieldsheer jacket is fine except at a stop, but the problem I have is in 95+ weather, if I get stuck in traffic for a while or something, it takes forever to cool off. So I would like something a bit cooler for those brutal days. But I don't wanna give up alot of protection (otherwise I'd just wear a T-shirt and armor or something)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the abrasion resistance is for some of these mesh jackets? I've been looking at getting one. My Fieldsheer jacket is fine except at a stop, but the problem I have is in 95+ weather, if I get stuck in traffic for a while or something, it takes forever to cool off. So I would like something a bit cooler for those brutal days. But I don't wanna give up alot of protection (otherwise I'd just wear a T-shirt and armor or something)
I really doubt that the one I wear will provide alot of abrasion resistance compared to a good leather jacket to be honest. That being said, I can't wear a leather jacket in Southeast Texas during the summer lol. It's simply too hot and humid so the choices are wear nothing, wear mesh, or don't ride at all. I choose mesh every time.

As to the melting point of the material, the true abrasion protection, etc.etc Speaking as a Paramedic supervisor I have run hundreds of motorcycle accidents. Two things usually stick out in my mind on these scenes: 1. He would still be alive if he simply had a helmet on and 2. Good thing he had a jacket on :cool: Even the nylon mesh material is better protection than straight skin on pavement my friends. And sometimes, it is the only edge that you will need to determine if you walk away or have to roll away in an ambulance or hearse.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I really doubt that the one I wear will provide alot of abrasion resistance compared to a good leather jacket to be honest. That being said, I can't wear a leather jacket in Southeast Texas during the summer lol. It's simply too hot and humid so the choices are wear nothing, wear mesh, or don't ride at all. I choose mesh every time.

As to the melting point of the material, the true abrasion protection, etc.etc Speaking as a Paramedic supervisor I have run hundreds of motorcycle accidents. Two things usually stick out in my mind on these scenes: 1. He would still be alive if he simply had a helmet on and 2. Good thing he had a jacket on :cool: Even the nylon mesh material is better protection than straight skin on pavement my friends. And sometimes, it is the only edge that you will need to determine if you walk away or have to roll away in an ambulance or hearse.
Well what I wear right now isn't leather but it's 1000D Carbolex. Any idea what nylon mesh would do compared to that?

Also, any stories regarding how well certain pieces of gear held up in a motorcycle crash? I figure a paramedic is probably one of the best authorities on what gear works and what doesn't (just curious)

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
For hot weather - from now until November in Texas - I have an evaporative cool vest. I wear it under my mesh jacket and it keeps the torso very cool when moving. You soak it in water and wear it. The water evaporates and cools your body. It works very well. Mine cost about $38 at the dealership. I don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
For hot weather - from now until November in Texas - I have an evaporative cool vest. I wear it under my mesh jacket and it keeps the torso very cool when moving. You soak it in water and wear it. The water evaporates and cools your body. It works very well. Mine cost about $38 at the dealership. I don't leave home without it.
Do you end up drenched after wearing that or do you stay dry? Been looking into those but if I was wet after riding it wouldn't work for commuting.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Do you end up drenched after wearing that or do you stay dry? Been looking into those but if I was wet after riding it wouldn't work for commuting.
I get this question all the time and frankly, it's a silly question. First of all, no you don't get drenched. You will get a small amount of water on you, but, nothing compared to the drenching you will get from sweating if you don't wear it! This thing is scientifically designed to help cool your body in hot weather, while driving on a motorcycle. It works well. For about $40 it is more than worth the cost. But, if you're afraid of water, avoid it! And sweat. Sweating is good for you, it helps you lose weight. And who doesn't need to lose weight?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I get this question all the time and frankly, it's a silly question. First of all, no you don't get drenched. You will get a small amount of water on you, but, nothing compared to the drenching you will get from sweating if you don't wear it! This thing is scientifically designed to help cool your body in hot weather, while driving on a motorcycle. It works well. For about $40 it is more than worth the cost. But, if you're afraid of water, avoid it! And sweat. Sweating is good for you, it helps you lose weight. And who doesn't need to lose weight?
Uh.. Thanks?

I'm not afraid of water, but if that thing were to leave me soaking wet, it wouldn't be a very practical tool for commuting.

Anyway, it'll probably be something I invest in when the weather warms up. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also, any stories regarding how well certain pieces of gear held up in a motorcycle crash? I figure a paramedic is probably one of the best authorities on what gear works and what doesn't (just curious)
Honestly I have seen everything fail and everything work just fine. The single two pieces of equipment are simply a helmet and a jacket.

For helmets DOT is just fine and saves lives. It is your choice to wear it or not in the State of Texas and that's fine, I see many more walk away with helmets on than without is all I will say. The brand, price, style....it's up to you and each have advantages and disadvantages.

For the jackets, I've seen leather ripped to shreds, textile and mesh that worked miracles, and vice versa. Grab what is comfortable for you. What the manufactures will not tell you is that no piece of equipment is truly the best. There are too many variables.

For example your speed, impact surface, secondary impacts, friction ratios, slide surface, temperature of the surface, wet or dry impacts, bodypart impact, etc etc etc. You can't protect against it all, but you can anticipate, be more careful and I wil definetly say, anything is better than nothing.

But hey, it's a free country and we ride to be free and to enjoy the rush of air :) Regardless of your gear or lack of it, just remember the cagers are crazy and always have a plan :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
+1 on the Scorpion mesh. I used to wear one in AZ and it cools very well, but I have gotten used to my leather, and don't feel right in anything else.

·
Registered
259 Posts
texmedic, thanks for your input

i never invested in mesh until i moved wayyyyyyyyy south... i wanted as much protection as possible. so when i went shopping for a mesh jacket, i picked one that was reinforced with leather and armor/padding everywhere it counted. i'd say that it's about 60% leather, 40% mesh. very breathable and i feel safe in it, no crash test yet (knock on wood)

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Hey Kaw Poke, what dealership did you get your vest at?
Wild West Honda on Katy Fwy near Mason Rd. I also saw the same one at Yamaha dealer in Kerrville. I think most every dealer in the south sells them. You just have to shop for the best price.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts