Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying summer gear, last year I just went without a jacket and my head was sweating like crazy in my helmet. This year I want to buy a mesh jacket and a lighter colored helmet for summer riding. I have a 2012 Vaquero SE(which is neon green and black), I am considering buying a high viz jacket and helm that are the greenish yellow neon or I could get a silver jacket and helm. No matter which color I decide on the jacket would be the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0, but if I go high viz it would be a Fly Tourist Vista helm and for silver it would be a Speed and Strength SS650 helm. The price difference is only $9.00 so that will not sway me one way or the other. With the Fly helm I would have to switch shields for riding on sunny days, but that is just a minor inconvenience. I know that high viz would be better than silver(at least in theory), but which would be cooler(like I said summer wear)? Also, if you would recommend one helm over the other, could you give reasons why?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I found the Olympia renegade felt much better against my skin. May want to try one if you can. I'm thinking of getting the Olympia switchback. It has a liner.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
No experience with either of those specific items, but I have a silver mesh jacket that I've worn around eastern NC and the FL panhandle for the last two summers. As long as I'm moving I get plenty of airflow and if the sun is really beating down, it's actually cooler than just a t-shirt. The sun isn't directly on me but I still get air through th mesh.

Both of my helmets I have now are silver. I've worn gloss black and flat black before, and other than touching it when putting it on or taking it off, I really can't remember a big temperature difference. Like you know, when it's hot, it's hot. I got the silver because I thought it would feel cooler but personally not a big change for me. If it's that hot, I just take it inside with me anyway. I always wear either a dew rag or a helmet liner anyway so that probably helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the Tour Master Venture Air Master pants and really like them.
I got double liners for rain and insulated.
I can ride with shorts on under the pants and feel nice breeze.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts