Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Opinion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
So when you need to shift, the left hand pulls in the clutch lever and the right hand shifts. Sounds like too much work and control might be diminished if shifting while doing 90 degree turns or leaning over far In a high speed curve. Cool looking though.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
So when you need to shift, the left hand pulls in the clutch lever and the right hand shifts. Sounds like too much work and control might be diminished if shifting while doing 90 degree turns or leaning over far In a high speed curve. Cool looking though.
More likely left foot engages the clutch and the left hand works the shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Oh. That sounds a lot better. Interesting modification.
To me, not really. You still have to take your hand off the handlebar to shift.

My Dad had a 46 Indian Chief with a suicide clutch. He totaled it and got hurt pretty bad in an emergency maneuver where he needed to shift but could not control the bike sufficiently with one hand on the bars.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
There's a reason these became known as suicide shifters. Also, removing the belt guards is asking for a $400+ repair.

·
Registered
73 Posts
take a closer look at the back end. there is no rear shocks. it looks like a steel rod going from the rear axle to the rear fender where the shocks should mount. the back tire is also low on air probably to soften the ride. the only rear suspention is the 2 springs under the seat!! I sure hope the rider is young and has a strong back. on the plus side that is a nice paint job and custom work on the front fender.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Well from the opinions of the suicide shifter posted here, don’t think the owner should be applying for any patents just yet. 😀😀

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
It's nothing new. That was how bikes were shifted years ago. Same with the solid rear suspension. It's a throwback to earlier bikes. I see what he's doing and it's great for a bike you ride to meets or shows, but I wouldn't want to ride it very far or in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foot clutch adapted from spare foot brake cylinder

1 - 12 of 12 Posts