Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the welcome area with no response, must have been the wrong topic.

I am looking for my 1st bike. I really like the Vulcan 900 line, and have signed up to this forum to learn all I can.

I have co-workers pushing me towards Sportsters and yamahas, but I lean towards the Vulcans and some Hondas. Any suggestions from this forum would be great. I have been riding for a several years just never owned my own bike. I am 6'1" about 215 lbs and the bikes on my short list are as follows (looking at used due to budget).

Kawasaki Vulcan 900
maybe a
Honda Sabre 1100

Any suggestions as to why or why not, or any other bikes will be appreciated. I am planning on riding two up with my wife once I get used to the bike if that makes a difference.

The site looks great and I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.

Mike

·
Banned
102 Posts
The size of the Vulcan was a concern for me when I was looking - I'm 6-4 215lb. I was worried that my legs would get tired. Turns out it's not a problem at all.

WRT the Sabre.... In my opinion it's too clean. It just looks.... like a Honda. Everything is in the right place, it's clean, it's pretty, it's just not... cool. :cool: It's like the V-6 Mustang - it looks OK but there's nothing else there to make it bad azz. Just my opinion.

I can't speak to Star, but if you're looking at a Harley make sure you're comparing apples to apples - same year, similar size + features, etc. For example when I bought my bike I paid $5500 for it used with 4300 miles on it. I looked at a used Road King at my local HD dealership with 108,000 miles and they wanted $9400 for it. :eek:

Of course I'm biased, but I don't think you can beat the Vulcan for the price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 900LT. My 3 complaints are....

Stiff clutch lever.... If you have strong hands with long fingers you will be fine.

High revving when the engine is cold or when you start it up again after fuelling or a coffee stop. It eventually calms down.

Belt is squelchy....

Other than those....the bike has been great. I did a mod for the clutch lever.....which works but resulted in a small friction zone.......

but as yet have not fixed the high revving issiue.

My first bike was a Yamaha V-Star. Shaft drive so no noise....easy to use clutch lever.

The Yamaha was reliable and so is my Vulcan.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike!

The best bike for you, depends on the type of riding you want to do.

If that includes long distance touring, high speed canyon carving, or a lot of weight above 70 mph for extended periods, then the 900 may not be the best fit.

If you know you want a midsized cruiser, then the 900 is the best on the market.

Scott

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hi Mike!

I am 5'11" about 220 lbs and I've had 2007 900 custom for about 7 weeks.

It is a joy to ride! I love the 5.3 gal tank and over 200 mile range. I had a honda 750 and immediately after getting 900, I felt more confidence due to performance and feeling this bike would suit me better for longer trips. I can't suggest 2-up because I have not tried this yet. It has the power however.

·
Banned
102 Posts
I concur with the stiff clutch lever. I've had friends and family look at my bike, squeeze the lever and groan. It's not a problem for me but it's stiff.

I ride 2-up occasionally. The engine doesn't know she's on there, but the suspension is a lot smoother. (I would adjust the pre-load down riding solo but it's not worth the headache. :) )

·
Registered
991 Posts
Good ride

The 900 is a large frame bike with the same wheelbase as the big Harleys. There is no shortage of power down low for 2 up riding, but high speed stuff over 75 gets buzzy. I am 6ft and 300ish lbs and my 900C pulls me along fine, and if I need to romp on it a little to keep up with the HD's, I can. The book says the bike will take 400lbs 2 up and I believe it. If you go bigger displacement, the cost rise is incremental. Similar size bikes, Sportster, 950 Yammy, 1300 Hondas, all jump up about $1000 from the Kawi 900s (more for HD). Buy the 900 and be happy:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can not speak for the 900 as I have a 1500(and LOVE it), but the Sportsters are good starter bikes. Long rides on them are impossible if you have any kind of back issues though. I had a newer one that was rubber mounted and it still was a rough ride and my back hurt after anything more than about 20 minutes. It was fun and functional but to ride it was a back breaker. Good luck.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I posted this in the welcome area with no response, must have been the wrong topic.

I am looking for my 1st bike. I really like the Vulcan 900 line, and have signed up to this forum to learn all I can.

I have co-workers pushing me towards Sportsters and yamahas, but I lean towards the Vulcans and some Hondas. Any suggestions from this forum would be great. I have been riding for a several years just never owned my own bike. I am 6'1" about 215 lbs and the bikes on my short list are as follows (looking at used due to budget).

Kawasaki Vulcan 900
maybe a
Honda Sabre 1100

Any suggestions as to why or why not, or any other bikes will be appreciated. I am planning on riding two up with my wife once I get used to the bike if that makes a difference.

The site looks great and I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.

Mike
If I were buying my "first bike" today, knowing what I know, it would probably be the Yamaha 1300. I went with an 1100 Yamaha several years ago as my "first bike" and traded it in 6 months later for my current 1500 Vulcan. The v-star was a good starter bike for me, but a guy your size who already has riding experience and plans on two-up riding this summer--you (and your wife) are going to be disappointed with anything smaller than a 1300. JM2C.

p.s. The Vulcan 1500 is also a fine machine, one that you might also consider.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a 08 900 Custom and rode it for 4 years almost to the day and then traded up to the 2K classic. Great bike! VERY nimble and easy to handle. Never rode 2-up so I can't comment on that. But I put 14K miles on it and my ONLY gripe was the high RPM at interstate speeds. I was in the process of purchasing the Scootworks front pulley to solve the issue when I ran across the 2K. For a first bike (and it was my first street bike too) I dont think you could go wrong with it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I got the 900 classic last year after some time away from riding, and it's really just a great bike. It's well made, has plenty of power, has plenty of after-market parts available, and just feels good. I'd advise you to sit on one (and ride one if possible) and see what you think. I'd also ask you to consider:

1. getting rid of the stock seat... It's not nearly as good as the Mustang and others. Plan your expenses accordingly.

2. locating a good mechanic... If you're not going to be doing all of your own work, you need someone who's good and reasonable. Do some research and don't just trust the dealer.

3. reading this forum... There are a ton of guys on here who are very knowledgable about riding, troubleshooting, and fixing things on your bike. This is one of your best resources, and beyond that, it's a fun place to read and contribute where you can. That's a credit to the quality of the folks who frequent the site.

4. getting prepared for some idiosyncrasies... This bike chirps, taps, and burbles and generally makes some funky sounds, all of which are deemed normal. If you're looking for a loud, growling Harley sound, you're not going to get that without some work.

The 900 is great, as are the bigger bikes. You really can't go wrong with any of them. They're not bulletproof, but they're pretty darn close.

And...Rush fans like Vulcans, so..... :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks again everyone for the advice. I am taking it all in and doing a fair amount or reading on the Site. Like I said this is all in preparation for when the travel trailer sells and I can get a little more serious about buying the bike. Keep the advice and insight coming.

I am glad that my RUSH sig was noted. Rush seems to be a very under appreciated group that for some reason is still not in the hall of fame (go figure)

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I bought a 2011 Vulcan 900 Classic SE as my first motorcycle. I'm 5'11" and 295lbs and it has moved my big ass with ease. I'm usually going about 70mph on the open roads and at times I've just flicked the wrist and gone faster and it feels like it can take me faster if needed.

I bought the bike almost 3 months ago and have enjoyed riding it and no regrets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I havn't read past the opening post but I will say this. I bought an 84 Honda Magna as my first bike to ride and work on as a new hobby. Where I went wrong was not doing enough research on repair and overall easy of repair. If you plan on doing the repair and upgrade work yourself, I would lean towards a bike with as few carburetors as possible. Even if you are mechanically inclined and have experience working on bikes. In general the more carbs the more work/price in repairing/rebuilding them.

Though I am not experianced enough to tell you why a bike has more or less I just learned the hard way with the Magna. The 4 carbs intimidated me into selling it and starting over with a 2003 Vulcan 800. Which also has carburetor issues but am on my way towards fixing them. As far as I have seem it is a common repair and needs adjusting periodicly. Not to mention a little care before the winter.

Anyway As far as I am concerned, if you are Interested in working on and learning about bikes, find one with 1-2 carbs or that is fuel injected if your not interested in constant headaches especially with the bad gas going around.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts