Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after putting together the 'big three', for some reason I've got an urge to go back to stock pipes. I have Cobra Speedster Longs on there right now, and while they sound awesome at idle and even in the city, with the 900's high highway RPM, it can get rather grating on the highway.

My question is, how much power will I be giving up? I never got it dyno tuned or anything, I'm using the thunder mfg Cobra 2-1 map on my PCIII USB, and it feels more powerful, but I didn't really have that much experience stock before anyway. I plan to keep the intake aftermarket (thunder mfg round), and keep the fuel processor on, but from a mediocre tune with the big 3, to a mediocre tune with just intake and fuel processor (I won't be dynoing after either), how much of a loss can I expect?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am not that familiar with your pipes but on my Vulcan 800 I have Vance and Hynes straight shots and like you said on the highway the noise was just too much for my likings. So, I pulled the open style baffles and replaced them with a set of "quiet" baffles made for my pipes.

The bike still has a nice low rumble but when I open the bike up it doesn't vibrate my skull inside the skull cap helmet to the point that I needed ear plugs.

Also, if your pipes have any type of removable baffles, perhaps you can modify them to make them quieter. There are examples on Youtube.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are quiet core baffles, and people do say they're a good bit quieter, but they sound so similar in videos it's hard to tell. Plus, most of the videos are showing idle/low speed sound, when it's highway that's the worst.

I just think it'd be so cool to have a sleeper of a bike. Fairly quiet, but when you open 'er up, the intake/fuel processor would do their job and bump up the ponies.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have the Cobra quiet core baffles. Like you said, at low speed I can't tell much of a difference, but at high speed I can. With the stock baffles the noise would get inside my helmet and rattle around in there, making me uncomfortable or downright miserable. Much better with the quiet core baffles, but I can still hear the exhaust with them. I still wear earplugs most of the time when I ride, but that's for wind noise, not exhaust noise.

Not saying you shouldn't go back to stock, but those things do make a difference if you decide to stick with the Cobras.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Cobra quiet core baffles. Like you said, at low speed I can't tell much of a difference, but at high speed I can. With the stock baffles the noise would get inside my helmet and rattle around in there, making me uncomfortable or downright miserable. Much better with the quiet core baffles, but I can still hear the exhaust with them. I still wear earplugs most of the time when I ride, but that's for wind noise, not exhaust noise.

Not saying you shouldn't go back to stock, but those things do make a difference if you decide to stick with the Cobras.
Ditto here. Exactly my experience from stock baffle to quiet core.

Another option here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88106&page=3

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
So after putting together the 'big three', for some reason I've got an urge to go back to stock pipes. I have Cobra Speedster Longs on there right now, and while they sound awesome at idle and even in the city, with the 900's high highway RPM, it can get rather grating on the highway.

My question is, how much power will I be giving up? I never got it dyno tuned or anything, I'm using the thunder mfg Cobra 2-1 map on my PCIII USB, and it feels more powerful, but I didn't really have that much experience stock before anyway. I plan to keep the intake aftermarket (thunder mfg round), and keep the fuel processor on, but from a mediocre tune with the big 3, to a mediocre tune with just intake and fuel processor (I won't be dynoing after either), how much of a loss can I expect?
I too have the speedster longs and have successfully toned them down by wrapping the quiet core baffles. You could also try this with the standard baffles first to see if that is enough for you. Much cheaper than new pipes or even different baffles. Here is a thread I started and discussed on the same issue. Good luck!

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88106&page=3

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wouldn't expect much by wrapping the standard baffles. They are pretty much a straight thru design. They remind of glass packs of the old days. No real sound deadening, especially if your young and install them in backwards on purpose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
WOAH! What the heck is that reflecting in the quiet core baffle in the bottom picture? LOL. Looks like two eyes and a honkin nose. That's not you is it. :)

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I wouldn't expect much by wrapping the standard baffles. They are pretty much a straight thru design. They remind of glass packs of the old days. No real sound deadening, especially if your young and install them in backwards on purpose.
+1 True True, I Never even used mine, I installed the quiet baffles immediately (But still too loud!). Purchased them at the same time as the pipes. But wrapping them is a huge difference. Its a very nice low rumble now, and the wife doesn't complain anymore. Happy wife is a happy life! :D

·
Registered
175 Posts

I found that to be the same for me and after trying a variety of baffles I decided to go back to the stock pipes and debaffled them. I like the sound and it's pleasant on the highway. I have a video posted on YouTube you can check out and listen to. Look up "bobrobinsonpsl"

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think you would give up much hp by putting stock pipes back on if any. I think the intake makes a bigger difference.

When I did my bike. I debaffled the stock pipes. Then intake and processor, Then cobra slashdowns. When I put the cobra pipes on I think it felt like I lost some hp/torque. Then I put in the cobra quite baffles it felt like I gained a little hp/torque. I tried the smart partz baffles and lets just say I am much happier with the cobra quite baffles.

Do you want the bike quite like stock?? If not I would recommend the cobra quite baffles. My bike is not much louder then stock pipe debaffled.

·
Registered
125 Posts
. I tried the smart partz baffles and lets just say I am much happier with the cobra quite baffles.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I was wondering about trying the SP baffles with the stock cobra inserts.

If you don't mind let me know about your experience between those two. I can guess but it sounds like I'll just stick with what I have set up now. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I started looking at the different baffles because after putting on the cobra pipes I felt the exhaust note had a weird high pitch to it. If that makes sense. So I first ordered the Smart partz baffle.

Well first off getting the original baffle out is not as easy as it sounds. Just take the bolt out and pull. Ha Got much easier after I did some thinking about it. I took a broom handle drilled a hole in it. Put a longer bolt in the hole. I think I used a 8/32 or a 10/32. Then stuck the handle in the exhaust pipe and hook that nut that is welded on the baffle. Pull your _ _ _ off. I also sprayed some penetrating oil in there to. pb blaster, wd 40 just something to help lube it and break up the carbon. I think I bent or broke like 5 bolts in that broom handle before I got the original baffles out.

For the smart partz. You drill a new hole in the original baffle. Put the smart parts baffle in the original. OK fine did that. The cobra baffle fit that tight need to get something to tap it back in. Back in lets line up the holes. No good way to turn the baffle. So alot of messing around to get the three hole to line up now and get the bolt to start. I got both of the smart partz in after about 4 hours of messing around. 1st test ride bike sound ok at idle. Road about 10 minutes in town. Then went out on the highway cruising speed it sounded ok. Crack the throttle it sound like crap gave it a pup pup pup sound. Then the smart partz started to rattle in there. In less 20 miles. Took them out again re-bent the tabs put back together same thing happen they started to rattle. Decided to send them back.

Cobra quite baffles. Well I already figured out the trick to get the original baffles out. The quite baffles did not fit as snug as the original ones. So they went in much easier. Only had to line up 2 holes. Took 30 minutes to get them in. 1st start up. The exhaust note was a little deeper. They are not rattling in there. Took out that sharpness to say. Bike seems to run better in my opinion. I dont know if it changes the hp/torque curve but it seemed like it a little more go.

The smart partz baffles I think would be ok if you used both holes to hold them in, have them weld to the stock baffle or if they where at the end of the exhaust pipe. It is a pain to get all the holes to line up and get that bolt started. They will void the cobra warranty.

Cobra quite baffles install much easier. No rattling, and wont void warranty.

The girlfriend did not want me to debaffle the stock exhaust she liked the quite until a car pulled out in front of us. I did the full debaffle last year. This year I did cobra slashdown, intake and processor. I have not told her yet. She has been on the bike this year for about 200 miles. She has not noticed. Thats why I say the are not much louder then a debaffle. They do have a better sound. A friend has a 900 as well after debaffing mine he wanted me to do his. I am guessing she will noticed a difference when we go ride together.

The broom handle thing is similar to what this guy used.

·
Registered
673 Posts
To the OP
Not sure what increases you were getting with your BIG 3.
I believe you are going to make as much power as the most restrictive part will allow. weather its pipes,fuel system, air cleaner,valve train/cam profile, spark timing.
If you could reduce noise by a hand full of dlb or more without restricting flow, than almost no reduction of power ( it might move the curve around a little)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts