Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after installing a PCV I had an increase in mpg by 2.5 after close to 300 miles. Yesterday I noticed a tapping (sounded like fuel injector ticking) but it went away. now my mileage is decreasing. after about 30 miles Ive lost almost 1 mpg. my mpg is even dropping during a short idle and it seems as if my exhaust odor has changed. ANY IDEAS? im going to plug my PCV into my laptop and make sure the map is still correct

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Something is flooding fuel with the settings in the PCV.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The only way to get the fuel air mixture spot on is with a Dyno. Otherwaise your best guessing seat of the pants.
Also once the engine gets to a certain temp the ECU kicks in with protect the engine programming. More fuel typically.

Ask one of the tuners to chime in here. Ray can explain it and has in several posts. He added a manual fan switch to
help keep those big jugs cooler...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm sure the map did not change... where did the map come from?
My VV performance and mileage fluctuates with temp. I've tweaked
the map for optimum seat of the pants performance for my singular VV.

Each and every bike has it's own unique charachteristics. To get the best
you need a dyno. And someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what everyone is saying but that doesn't explain why under the same driving conditions I would lose almost 1 mpg. The PCV has been on for just about 3 weeks. And this happened after a strange "ticking" noise yesterday morning. Checked my injector harnesses and they seem ok. Never experienced this in my 30 years of bikes. Although this is the first bike that reads my mpg so I cant say its never happened. But Im also used to carbs not injection lol

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Your first mistake is trusting the gauge. It's wrong. The sooner you accept tat, the better you'll be. The gauge fluctuates a ridiculous amount.

Calculate several tanks using trip meter/gallons. You won't be able to tell past, but you'll be able to gauge future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good point on the gauge. It seemed like I filled up just as soon as before the PCV lol. I plugged in and map was same.

The part that bothers me is the "ticking" sound I heard before this happened. I had filled up a couple days before so maybe it's a gas quality issue.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Did you add intake or anything?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hook up the laptop, make sure the bike is fully warmed up and check the throttle position calibration. We have fly by wire so go to tools in the PCV software, calibrate TPS, hit reset then hit the arrow on the left, it should be close to the voltage displayed, like .5 or something similar, then click OK. You may be out of sync and the PCV is adding fuel at the wrong time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
580 Posts
hayes is spot on. Depending on the digital readout is not going to tell you if it changes that small amount. Temp also makes a difference as someone else mentioned. I'm not sure about the ticking noise, but I do have the odd noise that comes and goes....the nature of the kawasaki beast. Just ride a few hundred miles then do the math according to your actual fuel refill amount vs miles traveled. Actually if I was really worried about a 1 mpg difference I'd get a scooter......just my opinion 0:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
how long ago did you have it tuned? was the weather generally cooler?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well filled up again and mileage went back up a bit. Chalking this one up to some bad fuel I guess. Assuming after sitting a couple days the bad stuff settled and gave me a tick. Whatever it was its back to normal

·
Registered
235 Posts
Heck quit complaining. A tank of bad gas could be the 1 MPG difference. My MPG fluctuates by up to 5 MPG depends on gas, ethanol additives, clean air filter, How much I gun it etc.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you had heard my 1500 engine, ticking would be the least of your concerns :) That old girl made a different clatter every time I started it up but it's just the way some of them are. It was bullet proof tho in all other aspects. If your bike was sitting for a length of time the hydraulic lifters may bleed down and tick for a while after being started, but that's generally after sitting for a month or more.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The only way to get the fuel air mixture spot on is with a Dyno. Otherwaise your best guessing seat of the pants
Actually that's not the only way. An autotuner in addition to the PCV makes constant adjustments to your fuel to keep it in line with the AFR you have set in the PCV AFR tables. I've had it on my bike going on two years now and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Actually that's not the only way. An autotuner in addition to the PCV makes constant adjustments to your fuel to keep it in line with the AFR you have set in the PCV AFR tables. I've had it on my bike going on two years now and couldn't be happier.
an autotuner only works if your bike has a o2 sensor, my 14 vaquero does NOT. so just like a carb you set one tune based on your typical riding style and area and stick with that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts