Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front fender on my 2004 has been bubbled by years of being parked at work uncovered all day in the searing desert heat. I doubt I'll get away with just sanding and shooting a new clear coat. I've looked at the insane cost of Kawasaki paint and after the paramedics restarted my heart I decided Kawasaki won't be getting my money. Has anyone found even a close match to the metallic red that was used on the EN500's? I'm sure Duplicolor has something but I'm looking for what someone has actually used and had good results with. Sorry, but guesses while appreciated will honestly only add to the confusion.......

Surprisingly the tank is OK but the clear coat has even been burned from the outer engine cases. Not sure I want to strip and actually polish them to a high luster. I think they'd look better with the factory look. Not sure how to preserve that after removing what's left of the factory clear coat, cleaning and reapplying the clear. Suggestions?

OFJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check around your local automotive paint stores im sure they can point you in the right direction

good luck

I could get a custom mix to match but don't want to buy a gallon minimum at an automotive paint store. I already checked on that. I brought the fender in with me and because I didn't want a gallon they wouldn't even try to find a close match paint number using their color books. I'm hoping someone has found a color match in a spray can at a realistic price. I only need to touch up the fender and don't want to break the bank doing it. I'm sure there are Japanese cars out there wearing the same color.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I do not know your local auto parts store but I can buy quarts no problem. It might be worth checking around at other places.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Before I restored Hidalgo she was Purplish Mica, which I *LOVED*! The color was a deep purple when in the sunshine but nearly black when parked in shade or at night. But, like you, I found the cost of the ColorRite paint out of my budget range. My painter suggested using an automotive paint that was not Basecoat/Topcoat. This paint was about 1/3 the cost of the ColorRite and has held up very well. (I think the paint was about $100 or so for enough to do the tank and both fenders vs $300+ for ColorRite.) So Hidalgo has been 'Toyota Black' since her restoration.

Consider another color if you're doing a complete repaint.

Also, during the restoration, I had the clutch side engine cover polished with no clear reapplied and it has held up very well. Considering stripping the clearcoat off of the covers and polishing them if you have the time.

PS: If you think that paint is expensive price having a large part chromed. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bill. No it doesn't need a repaint. Just the front 3 inches or so of the front fender. Boy, you put "motorcycle" in front of an item and the prices triples or more! An old 1976 Honda 750 was the most expensive to repair vehicle I've ever owned. $16.00 EACH for valves stem seals and that was back in 1986! Aside from a few burned exhaust valves it was pristine. I scrapped the bike. Manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves.

Any thoughts on whether an earlier version 500 fender will fit? Drilling new holes wouldn't be a problem if that's all it takes. The early chrome fenders are usually on ebay for realistic prices. You're right about having mine chromed. Probably as cost prohibitive as paint.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thanks Bill. No it doesn't need a repaint. Just the front 3 inches or so of the front fender. Boy, you put "motorcycle" in front of an item and the prices triples or more! An old 1976 Honda 750 was the most expensive to repair vehicle I've ever owned. $16.00 EACH for valves stem seals and that was back in 1986! Aside from a few burned exhaust valves it was pristine. I scrapped the bike. Manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves.

Any thoughts on whether an earlier version 500 fender will fit? Drilling new holes wouldn't be a problem if that's all it takes. The early chrome fenders are usually on ebay for realistic prices. You're right about having mine chromed. Probably as cost prohibitive as paint.

My prices on https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2004/vulcan-500-ltd-en500-c9/fenders

BTW your model with red fenders is a 2004,
Your info says 2005(blue )

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I appreciate the parts list but being on a tight fixed income means there is no way I will be buying a brand new fender for what should be able to be repaired with a $15.00 rattle can of Dupli-Color from AutoZone.

As far as my info: Not sure why it says 2005 Blue. I went into my profile and indeed it said 2005. I know I put 2004 but I changed went ahead and changed it from 2005. Color needed no change as it shows as red. Not sure why you are seeing blue. I still don't get e-mail notification of posts to the threads even though I've enabled virtually everything I can related to communication. Are there maybe some bugs in the forum software?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts