Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all is headed to Sturgis this year? I'm going since I had a great time last year.Hopefully I have as much fun as last year if not more:doh:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am! The container ship carrying the VV docked in SF last weekend, and we pick the bike up in LA in about 7 weeks time.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I am! The container ship carrying the VV docked in SF last weekend, and we pick the bike up in LA in about 7 weeks time.
What a fantastic looking route! Some of the most beautiful parts of the country. I'm very jealous!

What software is that, by the way?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peg,
Where you stayin at ? I'm lodging at the Glencoe. Wanted to stay at Bufallo Chip but was full before I could get a RV or cabin:eek:
If you have never been you will enjoy,lots to see and do.:&
Bruce

·
Registered
636 Posts
What a fantastic looking route! Some of the most beautiful parts of the country. I'm very jealous!

What software is that, by the way?
The software is "TYRE To Travel", which I use to plan route's for my Garmin. It's a program designed by riders, and can transfer routes into either Garmin or Tom Tom GPS.

I can't take the credit for planning this trip though... it's a route that's been travelled every year for about 15 years and honed to perfection by "Kiwi Ken" O'Leary. Some of the riders with us are on their fourth tours with him - which we think is a fairly good endorsement?

I'm not exactly sure where we're staying Bruce... I know Ken had a little difficulty pinning down his usual hotel to a nightly rate for a while though. They all hold off confirming their rates for the anniversary years, to see how high the competition go. We're there four nights, 2 to 5 August, and I bet we still won't see it all.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Son and I will be camping at the Buffalo Chip this will be our 3rd year plan to arrive July 30 stay thru August 7. Brother-in-law meeting us he will be coming from Denver, CO his 1st

·
Registered
162 Posts
Staying at Hog Heaven. Great place, good food and you can even sleep. Da Bus picks up and drops off as well. Owners are really accomodating as well. Can hardly wait.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hopefully we will have good weather. last year I had ran off and on all the way from Sturgis ,SD. to Charlotte, NC
On the bright side kept me cool and alert for 27 hour straight run:eek::eek::cool:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
PEG

Looks like you are going through where I lived in Nevada for 33 years.... Tonopah. Just remember going through Nevada gas is a minimum of 100 miles apart... some places 160 miles... But heading towards Bishop from Las Vegas around 60 miles minimum.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I went to Santa Maria then drove down to LA. Whish I was on the bike. Up in Santa Maria the mountain roads were great then I drove the coastal road to LA.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
That is the way to do it!! awesome, look forward to hearing, seeing pics!! trip looks well planned

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rental

Peg
Did you check into renting a bike here in the states? Might be a bit cheaper than that container and all:)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Peg
Did you check into renting a bike here in the states? Might be a bit cheaper than that container and all:)
You rented a bike? I paid 500 bucks for 3 days in FL. It was stupid. Bike rentals are ridiculous.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Peg
No... it isn't. Maybe for a couple of days it's gonna be cheaper, but certainly not for a couple of months.

It's not costing us much more than what the insurance is costing, to ship both ways... That's the power of doing it with someone like Ken, who has the combined purchase power of all of us, and experience he's gained over a number of years making the arrangements with the same people year in year out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Staying at Shade Valley this year, just down the road from Glenco, will be leaving Dallas, Ft. Worth area Aug. 1st. This will be my 3rd trip to Sturgis, don't know what to expect being the 75th anniversary, I'll be able to mark this off my bucket list now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts