Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i travel a lot and really enjoy it. I have been down south all over west Virginia, Georgia, Louisiana all of those areas really and i have to say the people i have met have always been friendly and great people. How is it they put on TV shows like Appalachian Outlaws and just makes the people look completely like idiots. I don't understand this, People from that area have a very rich history and now they are being shown as inept. Why are they allowing themselves to be shown that way ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just another made for TV "reality show" someone gets paid. I think it less a reflection on the "actors" and more a showing of how stupid the producers think the viewers are. My current favorites are Moonshineers, showing there trade on TV and everything being filmed and the local cops not knowing, and Amish Mafia what can I say, MADE for TV

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
reality tv says more about the people who watch that trash than those that make it. It's meth for the brain dead

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you all are totally correct. LOL i enjoy some tv but here lately it just seems like tv has really dumbed it down lately

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course that could be just because i am not used to T.V. now. I have been over seas for a while then i was out in Wyoming ranching and i didn't have time to watch T.V. so I guess i can honestly say i am just surprised at how much T.V. has changed in the last Ten years.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Ponch, I really like your answer...
+5
I refuse to watch any reality TV program.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
reality tv says more about the people who watch that trash than those that make it. It's meth for the brain dead
Very well said. If people didnt watch them, they would stop making them. We always hear about terrorist being our enemy, but I think its really us being our own worst enemy.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm with ya. My wife likes this one particular detective/cop drama where these FBI agents fly all over the country investigating serial killers. And every time they visit anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line, they meet up with some good-ol' boy southern-drawl Sherriff who didn't do any detective work, still uses a magnifying glass, doesn't have a computer, etc. Every time. It's a recurring theme. If they have to go down south, it's gonna be country-bumpkins who are stuck doing police work like it's the 1860's. Frankly I hate that show but she likes it so she watches it now and then.

All of these shows. "Ducky Dynasty" is another show I can't stand (Sorry, I know a lot of folks like it, I just don't get the entertainment value. At all). I especially can't stand it now that I've seen the "Robertsons" in interviews before their show came out (and even some since) where suddenly the dumb-country-bumpkin attitude is gone and they are the articulate, college-educated business moguls that they actually are. "Uncle Si", who plays the low-IQ comic relief, was a commissioned officer in the US Military and is college educated as well for crying out loud. These guys went to great schools and there's even some stuff floating around out there to suggest they really preferred country clubs and golf courses to swamps and bass boats before someone paid them to be rednecks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like Top Gear. Preferably the UK version, but the US version isn't bad in its own right. Both are scripted, but the UK version seems way more natural and believable than the US version, which is painfully obviously scripted and fake.

If there were more intelligent and/or realistic shows (Top Gear, How It's Made, Technological stuff, etc...) rather than the absolute garbage that's on now, I might be tempted to sign up for cable.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I like Top Gear. Preferably the UK version, but the US version isn't bad in its own right. Both are scripted, but the UK version seems way more natural and believable than the US version, which is painfully obviously scripted and fake.

If there were more intelligent and/or realistic shows (Top Gear, How It's Made, Technological stuff, etc...) rather than the absolute garbage that's on now, I might be tempted to sign up for cable.
I LOVE top gear. But then it isn't a reality TV show. It's a quasi-journalism show. I've watched one episode of the US version and didn't care for it. The presenters just aren't as fun to watch and dynamic.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
We were on a family vacation a year or two ago.
After a long day of sightseeing, while resting in the hotel, we ended up watching several episodes of Amish Mafia back to back.

We were laughing our butts off.

Of course, it's entertainment value was purely in the absurdity of it.
It kinda reminded me of reading a Batboy story in the enquirer or watching stupid cartoons.
Remember Bugs Bunny putting on a dress and wig and Elmer Fudd would get all love struck? Pure stupidity gold!

I haven't seen an episode since; I've got better things to do at home.

But, I've got a bit more tolerance for absurd stupidity than I do for the quasi reality ignorant stupidity.
I know they do the redneck thing a lot; but really hope everyone from NJ isn't an ignorant guido either.
Or everyone living in the country in Alaska isn't whatever you would call that family of "bush" people. :mad-tongue:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I LOVE top gear. But then it isn't a reality TV show. It's a quasi-journalism show. I've watched one episode of the US version and didn't care for it. The presenters just aren't as fun to watch and dynamic.
No, it's not a reality show by any means. It's a show for motor heads that just want to watch a couple guys do hilarious, stupid, and awesome things with cars. :D

I agree that TGUS doesn't have near the dynamics that TGUK does, but if I watch it as its own show rather than an extension or competitor of TGUK, it's alright.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just another made for TV "reality show" someone gets paid. I think it less a reflection on the "actors" and more a showing of how stupid the producers think the viewers are. My current favorites are Moonshineers, showing there trade on TV and everything being filmed and the local cops not knowing, and Amish Mafia what can I say, MADE for TV
The producers etc don't think the viewers are stupid. They, in fact, know they are. (Most are stupid. Some people have the ability to separate fact from fiction.) Tons of research is made before they release these shows. They know the audience better than the audience knows themselves.

And Amen to the poster that called Duck Dynasty what it is. A fraud. My kids grade school has Duck Dynasty Day. My response is.... you $hittin me? I cut my cable two years ago and unless something changes it's going to stay that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts