Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I know that's probably a retorical question, but is it because we sit on top of our bikes, but sit inside of our car?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Same reason we park in the driveway, but drive on a parkway.

·
Registered
297 Posts
More of lifes unanswered questions...
Why is bra singular and panties is plural ?
If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game" when we are already there?

·
Registered
658 Posts
the same reason is it moves by car it is a SHIPment and if it moves by ship it is CARgo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game" when we are already there?
That's because we really want to be at a different, better game!

·
Registered
430 Posts
why does poop stink?

·
Registered
112 Posts
A bike is a motorised analog of a horse, which you sit on, ie ride. A car is a motorised analog of a cart or carriage, in which a separate conveyance is drawn by horses (or other suitable beasts) impelled - ie driven - by a person sitting on the conveyance.

There's a clue in the other usages of 'car' for rollercoasters, trams, trains etc - a car is literally only the cabin or accommodation part of a vehicle. The distinction is lost somewhat now as cars aren't separate from their engines. But it's worth remembering as it goes a long way to explaining the appeal of bikes over cars. It's like riding a horse as opposed to driving a cart.

To put the feeling in dictionary terms, the primary definition of 'ride' is intransitive, 'to be carried or conveyed', while the primary definition of 'drive' is transitive, 'to push, guide, urge forward [something]'. 'Ride' implies both oneness with the vehicle and the feeling of being transported, while 'drive' emphasises separateness and a job to be done.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for playing everyone. I knew my crazy Vulcan brothers & sisters would come up with some wacky answers to make me laugh. I'm still laughing at the ride your girlfriend comment.

I would also like to add one more rather philosophical thought. For me, "to drive" seems to imply that you are the master and the vehicle is only there to do your bidding. While "to ride" seems to imply more of a two sided partnership. You and the bike have to come to an agreement and understand each other's needs or you'll never get where you're going and you'll both hurt each other along the way. Woahh.... deep man!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
gf=she rides me, I plow her

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Because when you ride the bike your IN the movie....When you drive your car your WATCHING the movie....

On this steel horse I ride.....dead or alive.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts