Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new here.
I'll start right away with the problem. Yesterday I traveled about 200 miles on my Vulcan and noticed such a thing. I could not accelerate the motorcycle to more than 75 mph or 120 km/h. Up to 60 mph accelerates without problems, then a little hard, but above 75 the speed does not increase, even if I open the throttle to full.
Very concerned about this. What could be the reason? Maybe someone already came across a similar one?
The mileage is 14,000.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Had you been able to get above 75 before?

When I had a 900, going up an incline at 75-80 was about as quick as it would go.

Lots of things can cause a small reduction in power. Poor fuel, it's possible the valves are out of whack if they haven't been inspected or adjusted yet, worn spark plugs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had you been able to get above 75 before?
Honestly, I dont know:frown2: Never tried it in 3 years. My usual speed on highway - 60-70 mph. But i think it is not normal behavior. I'm sure this bike must go above 75.

Lots of things can cause a small reduction in power. Poor fuel, it's possible the valves are out of whack if they haven't been inspected or adjusted yet, worn spark plugs.
I've changed the plugs 2 or 3 months ago. Next week will do the valve inspection and adjustment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know the speedometer are off but mine has showed doing over a 100 mph. Did a ride with 3 Harley touring bikes, 1 Honda VTX1300 and every one is 2 up except the Harleys. We ran between 70 and 80 for 65 miles and I hung with them. First part of the trip was 2 lane road and mostly rode right around 55 mph but the ride home beat me up. I was only 1 without a fairing or windshield, don't count my Bullet fairing. Every one that has rode my bike has been surprised how good it runs. Know it is not fast, just seems good for a 900.

·
Registered
308 Posts
test it in 4th gear if you haven't yet and you don't notice unusual noises...

redline ~7000RPM, protected by a limiter

75mph in 5th gear is ~ 4400RPM.
4400RPM is 65mph in 4th gear and 53mph is 3rd.
if the engine rpm is 'limited' to the ~4400 PRMs you shouldn't be able to go faster in lower gears...

75mph in 4th is about 5000RPMs. 85mph is ~ 5700RPMs, top hp for the vn900.

rpm/speed calc:
Kawasaki Vulcan Speed Calculator

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is there some kind of limiter on it? I know the ECU in my old Honda Civic had a governor on it and I couldn't pass a certain speed for the life of me. Even if you open the throttle to full, if you have and ECU of any sort it will just cap the max fuel/air flow regardless of the throttle. They are usually added either for legal reasons (speed, AU has a LAM law) or to stop the engine from spazzing out.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Something is wrong for sure. Bike goes much faster than that.
........and welcome to the forum! I am new here too.........wealth of information with great people willing to give it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something is wrong for sure. Bike goes much faster than that.
........and welcome to the forum! I am new here too.........wealth of information with great people willing to give it!
Thanks)
The bike currently is still on vlave adjustment and also full fuel system cleaning.
Will get it back in few days and check it on the highway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
test it in 4th gear if you haven't yet and you don't notice unusual noises...

redline ~7000RPM, protected by a limiter

75mph in 5th gear is ~ 4400RPM.
4400RPM is 65mph in 4th gear and 53mph is 3rd.
if the engine rpm is 'limited' to the ~4400 PRMs you shouldn't be able to go faster in lower gears...

75mph in 4th is about 5000RPMs. 85mph is ~ 5700RPMs, top hp for the vn900.

rpm/speed calc:
Kawasaki Vulcan Speed Calculator
Ok, thanks! Also will check it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.
Yesterday i finally went on highway. And reached almost 95 mph))) the bike could go even faster but it was not necessary.
So for my bike the valve adjustment and fuel sytem cleaning did the job)
Thanks to all for comments.

Also i decided that for me the comfort speed is 65-70 mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts