Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 09 vulcan 1700 classic LT and I was changing the oil. It has two plugs and the front one was, when I put a wrench on it, was only hand tight. When I removed it, something stuck me in the finger and I found that the thread at the top of the hole had come off.

When I tried to replace the plug, it threaded in but would not tighten. I kmew I probably had to tap the hole and I never done that so I decided to by an M12 1.75 oversize plug. When I put it in the hole, it tighthened better then the original or the other plug up front.

I don't know if this is going to work but I'm going to try it. Could use some advise and info from anyone out there before I put the oil in and take her out.

thanks

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
I own a 09 vulcan 1700 classic LT and I was changing the oil. It has two plugs and the front one was, when I put a wrench on it, was only hand tight. When I removed it, something stuck me in the finger and I found that the thread at the top of the hole had come off.

When I tried to replace the plug, it threaded in but would not tighten. I kmew I probably had to tap the hole and I never done that so I decided to by an M12 1.75 oversize plug. When I put it in the hole, it tighthened better then the original or the other plug up front.

I don't know if this is going to work but I'm going to try it. Could use some advise and info from anyone out there before I put the oil in and take her out.

thanks

Bill
that sucks!
couple of questions...
1: how many oil changes on the bike so far?
2: who did the last oil change?
3: if there were previous oil changes, were the plugs put back in with a torque wrench and torqued properly?

please let us know, we may all be able to learn from your pain... and sorry for your trouble... rick

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oil pan advise

Folks, thanks for all the come backs.
Silverspur: it's the third change (has 11k). My friend did the last one for me and I don't think he would over tighten but you never know. Hope it doesn't ever happen to anyone else.

slowpoke, reply13, I'm going to try it and see what happens, I'll be sure to let you know.

By the way, I'm using a M-12 1.75 plug and it seems to work.

thanks to all of you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts