Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry,the Vaquero is a nice bike.This is not about that.
I figured the honda would smoke the Vaq in the usual performance contests of speed & braking and of coarse it does.
I mean,that's a given with that 6 cylinder powerplant. No contest.
What shocked me were some of the "other" stats.
The honda gets better gas mileage. 39.7 mpg vs. 37.5
Not a big deal until you consider it's got 6 cylinders to feed and it runs on REGULAR GAS. The Vaq. needs premium.
The honda has 262 mile range vs. 199 miles.
The seat height is lower on the honda,28.5 vs. 28.7 negligible but surprising.
I found a lot of that surprising but these two facts even more so.
The honda weighs LESS than the Vaq. 836#'s wet vs. 843.
And for you gadget lovers the honda has WAY more electrons for you to play with with stereo's & heated gear etc.
Honda charging output 1200 watts vs. 562 watts Honda 20AH Vaq. 10AH
That's a BIG difference. A HUGE advantage for touring/safety.
I thought the honda would be a lot heavier,use a lot more gas,and be taller.
I was wrong.Good job honda.

JJ

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
aluminum and plastic weigh a lot less than steel !!!

·
BOTM Winner, July 2014
22 Posts
The thing I like about my Vaq, it feels like a motorcycle. There is a thump to it and IMO a bad [email protected]# attitude look to it. I get that the Honda is probably a technical marvel but I would guess it would feel a little to refined for my taste.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
And there you have basically all the shortcomings of a V-twin summed up neatly. Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of a V-twin, five of them from 3 different manufacturers have graced my driveway. But a piece of cutting edge engineering they ain't...at least not the ones that get tucked into our beloved cruiser frames.

·
BOTM Winner, July 2014
22 Posts
And there you have basically all the shortcomings of a V-twin summed up neatly. Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of a V-twin, five of them from 3 different manufacturers have graced my driveway. But a piece of cutting edge engineering they ain't...at least not the ones that get tucked into our beloved cruiser frames.

Your exactly right. This is my first cruiser (20 plus bikes :) ) and to be perfectly honest with you I like the fact that it's not a powerhouse. I simply want to cruise and not lose my license:D. Although I really am tempted to add a Hyabusa or a Vmax to the stable:D

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Not a big deal until you consider it's got 6 cylinders to feed and it runs on REGULAR GAS. The Vaq. needs premium.
(I'm not trying to steal your thread, this just caught my eye)

I run mid-grade in my Vaq. Somewhere in here there's a thread where RacNRay gets into how his Vaq runs better/dyno's better with regular grade gas.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I never liked the vaquero , nomad, drifter, or meanstreak, for me kaw should just stick to classics until they have a design team with balls. For me only v2k rogue, and vulcan 1600, like the 1700 but kind of smallish

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
When they 1st came to a local dealer, I was looking at one, until I found they dont have cruise control, then I just walked away.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's funny to me that a bike can be built with fantastic all around performance and people would not buy it because it doesn't automatically work the gas for them.
How lazy have americans become ?
However a bike can have generic performance but if it looks "right" & sounds "right" they line up to buy it.
It defies logic.Such is life.Ride often.

JJ

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Well here is the way I see it, both bikes are sound machines, neither one will leave you stranded right out of the gate. Sure some have their issue in places others don't. But dang it, if you like pie, then eat pie and tell all those cake eaters to get over the fact that you don't like cake. I have never rode a GW but I am sure it is a nice ride if that is the kind of ride your after.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's funny to me that a bike can be built with fantastic all around performance and people would not buy it because it doesn't automatically work the gas for them.
How lazy have americans become ?
However a bike can have generic performance but if it looks "right" & sounds "right" they line up to buy it.
It defies logic.Such is life.Ride often.

JJ
If you're not looking for push buttons, gizmos and whirly-ma-gigs then why look at the F6B?
If the engine is all you're after; get the Valkerie.
If it's just speed; get the Hyabusa.

Hell, if all the little things that make a bike desirable to ya are just a bunch of fluff; then why not ride one of those Chi-com imports?

Ride what you want
Scott

·
Registered
851 Posts
If your gonna compare the facts than have the proper facts! If I may point out a couple of facts that you left out. Performance, your comparing a 1832cc vs 1700cc. Mileage, You say the F6B gets 262 mile range vs the Vaquero at 199 mile range. You forgot to add the fact that the F6B has a 6.6 vs 5.3 gal tank, by the way I can get on my Vaquero about 45-46 mpg depending on the map I run. Weight, you got your facts backwards F6B is 842 lbs vs the Vaquero at 836.7 lbs curb weight. Here's two links for both bike compare the facts yourself, lol! I'm sure the F6B is a nice bike as many are these days but I love my Vaquero and will be sticking with her for a long time, and that is a fact!

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=576

http://powersports.honda.com/touring/2014/gold-wing-f6b/specifications.aspx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your gonna compare the facts than have the proper facts! If I may point out a couple of facts that you left out. Performance, your comparing a 1832cc vs 1700cc.

The FACT that it gets better mileage than your 1700 twin is amazing.

Mileage, You say the F6B gets 262 mile range vs the Vaquero at 199 mile range.

It DOES have more range. It DOES get better mileage,sorry.

You forgot to add the fact that the F6B has a 6.6 vs 5.3 gal tank, by the way I can get on my Vaquero about 45-46 mpg depending on the map I run.

A big tank on a touring type bike is a very good thing.

Weight, you got your facts backwards F6B is 842 lbs vs the Vaquero at 836.7 lbs curb weight.

That's not what Rider magazine says. Honda 836 #'s Kawi 843 #'s

The biggest "touring bagger" difference that blew my mind is that the Vaquero has a 562 watt alternator and the honda's got a TWELVE HUNDRED WATT alternator.

Most touring type cruiser riders I know add lights etc.
The electrical system on the kawi is pitiful in comparison.
I wouldn't "expect" the kawi to be so lacking since by "appearance" it "seems" to be for the open road.

I notice that some of you you get all uptight about this stuff.
That's a shame. That's not why I posted it.

I don't like the honda or the kawi so I have no stake in these "facts".
I was just stating that it is curious that a bigger,more powerful,faster,better handling bike gets better mileage,better braking,is lighter,and has a superior electrical system than
the Vaquero which touts itself as a big,over the road touring bagger.

I think the engineering is amazing on the honda.

I would expect the kawi to be more than a hundred pounds lighter than the honda.
It's a TWIN for crissakes,not a shaft driven SIX.

Anyways.
Don't get mad. Go for a nice ride.

JJ

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Statistics aside.
Motorcycling is a personal thing and everyone has their reasons that they ride a particular bike.

JJ

·
Registered
141 Posts
why not just say the honda will smoke any comparable(bagger or cruiser) bike with a vtwin engine? don't just pick on the vaquero.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok.
Again,I'm not picking on any bike.
Sorry if you took it that way.
EVERY bike has things that make it the right bike for you.
I also said that I didn't like EITHER bike. Did you read that ?

The honda will smoke ANY yamaha,harley,victory,indian,kawi,suzi, stock full dress bagger bike.
A Rocket III Touring is about the only contender in this class.
Happy now ?
C'mon,if you love your bike that's great.
You didn't buy it for performance,you bought it for appearance,sound,price,and the way it makes you feel.
And most 4 cylinder sporty jap bikes will smoke any of these cruisers.
NOT the point.
The point as far as those specs go is that the Vaquero is too heavy for a twin and it should have a LOT more alternator. A lot more electrons is ALWAYS a good thing.
Don't get upset.Go for a nice ride.

JJ

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
ok.
Again,I'm not picking on any bike.
Sorry if you took it that way.
EVERY bike has things that make it the right bike for you.
I also said that I didn't like EITHER bike. Did you read that ?

The honda will smoke ANY yamaha,harley,victory,indian,kawi,suzi, stock full dress bagger bike.
A Rocket III Touring is about the only contender in this class.
Happy now ?
C'mon,if you love your bike that's great.
You didn't buy it for performance,you bought it for appearance,sound,price,and the way it makes you feel.
And most 4 cylinder sporty jap bikes will smoke any of these cruisers.
NOT the point.
The point as far as those specs go is that the Vaquero is too heavy for a twin and it should have a LOT more alternator. A lot more electrons is ALWAYS a good thing.
Don't get upset.Go for a nice ride.

JJ
Gonna have to start handing out ice packs for all these hurt feelings, lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts