Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I noticed something that maybe an issue or not, I am new to VN900 although not to Vulcans in general.
Around 4k rpm and only when the engine is in gear a vibration develops that produces a slight ringing (?) noise coming from under the seat or the engine I believe, I cannot pinpoint it due to the fact that it only happens when I am riding, if give it gas stationary in neutral it does not occur and it stops when I pull the clutch to change gear when cruising.
I will check the belt tension but I would appreciate any ideas on where else to look at.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i had a rattling sound and after sending it in with a warranty check up it was something todo with the headlight, the garage put some tape or something in there and fixed it right up

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had a rattling sound and after sending it in with a warranty check up it was something todo with the headlight, the garage put some tape or something in there and fixed it right up
I am afraid it is not that simple as the noise appears only at a certain high RPM range.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine does the same thing. I still don't know if it normal or not.
I guess it's nothing serious as these decade old bikes would have suffered engine failure if it were :grin2:
I do most of the maintenance myself, including valve adjustment, so I have to find it myself or with the help of this community as I do not trust any dealer or shop to lay hands on this beauty!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I was checking stuff I noticed the rear shock upper nut was loose to the point of falling off the bolt 😨
I torqued it to 44 lb/ft and hope all is well!
Previous owner had lowering kit installed and maybe the mechanic forgot to tighen the bolt?
Who knows, I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a belt tension tool and checked deflection, it is about 8 mm across the belt at 3 different locations. Should I tighten it a bit to the 4mm recommended or not bother with it?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I bought a belt tension tool and checked deflection, it is about 8 mm across the belt at 3 different locations. Should I tighten it a bit to the 4mm recommended or not bother with it?
Would leave it right there
,the horror stories of tight belts,loosened mine to 8 when I did the tires:smile2:No whine no nothing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Revrider makes a valid point. My experience with these types of belts in motorcycle and industrial use is if there's ample side wall on the pulleys to prevent coming off then looser is better than tight.

On the V-Rod forum there are several threads of trashed rear pulley bearings and tranny output shaft bearings from over tight belts.

Most people think these things are rubber and thus stretchy. Nothing could be further from true. They are designed for minimal stretch and long life without constant adjustment for stretch, and so they stretch almost not at all. Most common forms of failure are delamination and shredding teeth. This is more likely from being used overtight and with power in excess of rating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyway I tend to believe that this engine vibration at these high RPMs is maybe a way of the motor to tell me: " I have reached the peak of my performance, change gear now" as I cannot find anything wrong, at least not visible.
Whether it is a misaligned balancer as I read somewhere else (for another model anyway) I am not willing to try and find out as long as I am so thrilled about this Vulcan overall !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did my valves yesterday at 34000 kms, previous owner never had htem checked. Exhaust in the front and all in the rear cylinder needed adjustment, only had to buy 2 shims (3 € each) as I swapped some or use some old ones from my VN400 I had.
I know it is possible to check without removing the tank but for me it is impossible to use a torque wrench unless I remove it.
The thing that was a bit hard for me was to remove the spark plug tube each cylinder has. I used a thin screwdriver but scratched the inner side of each tube a tiny bit. Greased them a bit although they already were oily and had some grease on the rings.
Valves can be heard ticking now even more at idle but the strange buzzing noise /sensation at high rpms before changing gears is still present.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts