Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to work when the bike seemed like it went over some kind of a small dip in the road. Nothing big, very minor. I going probably somewhere between 30 to 40 mph at the time and the handlebars started to move back and forth on their own after going over this minor dip in the road. I slowed down a bit and it corrected itself and I went on. Has anyone else experienced this? I've heard about tank slappers before and I'm wondering if that's what this was.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
The death wobble refers to the front tire causing the handle bars to "wobble" moving erratically from left to right until either you recover or crash......

Yes it sounds like you had a minor case of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did some googling on it. I do have two different brand tires on the bike, which is how it was when I bought it. Both brand new, I'm not sure why they didn't install a matching set. Maybe I should get a new rear tire to match. I also removed the windshield. Maybe I should re-install it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this a symptom of a recurring problem or is it something that can just happen once due to road conditions and then not happen again? I know, stupid question, I'm just trying to figure out what it could be.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is this a symptom of a recurring problem or is it something that can just happen once due to road conditions and then not happen again? I know, stupid question, I'm just trying to figure out what it could be.
Road conditions play a great big part on how the bike handles. Many times you can't see what the infraction is that is causing the problem. I've gone down what seems like a perfectly smooth road and have bounced up and down like I was on a gravel road. Last week I went for a ride and as I was cornering I got the Harley wiggle in the back and some even in the front. When I got home I found out they had a minor earthquake right in the area I was at. Repetition is usually how you find out if it was road or bike. Wait and see if it does it again in another area with other conditions. If not then chalk it off to the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever had the the risers loosen up on the bar? That's a fun experience traveling 65 MPH down the road! I call it C.A.B. or Constantly Adjusting Bar.
Nope. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I do all my scheduled maintenance on time and I have a great mechanic who lets me know right away if anything looks amiss. I did have my rear drum lock up on me once in the middle of the freeway when I was going about 70. That was a fun day. And following week.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
What you experienced was a fairly normal steering wobble.
A tank slapper is described by the name and a death wobble is at higher speed and difficult to get under control.

There's a couple of things you can do to reduce it happening.
You can bump up the tire pressure on the front, I liked 36-38 psi.
You can tighten the steering stem nut by lifting the front tire; removing the top of the triple tree and drifting it with a big screwdriver.

You can eliminate the wobble by replacing the bearings with a tapered bearing. This is a PITA though.

Scott

·
Registered
918 Posts
Nope. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I do all my scheduled maintenance on time and I have a great mechanic who lets me know right away if anything looks amiss. I did have my rear drum lock up on me once in the middle of the freeway when I was going about 70. That was a fun day. And following week.
There's nothing mechanically involved in tightening the riser caps. I do my work myself, too and no mechanic involved. Reduces down time because around here, if the bike goes in, you're done for the season.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would want to go back and drive the same road again to understand what happened. You said it is on your way to work, right. Just pay attention and drive it again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts