Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this on multiple forums in hopes that someone might be able to advise me on this. I am not due for service for another 2,000 miles and I am just about due for an oil change which I will be doing myself on Saturday.

Last night I was at a bike night. When I left, my bike started up fine. As I started to exit the parking spot it stalled. It took two tries until it would start. It turned over just fine but didn't want to catch. This has happened before but sporadically so I haven't been too worried about it.

I stopped a few parking spots up to say good bye to a few people. I put the bike in neutral. After a few minutes it started idling really high and wouldn't stop. I tried revving the throttle but it didn't work. Then it suddenly started idling really low and sputtering. A few knowledgeable bikers came over and had no idea what it was. They checked to make sure that it wasn't misfiring. They said it sounded like a choke issue but couldn't be since I have fuel injection and not a carburetor.

I was a bit nervous riding home by myself since I was afraid I would get stuck but I had absolutely no issues on the way home. I should also mention that it was raining when I headed out earlier. No rain when I left but extremely humid. It was like riding through pea soup.

Any ideas? I don't have a good bike shop close to me so I am hoping it's something I can either fix or look at myself or have a friend look at it. I have a ride tomorrow night, weather permitting, and just want to make sure I shouldn't be too worried. I will have people riding with me to our destination but coming home will be by myself and it's 45 minute ride for me.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. I did just get gas (premium) but it is a reputable (I think) gas station.

·
Registered
122 Posts
im no bike mechanic but i have been working on cars for many years being that these bikes are fuel injected means tht the computer enriches it and controls the idle threw a idle air control motor or iac im not sure if our bikes have one aswell but im thinking they must to control the idle i know if they get gummed up or stuck on a car it can cause the idle to do some wierd stuff

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello DebbieW

Here is part of my service manual trouble shooting guide. As stated above, these bikes are fuel injected and as such, about a zillion things could be wrong with it. In the service manual, FI troubleshooting section is longer than engine rebuild! I'd suggest only messing with it if you're mechanically inclined, have the service manual and a multi-meter. My first question to you is have or are you getting the FI light on when the bike is running? This machine has an FI self diagnostics. (3 mode) User, dealer and safe. Is the FI light blinking when running? My next question is pretty basic. Is the idle set to low? Idle adjustment screw is in front of the air cleaner. Kick up the idle a bit and see if it helps (Turn clockwise to increase). Since your not having issues when riding or in drivability, I'm looking at at the simplest thing first. You could have gotten water in fuel although I've never had that issue in 45 years of riding. I'm not a big fan of magic potions in the fuel but for sh^&ts and giggles you could try adding some fuel injector cleaner to your fuel. Simple to do and certainly will do no harm. Beyond these, your getting into some serious checking of mechanical and electrical components. You may need to find a good dealer if you do not feel confident.....alas, a carbureted bike would be much easier for the shade tree mechanic to diagnose. Try the idle adjustment first and let me know how you make out....good luck!

From the service manual

Symptoms or Possible Causes Actions (chapter)
Incorrect idle speed
Water temperature sensor trouble Inspect (see chapter 3).
Throttle sensor trouble Inspect (see chapter 3).
Throttle valves or actuator trouble Inspect (see chapter 3).
Engine stalls easily
Fuel pump trouble Inspect (see chapter 3).
Fuel injector trouble Inspect (see chapter 3).
Throttle sensor trouble (engine stops when
opening the throttle)
Inspect (see chapter 3).
Fuel pressure too low or too high Inspect (see chapter 3).
Inlet air temperature sensor trouble Inspect (see chapter 3).
Fuel pressure too low or too high Inspect (see chapter 3).
Fuel pressure regulator trouble Inspect and replace (see chapter 3).
Crankshaft sensor trouble Inspect (see chapter 16).
Ignition coil trouble Inspect (see chapter 16).
Compression Low

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had a similar problem just the other day: after a short ride (less than a mile) it began idling very fast as i pulled into a parking space. Blipping the throttle did not reduce the rpm, so i turned it off and went into the store. Upon starting it when leaving, it balked a bit before catching and then idled too slow, but seemed to run all right. Later, when heading home, (and since) i haven't had any problems.
Strange.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Definitely feels like a fuel delivery issue to me. The fact that it is sporadic rather than steady leads me to believe that there is some sort of "clog" developing in your fuel system somewhere. That might explain why you can go for long periods of time on the road with no issues, but at (or shortly after) startup you have trouble keeping it running.

I haven't looked at the service manual, but I'm gonna tomorrow. Taking it to a dealer is something you may have to prepare yourself for. :( That is a last resort for me (and most of the others on this forum) so with any luck someone can figure this out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you get water in your air filter(air box) it will run like crap till it is out of there. Maybe you got some sucked in when it was raining. I have had this happen a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
1.If dirt or dust is allowed to pass through into the fuel injection system, the throttle may become stuck leaing to an accident. (Check your air filter)!
2.Check your throttle control. Too much play and the idle will be erratic, too little play and the idle will "race"!
3.Air suction valves. The valve lets fresh air to flow from the air cleaner to the exhaust port. Any air that passes is prevented from returning. When stable idling can't be obtained, this must be checked!

These 3 possible causes were gleaned straight from the manual. It's been my personal experience that whenever an engine is "starved" for gas.....it "races".
I suspect you picked up some dirt somewhere. Hopefully this has passed through.
Good luck and regards-Silent.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mine did the fast idle thing the other day. I rode to my destination and after about an hour started it up to leave. I rode through the parking lot and when I stopped to get onto the main road the idle went higher than normal. I thought, "WTF?", hit the kill switch then re-started it. The idle returned to normal and nothing out of the ordinary has happened since. :confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't overlook an "enemy / jerk" that will squirt water in your intake when you aint looking---How is it running now? Some times a "guirky thing" will happen---If the FI light is not on you will likely waste money at a dealer,---they aint gonna spend much time looking for an intermittant problem, but they will spend a lot of your money---- unless it is still under warranty I would wait and see if the same symptoms happen again and then try to note the conditions of both times it was "quirky". Talk to it nice, trust it and ride!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the bike out tonight and no issues at all. It ran perfectly. I am thinking the humidity played a part the other night and if there was some dirt, it must have worked it's way through. I have to bring it in in a few weeks for the 15,000 mile maintenance but will check my air filter this weekend when I do my oil change.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think to be safe I would run a little Sea Foam thru and at least one tank of gas before taking a trip... if it is (was) a dirt issue the Sea Foam should clean that up. I would also throughly clean the air filter... look for any signs of anything getting past it's seal inside the air filter housing... the high humidity with even a mildly dirty filter could very well lead to air flow restriction... and would clear up if the filter dried out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar problem just the other day: after a short ride (less than a mile) it began idling very fast as i pulled into a parking space. Blipping the throttle did not reduce the rpm, so i turned it off and went into the store. Upon starting it when leaving, it balked a bit before catching and then idled too slow, but seemed to run all right. Later, when heading home, (and since) i haven't had any problems.
Strange.
I have quite a bit of smoke coming out of my exhaust pipes at start up. I have added a power commander, intake, and cobra exhaust, and had the bike dynoed at a speed shop about a year ago. In the last few months, I have noticed a strong smell of gas fumes and white smoke coming out of my exhaust. What is going on???
Hi fellow Kawa fans. Just joined out of need (bike trouble). I sold my Harley cause it was unsafe at high speed and WENT BACK TO MY TRUSTED RICE BURNER thats safe.

I hate to say that this is a great topic I do so only because it's close to my problem. I bought a 2008 totaled Meanie w/1.2K-mi, swapped frames w/a 2005, it ran fine on the lift before the swap, now it is doing worse then that described in the above quote.

I blow fuel out my tasil pipes five feet in a spray. Didn't do that two weeks ago. I rechecked all my wiring and all was OK. My FI light self diag. shows no problems/off. I finally pulled my injector holder and watched the injectors at "Key-On" and they ran for 15 seconds wide open. That is where my flooding is comming from. I disconnected the Cobra Fi2000 to see if it was giving me a over rich "start" but that wasn't it.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS other then Kawasaki saying "check ECU input voltage and ECU ground, if correct replace ECU". good god man what a cost !!

HELP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts