Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 model - Accelerator Cable Keeping Carbs opened slightly.

Cable end is connected to the carburetor, the terminator is straight in the holder, the cable is routed through correctly (ie not touching the plastic vent tube)

For some reason - if the top 10mm tightener nut is left on, even with slack all the way opened on handlebar adjustment - and the nut adjusted as high as it can go - it is opening the butterflies in the carbs slightly. It is as if - the cable has shrunk? or the cable sheath lengthened somehow?

The effect is - the engine does not idle. Worse, if the handlebars are moved to the right, it races the engine even more.

Has anyone seen this before - and understand what causes this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Worse, if the handlebars are moved to the right, it races the engine even more.
That right there sounds like the problem. The handle position should not effect the throttle position regardless of cable length.... unless the cable is kinked or pinched.

Undo any zip ties or cable clamps. Does the problem still happen when you move the handle bars?

Disconnect to two cables from the carb linkage. Does the throttle grip move effortlessly and smoothly? If not, lube and/or check for kinks/pinches.

As for the cable length, maybe the two cables got swapped? Or previous owner bought the wrong cable? I am not sure if the two throttle cables are different lengths or not, but they do have two different part numbers.

CABLE-THROTTLE,CLOSING:54012-0060
CABLE-THROTTLE,OPENING:54012-0061

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is conceivable - that the cables were either reversed or the wrong one installed on the open side. It had 5k miles on it when I bought it from the original owner. That owner mentioned having the carburetors serviced. [But - why would the shop pull the cables all the way off? Maybe it "recommended" replacing the cables? And - why did it seem to work fine for a while, after I did what they should have done and replaced the pilot jets?]

Tank was pulled off - to look for any problems with cable routing and kinks - everything looks normal.

Appears the next step is - to just put a new cable on it (ty for the part #s).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Disconnect to two cables from the carb linkage. Does the throttle grip move effortlessly and smoothly?
I would really try this first. The handlebar movement should not effect the throttle position regardless of cable length.

You could even disconnect both cables from the carb and then wiggle the handlebars and watch which cable moves. This might give you an idea as to which cable is the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts