Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm on my way home.

I'm coming off the interstate. I'm first in line at a light waiting to make a right hand turn off of the off-ramp. I'm on the right hand side of my lane.

An old Toyota pulls up beside me. By beside me, I mean he pulls up into my lane, right beside me. The front of his car is about level with my ass.

I turn my head his way. I'm glaring at him. Sizing him up, really. Older guy. Maybe early 60s. He starts talking, moving his lips wildly like he's angry. No idea what he's saying. I call out to him, "We're not going to have a problem, are we?"

More lips moving wildly. No clue what he's saying. He's pissed off about something. I recommend he do something that I'm real sure isn't physically possible and commence to completely ignoring him.

His lips never stop moving, but he does wait patiently for me to clear his vehicle before making a move.

You really have to wonder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mexico City

I'm new so hopefully I'm replying to the guy about the nut case who pulled up beside him. In 1972, I was driving my Yamaha 650 out of Mexico City on a six lane highway. Had had a great time throughout the trip but some maniac drives right past me, almost hits my left mirror, no traffic to speak of, just being a jerk. Be careful out there folks. There are millions more nut cases to monitor now than back then!

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blumax, you got it right. I'm telling you, I think this time of year brings out the freaks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I turn my head his way. I'm glaring at him. Sizing him up, really. Older guy. Maybe early 60s. He starts talking, moving his lips wildly like he's angry. No idea what he's saying. I call out to him, "We're not going to have a problem, are we?"
Was involved in a dangerous road rage incident many years ago which changed my way of thinking. Basically, I don't do anything to amplify a situation and avoid eye contact so as not to make it personal btw myself and the, uh, perpetrator.

One never knows whether that person has mental and/or emotional issues. They are usually quite harmless if left alone. Then we have those who're not exactly courteous drivers due to all sorts of intangibles like an emergency or just simply seething from personal problems.

Perhaps he was a veteran with PTSD and was just having a bad day.

I'd have ignored him and continued heading home as there's too many cagers out there invading our space due to the relatively small footprints of our steeds especially when we're in the far right side of our lane.

Never, ever insist on the right of way as it could turn into a deadly situation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Time for a short rant!
Back in the days. 1974, gas shortages and 55 mph speed limits. Southbound on I-395 into San Diego on my old 750 Commando, bag of groceries balanced on the tank. Camaro with two idiots in it playing bumper tag at 65 mph and nicked my rear fender. Heavy quart glass bottle of Coca Cola through the windshield and driver of said Camaro found out his new car didn't go cross country thru the desert very well. Shame of it was, I lost the 10 cent deposit for the bottle. Price you pay, I guess.
Difference between then and now. Many, many more cars on the roads today, higher speed limits and many more distractions (cell phones, stereos, screaming kids, etc.). I imagine the idiot to good driver ratio is probably about the same so you have to stay aware of you surroundings at all times and keep your eyes open. In all these years, people still haven't learned you won't need to be in a hurry if you get up 5 minutes earlier and leave 5 minutes earlier. Not gonna change either. People being people still do the dumbest things and that's no gonna change either. I just try real hard to keep the dumb stuff I do to a minimum.
My 2 cents worth.
Keep the shiny side up. Ride safe. Bob

·
Registered
560 Posts
Time for a short rant!
Back in the days. 1974, gas shortages and 55 mph speed limits. Southbound on I-395 into San Diego on my old 750 Commando, bag of groceries balanced on the tank. Camaro with two idiots in it playing bumper tag at 65 mph and nicked my rear fender. Heavy quart glass bottle of Coca Cola through the windshield and driver of said Camaro found out his new car didn't go cross country thru the desert very well. Shame of it was, I lost the 10 cent deposit for the bottle. Price you pay, I guess.
Difference between then and now. Many, many more cars on the roads today, higher speed limits and many more distractions (cell phones, stereos, screaming kids, etc.). I imagine the idiot to good driver ratio is probably about the same so you have to stay aware of you surroundings at all times and keep your eyes open. In all these years, people still haven't learned you won't need to be in a hurry if you get up 5 minutes earlier and leave 5 minutes earlier. Not gonna change either. People being people still do the dumbest things and that's no gonna change either. I just try real hard to keep the dumb stuff I do to a minimum.
My 2 cents worth.

Its not funny, and its a serious concern for all riders everyday, but the way you worded it cracked my ars up!!!!:D That sucks losing that coke bottle! One hell of a way to get their attention though!:eek:

If waving the tailgater around doesn't work, then they get the bird, and if that fails then its a handful of ball bearings I keep in my handle bar pouch.

But like you said, its all about the idiot to good driver ratio, they all have to many damn distractions....

·
Registered
40 Posts
My mantra is "Don't trust anyone behind a steering wheel" when you're riding. Along with a seeming 10-20 pt drop in IQ (once they've started the engine & put it in gear) goes an attitude that "if I pull out or cut into their lane, the motorcycle will stop or get out of my way". That, and the speed limit is seen as a challenge, not so much that "I'm late, outa my way", but rather that habitual speeders get it into their between-the-ears vacancy that they're "being held back" and get their undies in a bunch and get the squirmies (I gotta go faster, I gotta go faster!!". They play head games with themselves, and the Dunning-Kreuger effect manifests itself.)

And if we think it's bad here, go to Youtube and put in "Motorcycles in Russia". You won't believe it. (Of course, some of the riders there seem to have oatmeal for brains.....and I'm guessing about 40% of all drivers are "vodka'd up).

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I was riding on a two lane highway behind a guy in a little Honda compact car, waiting for a chance to pass him. We're going about 55, and he decides to fling a huge Big Gulp cup pf ice cubes out the window. I know he didn't see me, because I kept looking to see if he made eye contact, and never looked in his mirror once. Anyway, I was treated to a shower of ice cubes at 55 MPH. I had that immediate flash of anger and rode right up on his tail, and flashed my brights at him. He finally saw me, got a terrified look on his face, and hit the gas. I chased him, and soon we were going 80 MPH on this rural two lane. I finally calmed down and realized how ridiculous and dangerous I was being. Letting emotions get the best of you can get you killed on a motorcycle, especially when your adversary is in a vehicle that outweighs yours about 4 to one at least. I pulled over, took a few deep, breaths, looked at the awesome scenery and decided I wanted to keep seeing it for a few more years.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Time for a short rant!
My 2 cents worth.
Ahh the old glass bottle Cokes. Went through many of 1 liter bottles myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Think we all have one of those stories truth be told - 99% of the time I can let stuff go, but that 1% aaarrrgggghhhhh!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts