Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Strange noises and surging... 2006 VN900B

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jbiggers 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have a stock 2006 VN900 Classic with a stock exhaust system, and just under 48000km on it.

It's regularly serviced (due again at 55000km) and I have just today changed the oil, but I've noticed lately it doesn't sound or perform right.

The best way I can describe the performance is like a slight surge when I'm riding at a constant speed, and it almost feels like I'm dragging something along...
I've checked the brakes, and there's nothing caught up in them and the pads and rotors aren't overly worn.

There is a noise that I can best describe as a slight "whoosh" from the left side of the motor as I'm riding along, and It doesn't sound too great while idling either.

I've attached a video of it idling... I can't quite put my finger on it, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Unfortunately I can't get decent audio of the sounds it makes while riding.

I have an inkling that it may be the dreaded stator issue endemic in this model, but am unsure.

Anyone have any thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds normal to me. Maybe check the airbox and make sure there are no leaks/hose off going into it. Almost sounds like your getting a rush of new air at a certain speed...........a guess....

Reactions: 2006Vulcan900
#4 · (Edited)
....you know as well, a lot of people have had weird things happen that ended up being the stator, maybe you could search the site and find a test or more indications of stator failure.........again......what do I know? I am certainly not the expert, just a back yard mechanic. There are experts on this site though that have saved me tons of money and explained things perfectly.....

Reactions: 2006Vulcan900
#5 ·
I've listened several times and it sounds normal to me too. There could be a slight knocking noise, but that could just be the video. I think the best way to know if you have a stator problem is to do battery test while the bike is running. As far as the slight surge goes, it could be fuel related (this tank of fuel). How is the air filter?

#12 · (Edited)
The air filter was replaced approx 4 or 5 months ago during a major service.

The knocking noise you hear is also what I hear, and with a dowel placed to my ear and the top of the heads it seems definitely louder.

I've been told by a workmate who has been around bikes all his life that he believes it could be the valve shims needing replacement, but he also thinks it could be the cam chain tensioner...

I'm at a complete loss. I don't know if it's still safe to ride, or if riding it will cause further damage.

My mechanic can't come over to have a look until after Christmas, due to his current workload, and I'm loathe to bring it to another workshop, as my current mechanic has worked on this bike since the previous owner bought it new back in 2006...

Cheers.

#7 ·
Shouldn't that be higher? When running mine is at 14-12.8 volts...........

#9 ·
Yep, sorry, didn't read it properly. My mistake

#11 ·
OK... I've been trying to work out where the noise is coming from, which unfortunately is not easily discernible from the video.

Using the bush mechanics stethoscope method (a long bit of dowel! :D), there is a slight rattling/fast tapping noise coming from the top of the heads.

It is definitely worse while riding, and barely discernible whilst idling.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works!

Guesses, anyone???

Cheers

Alex

#13 ·
You say, regulary serviced. Has the valve lash been checked at the proper intervals?If you're concerned about the shims, a clearance check is called for. Not a difficult job, does require pulling the gas tank and valve covers. I believe the tensioner check is pretty easy too, but that I've never done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.