Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 lt 2009. I now have 1500 miles on it. When I throttle up I hear a squeaking noise for the first few hundred RPM. If I throttle slowly no noise. Service guy told me not to worry try regular gas?. Has anyone experience this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
moving or stationary??

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just bought my first Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 lt 2009. I now have 1500 miles on it. When I throttle up I hear a squeaking noise for the first few hundred RPM. If I throttle slowly no noise. Service guy told me not to worry try regular gas?. Has anyone experience this problem.
Its probably in the dash around the gauges or windshield!

PS Don't laugh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moving. from a stand still or on the move if I give it a hard throttle I get a cerpipng noise. If I throttle up slowly no noise. There's times when you need to throttle up race against a yellow light or just rounding a corner going up hill. Thanks for looking. Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No it's definately a cherp from below. I thought maybe the motor mounts. One side is pinched up but the other has a space between the rubber cheek and the metal mount. Kawasaki dealer said " that's nothing" is it? thanks for looking. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
That sounds like the belt alright.... a little loose .... Mine was WAY WAY too tight out of the box.. A tight belt will whine on decel. Cold temps will make them chirp also. The sound comes up from below and back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok BUBBA I'll put an ear to the belt. Like yours my belt is tight. Kawi service likes the belt tight? I also have a1987 HD softail custom and the belt has a good 3/8 to 1/2 play. So thanks again. I'll let you no what I find. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
This new VV is the only thing I have with a belt. I have not ridden a belt drive since I retired 4 years ago. (I do not count the Yamaha Majesty even though it does have a drive belt, but its different)

All those years of driving those Harleys for a living, I did all the simple maintenance on them myself, tires, oils changes, belt changes and other stuff. I could even map it. I never had to put one in the shop for anything mechanical. We had 8 motors and I maintained all of them (for overtime of course after work and weekend) Kawasaki KZ1000P's for 3 years then Harley for 17 years. New ones every 3 years.

Anyway, I would always put the Harley OEM belt on and even though adjusting the belt for me is easy, I would find that belts would not be the same when it came to that chirping threshold. But Normally one quick adjustment was all I ever needed. We would change the belt every year unless it broke, which I had several do. You would think they would break when I am driving like a wild man, none ever did, but they ALL broke just cruising between 25 and 50 mph just mozying along the road taking it easy. None of them made any noise coming off and I found out when I gave it gas, the engine reved up and I did not go. Even though my patrol area radius was 100 miles, I never had one break out of town. (yes I always carried extra gas, NO gas stations out there) Always in town going slow, most was downhill.

·
Registered
217 Posts
First I would make sure the belt is adjusted right and that the rear wheel is lined up right.

I'm not sure about the older belts, but the Gates carbon fiber belt that Kawasaki uses gets tighter when it warms up. It should have a little bit of play when its cold. About 3-5 mm by the manual, I set mine at the looser setting.
I have some rock damage to my belt and I only found one thing that will shut it up, Dupont Teflon Multi Use Dry Wax spray lube. Its about $5 a can at Lowes and it lasts a long time.
You can use some of that for a test, if it gets better then it is the belt.
Good luck and keep us posted,

To get a good coating of it I raise the back tire and take off the left saddlebag and drop the muffler down so I can get the belt guard off. Then I spray the exposed part of the belt and sprocket, let it dry and spray it again, then move the belt/sprocket a little bit and spray it again, ect. Use a piece of cardboard to block the spray from the tire so you don't make your back tire slick.
You could probably just jack it up and use the spray tube in the crack up by the front sprocket while turning the tire and lube it pretty good that way too
James

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
You don't need wax or anything else...

Mine makes ZERO noise on accel or decel.. No chirp or whine. I have about 1/2 inch deflection in it. Also got it running center, not on the left edge like it came. Rubbing against the pulley edge makes it chirp too. That took a while to get it the first time as I was not "used" to working on this thing yet. Have not had it 3 months yet, and have 7k miles on it. It is still running center. I have the exhaust wrap to do the exhaust pipes. I noticed the new 2012 has an air deflector behind the radiator fan to deflect air down, and a box on the left side under the drivers seat that looks like it is a fan to blow air from behind the rear cylinder down to the ground.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No it's definately a cherp from below. I thought maybe the motor mounts. One side is pinched up but the other has a space between the rubber cheek and the metal mount. Kawasaki dealer said " that's nothing" is it? thanks for looking. Jim
If the motor is off a little bit in alignment that would make the belt out of alignment. Maybe look at some other bikes and see what you think.

They run on the edge of the front sprocket and that keeps the belt just off the outside edge of the back sprocket.

Keep us posted,
James

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey BUBBA how's going, sound like you've had an interesting life. I just completed my second season. I had an operation on my foot which would make too hard to balance on a boat as I use to do. I just turned 60 and out of no where I bought a bike and learned to ride. This season so far over 4000 miles. I bought the Harley because I figured I could work on it myself and have. I have to see how I can upload for viewing. I remove most of the chrome and had it re-chromed by Browns, nice job. Front fender and tanks touched up and clear coated to look like water. I very proud of it and get a lot of compliments.
The new Vulcan is great with the 1700 engine. Stops on a dime which is great. The information center is also cool. I know have about 1600 comfortable miles. I am also thinking of a new bike in a couple years like the Kawasaki concourse 14 abs. One of the guys a ride with has this bike and loves it. Everything I read has good things to say about it.
Enough for now. It's 54 degrees here today, clear sky and low winds and lots of warm sun for a ride.

·
Registered
369 Posts
thanks. I think my next step is a service manual. The belt tension makes sense.
my bike has that little space in the engine mount as you see in pic below. i have this chirp that you have every now and then. i had a hell of a time trying to find it but then i pinpointed it by putting my ear to the gas tank cap and bingo. thats where it is coming from. its something from inside the mechanism of the cap. And yes you should loosen up your belt as well. just get you a motorcycle jack, lift up the back wheel. take off your saddlebags for easy access. take out the cotter-pin, loosen the axle nut by holding the bolt on one end and loosening the nut on the other. theres notch marks on both sides of the frame. theres 2 nuts on each side holding the alignment. your going to loosen the one closest to the rear and the other one is the nut youll use to adjust the alignment. ive got mine on the third notch from the back. i also measure with a digital measuring device the distance from the center of the bolt to the back of the space in the frame that the bolt sits in on both side for a more accurate alignment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
justinmccurdy25

That space is part of the engine mount damper. You have it.. I have it, everyone should have it.... and they all should look like that.

Make sure your chrome tank bib is not rubbing on the tank on the front lower edge. (under the key) Mine was, and several other things were ticking, clicking and rubbing when I brought it home. I had to use some sticky back foam on the edge of it to make it stop. Started to just trim it back with the grinder.

Now no matter how much I lug it I have no rattles or squeaks.

Clipboard01.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the info. I was just at the dealers and he thinks the belt is a little tight, possible accounts for the chirp. If I let out the clutch slow, controlled and light on the throttle then no chirp. If I drive to keep up with my buds heavy on the throttle I get the chirp just when I release the clutch and that fast it's gone.
The other noise I have comes and goes. I can here it when I'm riding and better when I'm at ideal. I put a metal rod to the egine while running and I can hear the noise in the gear box/ maybe the clutch pack needs attention or it's in the hydraulic area? Thank for looking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I too have found use for foam tape, single and double stick. You have to be part inventor to keep the noises at bay. lol

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
justinmccurdy25

That space is part of the engine mount damper. You have it.. I have it, everyone should have it.... and they all should look like that.

Make sure your chrome tank bib is not rubbing on the tank on the front lower edge. (under the key) Mine was, and several other things were ticking, clicking and rubbing when I brought it home. I had to use some sticky back foam on the edge of it to make it stop. Started to just trim it back with the grinder.

Now no matter how much I lug it I have no rattles or squeaks.

View attachment 7796
Had that noise from my tank bib, too, so bought and installed a leather tank bib that goes under the sock one, from Sage Brush Leathers online.

No more noise from that stock plastic tank bib !

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Last July when I brought the new Voyager home, I had a little belt chirp from a way too tight belt, and the bib rattle everyone was talking about. foam tape fixed the rattle...

A tight belt chirps under load, sometime all the time too if the axle is way out of alignment. The Harleys I rode even with good belt tension would chirp a bit when it was COLD, like 35 degree until the pulley warmed up. I have heard some Harleys going by me that did not chirp, they were screaming..... even heard a Victory Vision last summer from at least 1/4 mile away. He had just put a new tire on it and could not hear the noise. (minister friend of mine)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts