Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching but did not find anything that seemed to be similar. Hopefully this sets off bells and y'all can tell me I am a dumb ass for not finding it as there are a million posts. Anyway,.....

2010 Voyager with 17,700 on her. I have only riden a few miles and notice when I get home from work (about 8 miles in town ride) and shut her off I have a high pitched whining type sound from the front end. Sound like up under tank maybe. The sound resembles a warning buzzer of sorts but everything is off. My second thought was some kinda sound from cooling system maybe pressure with a slight leak or something. I dunno I am lost and hoping it is some common thing that a noobe would not realize.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm betting it's the tank venting. Next time you stop and hear it, pop the gas cap open and see if it stops. My 1500 Classic did it too......normal

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the tank venting. Next time you stop and hear it, pop the gas cap open and see if it stops. My 1500 Classic did it too......normal
Good to know. I figured it was likely some normal thing for the bike since I only noticed it after I stopped and shut the bike off.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hey sodapop,1700 nomad here,went for a ride,pulled in garage,heard same kind of sound you have,think its normal

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You should hear my 800 in the summer time, it whistles so loud ,girls turn to see who it is. Its normal, do as Dlars says above.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The sound you are probably hearing is the same sound I have and everyone of these bikes have. When the 1700 is shut off the throttle plates return to a closed position. Oh, I am not an expert or a mech., but I wondered myself what it was buzzing under the tank so I took the right side cover off and seen this positioning take placed. Next time before you start your bike up just turn on ignition. Let it go thru the normal check, then turn key off. You should here the plates reposition themselves.
I don't hear it as much when I am outside of the garage. I hope this helps. It could be the vent, but I have never heard my whistling like I did from the 1500 I had before this one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Money on tank vents. Two lines one on rear bottom, each side of the tank. Probably pinched. Should be fairly loose dropping down towards the bottom and rear...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was out riding a bot today and when I got home I heard it a few minutes after I shut down. I opened gas cap and poof, all gone. So def was the tank vent. Thanks for the replies.

Sodapop

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My 06 nomad whistled all the time too. Gas gap. I have never heard the voyager do this, but, i also went deaf in 1 ear just after I got the Voyager. HMMMM!!! LOL.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Was out riding a bot today and when I got home I heard it a few minutes after I shut down. I opened gas cap and poof, all gone. So def was the tank vent. Thanks for the replies.

Sodapop
You want to take care of the vent lines so that you don't run into a vapor lock situation. Creates a vacuum and gas will not flow.

On my Kingpin I actually had this happen. The vent was through the gas cap and it would whistle like a banshee. After it died and the fix was opening the gas cap, I did a complete gas cap autopsy and had to add a couple of slices to the rubber diaphram. On the Voyager you just need to lift the tank and follow the lines down and make sure they are not pinched. If they are not pinched. Pull the spring clips on the tank nipples and make sure that paint is not blocking the hose. I saw this on my 08 Voyager. Not a complete block and not enough to cause the whistle but the paint was not limited to the metal tub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts