Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first I want to thank everyone here, since getting my Vulcan 900 I have done all the work and maintenance myself with the guidance of this forum and have been enjoying every minute of wrench turning.

I recently tore the bike down for a re-paint , while the paint was being done I also changed out my pulleys with the Barons front and rear pulleys. I have read a lot on the pulley change and the associated belt whine and tire adjustment and have run into a curious problem.

I get a high pitched rubbing sound but only when accelerating. If I let off the throttle the sound stops and comes back when I twist the throttle. It is the fact that it only happens when I twist the throttle is what is puzzling me.

Now I have adjusted the belt several times and tried to adjust until the belt was riding in the middle of the rear pully. Now it seems the belt seems to be drifting on the rear pulley. I have checked the last three times I got of the bike and one time the belt was in the middle, then to the left then a little more to the center.

Do you think the belt is too loose? why would it only be making the sound when accelerating? Any ideas at all?

on another note, I also just had to replace my clutch cable and have been adjusting it as well. it seems sometimes when downshifting the clutch will sort of clank and make some noise. I adjusted the clutch cable until to clunking stopped but I am thinking maybe I need to look at the clutch, could the high pitched acceleration noise be clutch related?

Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated!

oh and here are some pics of the bike put back together.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am going to assume what you call a whine may be considered a squeal by others. I think I would try the candle trick to be sure if the noise is belt related. Take a candle and rub it all the way around the belt on both the inside and the outside of the belt where it may be rubbing on the sides of the pulley. The wax will sometimes take the squeal out of the pulley so at least you know its coming from the belt for sure. If it stops squealing then if the squeal comes back I would continue trying to adjust the belt until it stops. How many miles on the bike and belt? I know some people scrub the belt clean with I think Simple Green and it seems to help in some cases. The whine can also be the sound of a stator failure which is like a loud whirring sound that on mine was on acceleration too. What year is your bike and how many miles. Sometimes coasting with your motor off and helmet off makes it easy to hear noises. I would start with these ideas. There is a good video here that you can search and listen to a bad stator sound....you will know it if yours does it. Nice looking bike by the way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, the bike is a 2008, about 6,000 miles on it. I have had it for about a year so I cant say if the belt has ever been changed. I have read about the candle/chapstick trick, I will try that out tomorrow and see where I stand. Any way to test the stator to see if it is failing? let me look into that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link, reading through that thread it seems the stator whine is a constant noise unaffected by gear changes or clutch lever being pulled in. My noise is under acceleration only and stops when the clutch lever is pulled in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks so much for the advice guys, my OCD kicked in big time last night so I was out in the shed adjusting the belt at 2am, got up this morning and took it for a spin and success! Noise stopped. glad that is sorted.

I think the problem was when I put on the front pulley I forgot to take off the guide on the inside of the cover. Obviously I was getting a whine with the belt hitting it so I was adjusting the belt to try and fix that whine when it occurred to me I hadn't removed the guide. Removed the guide and didn't tighten the belt back up, it was pretty loose when I checked it last night. all sorted now.

I really cant thank you guys enough, when I bought this bike I was determined to learn as much about the bike as possible and turning your own wrenches seems like the best way to do that. With the guidance of this forum I have been able to accomplish every job on the bike I have dove in to. thanks so much guys!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I should have mentioned the removal of the guide because a number of people have not done that and had a terrible noise....I can imagine the sound of that thing rubbing on the belt. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you got it figured out.Did the pulleys seem to make a noticeable difference in reducing RPM at highway speed?
Did it!?! for HWY cruising it is great. 70mph is as comfortable as can be, the gearing change totally adds the 6th gear you've been looking for. Now I find the bike to not be as peppy as before but considering the rpm difference it is pretty reasonable to expect a little less pep in it's step. Overall I would recommend the pulley swap in a heart beat.

Next I am thinking about a programmer and a intake upgrade. seems like the next logical step for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts