Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the habit of making spare keys whenever I get a "new" bike. Took the original key to a locksmith, and it's copy works fine in the ignition, but it won't open the gas cap !?! It fits in the cap fine.

So I get a blank from a Kawi dealer, have the locksmith make another copy from this. Same problem.

Very strange; every copy he makes works in the ignition, but won't turn the gas cap.

Anyone else had this problem, and if so, how was it corrected ? I'm planning on taking the cap itself to the locksmith, so he can take it apart and make a copy that way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You're right, that is strange. How about in the seat release, did you try it there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You're right, that is strange. How about in the seat release, did you try it there?
Every copy works in the seat release too. Only the gas cap is the problem. Took a ride awhile back, with a copy in the ignition, and the original at home. Sixty miles from home, I try to gas up, and the key didn't work, so I had to backtrack to get the original. That was fun :mad:

Obviously, I'm a bit paranoid only having one key that works in the gas cap, so I keep it in my jacket pocket, and use a spare for the ignition.

p.s. I'm in Northern Minnesota, about an hour from the border :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read this post and went and checked my extra key that I had made. It worked fine in the gas cap. I got the key blank from the dealer and had the key cut at my work. Just some input to your problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read this post and went and checked my extra key that I had made. It worked fine in the gas cap. I got the key blank from the dealer and had the key cut at my work. Just some input to your problem.
Thanks ! Think I'll try another locksmith first; never had a problem with this guy, but who knows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts