Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm probably being a silly newbie at this stuff, so if I am, please set me straight and school me. I love learning.

A few weeks ago, I took the drill out and put some holes in the rear cap on my exhaust. I basically got it to stage one. I knocked out the screens a little while later, and everything was great.

Today, I finally grew the balls to go all the way with the debaffling process and took out the baffles altogether based on that great 'How to' by predfan from the kawasaki motorcycle forums.

When I took the bike outside and turned her on, there were a lot more fumes than I've ever seen come from this bike. Wispy white fumes coming out of both pipes. I let it run and watched for about five minutes or so. After the first minute or two, the fumes died out and the bike went back to it's normal no-fumes style.

I noticed the inside of the pipes seemed wet afterwards as well, as if they'd been misted with water...

So, this has me wondering... could I have gotten some water into the system during the bath I gave the bike yesterday? Or was this a symptom of the debaffle? Was I burning water that might've been in the gasoline I put in recently?

What do you guys think? Normal thing, or something I should dig further into?

·
Registered
357 Posts
could be from the bath or the cats. catalytic converters convert exhaust gases into other gases. hydrogen and oxygen or two of those (ever hear of H2O :) ) so if it's not running out it may be with the baffles in the moisture got trapped and evaporated during normal running.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You will get moisture from the exhaust & I reckon removing the baffles made it more obvious. When the exhaust heats up it evaporates. You see the same thing in cars when they are cold & esp if they haven't been used recently.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have Cobra sweeps and no cat. Any time I start the bike with a cold engine both pipes spit water for a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts