Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new to me 2009 Vulcan 900 LT and have not ridden it at all.

Its killing me to see it sitting in the garage but I'm concerned about riding it in the snow and ice the third of a mile down our drive to the pavement.

I may have to load it on a trailer to get it to dry pavement.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well how deep is the snow ? is it a private driveway , Like yours?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it is a private drive that I plowed today. Snow is about 20 inches on the flat. Got some four foot drifts behind the snow fences. It may be April before I get to ride this Vulcan.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I remeber them days of getting up 4 AM to shovel out to go to work :(.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
See now I feel like a wuss. Its freezing here but we've only got an inch of snow. Nothing compared to the D, obviously. Lol
But that is all it takes. 1/4 inch of ice or 1" of ice is still an icy surface and you will slide just the same. We have been having decent weather during the week but come Thursday or Friday the snow falls.:mad:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just bought a new to me 2009 Vulcan 900 LT and have not ridden it at all.
That would drive me so crazy! Good thing I'm in the south. Why don't someone build a module for the 900 that will put a tread on the back and ski on the front that can easily be changed?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am with you. I bought a brand new 2012 900 Classic and have only ridden it once (in mid-January, what a surprise!). If this girl stays in the garage any longer I am going to go broke bolting accessories on! :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I bought my bike in late fall too. Longest winter of my life.

I know it's tough, but if I were you, I'd hold off for nicer weather. Even if you're an experienced rider, this is a new bike. I'll ride my bike in soe me heavy rain because we know each other pretty well and I've put 20,000 miles on this bike, I've kind of figured out how she works! Personally, I don't do the snow/ice thing. Although, I'd love to have a dual-sport sidecar rig for the winter. I read a book written by a guy who is a true motorcyclist, he rides year round and he lives up north! Snow, rain, sleet, hail, ice, doesn't matter. In bad weather though, he has a dual-sport sidecar bike, and some pretty cool heated gear. Lives in a state (forget which) where they get several inches of snow every year yet he doesn't even own a car! LOL

My general rule of thumb though, is the forecasted low not below 40 degrees, 35 if I just can't stand not riding. For one, below that isn't very comfortable anyway, just too cold (for me anyway, depends on what gear you have I suppose). Secondly, the possibility for ice gets very real. I'd ride in the snow all day long if I could somehow guarantee there wouldn't be any ice underneath it. That's not something you wanna mess with. When it gets that cold, there's a chance that you could have a cold front, it could dip below what's forecasted, etc. One of the most dangerous things you'll find, is a little shady spot in the road where melting snow and ice has tricked out of someones yard (especially gravel driveways, etc., where a ditch won't prevent this), and then frozen in an invisible patch of black ice. That's where people get hurt.

If I were you, I'd hold off riding a bike you haven't yet ridden for a nice day. No sense being cold and distracted, or dealing with ice, snow, or rain on your first few times out. I'll ride in any weather ('cept snow, ice, or when it's just too cold!), but it wasn't like that when I first got the bike. Took me a while to really feel confident enough on it to venture out in the rain, heavy winds, etc.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I bought my bike in late fall too. Longest winter of my life.

I know it's tough, but if I were you, I'd hold off for nicer weather. Even if you're an experienced rider, this is a new bike. I'll ride my bike in soe me heavy rain because we know each other pretty well and I've put 20,000 miles on this bike, I've kind of figured out how she works! Personally, I don't do the snow/ice thing. Although, I'd love to have a dual-sport sidecar rig for the winter. I read a book written by a guy who is a true motorcyclist, he rides year round and he lives up north! Snow, rain, sleet, hail, ice, doesn't matter. In bad weather though, he has a dual-sport sidecar bike, and some pretty cool heated gear. Lives in a state (forget which) where they get several inches of snow every year yet he doesn't even own a car! LOL

My general rule of thumb though, is the forecasted low not below 40 degrees, 35 if I just can't stand not riding. For one, below that isn't very comfortable anyway, just too cold (for me anyway, depends on what gear you have I suppose). Secondly, the possibility for ice gets very real. I'd ride in the snow all day long if I could somehow guarantee there wouldn't be any ice underneath it. That's not something you wanna mess with. When it gets that cold, there's a chance that you could have a cold front, it could dip below what's forecasted, etc. One of the most dangerous things you'll find, is a little shady spot in the road where melting snow and ice has tricked out of someones yard (especially gravel driveways, etc., where a ditch won't prevent this), and then frozen in an invisible patch of black ice. That's where people get hurt.

If I were you, I'd hold off riding a bike you haven't yet ridden for a nice day. No sense being cold and distracted, or dealing with ice, snow, or rain on your first few times out. I'll ride in any weather ('cept snow, ice, or when it's just too cold!), but it wasn't like that when I first got the bike. Took me a while to really feel confident enough on it to venture out in the rain, heavy winds, etc.
+1. I done the same thing back in 05 when I purchased my 04 1500 Classic. I purchased it early in the year and it sat for 2 months before I could really get out and ride it. Hang in there. It will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is my first time in Drizzling rain, that was a feat for me for not riding for 20 years. So with all that snow I would be shining that bike till I could shave in it :D.

My first week of getting mine I would shine that baby till I could see myself to shave in it. My frame is so clean that I can see the metal flake paint job. I even did every spoke on the wheels lol. But with all that cleaning I get a lot of Compliments and they can't beleive that is a 6 year old bike going on 7.

So shine that baby up , might even gain a few MPH :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
welcome to our world .. all this plus 2 days ago there was a 50 car pile up in detroit and a week before that, a 40 vehicle pile up west of Toronto ...
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Do you get into the wrong Elantra and the key don't work?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts