Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at speaker replacement and possible amp. I looked at a pair of Kicker PS-5250 (2 Ohm). Does anybody have any experience with these. Apparently they are supposed to be louder and better sound than stock. Will the stock stereo run these?

Any help is appreciated. I have a Vaquero so I am only running the dash speakers!

Thanks,
Zekers

·
Registered
547 Posts
Lots of threads on both speakers and amps...

Speakers
Polk, Kicker, Infinity etc, I have Pioneers (they were free using work points).

Amps-
Rockford Fosgate, Alpine etc I have the Clarion it was cheap and not much in the way of
controls to mess with.

You will need the amp to drive higher end after market speakers. One member went
with the OEM speakers and amp after trying other aftermarkets speakers.

For the Vaquero you only have the two speakers. There is guy out there that is 3D
printing adapters to move from 5/1/4" to 6 1/4-6 1/2 speakers which seem to give
better bass.

There's also a mount plate now available out there for mounting an amp. Just saw
that not too long ago on here.

I tried speakers first and you don't get the volume you really want. I would do the
amp and speakers at the same time.

Start searching.... lot of info and detail, pics etc in forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I did search a bit but am unable to find whether the stock stereo is 2 ohm compatible. My first inclination was amp and speakers, until the guy at the stereo shop tried to tell me about the Harley Davidson (Kicker 2 ohm)speakers. Which in theory sounds like an easy fix, however it may not work! I know the right way is amp and speakers, which is probably the way I will go! Unless somebody has tried the 2 ohm route and has had good results!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The stock speakers are 3 ohm, if this helps. I'm running a Clairion amp that is 2 & 4 0hm stable with 4ohm speakers, Kicker 6 3/4" with the adapters mentioned above. Major improvement over stock. I only have the front speakers too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks I did search a bit but am unable to find whether the stock stereo is 2 ohm compatible. My first inclination was amp and speakers, until the guy at the stereo shop tried to tell me about the Harley Davidson (Kicker 2 ohm)speakers. Which in theory sounds like an easy fix, however it may not work! I know the right way is amp and speakers, which is probably the way I will go! Unless somebody has tried the 2 ohm route and has had good results!!
if you check on ebay, there is a seller who sells the kicker 5.25" 2ohm speakers and a kicker amp as a package its under $200 and it sounds great! I'll be posting a how to video on youtube soon on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks notmighty, I would like to see that video...could you send link when you have it posted.

Thanks Rick I was not aware the stock speakers were 3 ohms.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks notmighty, I would like to see that video...could you send link when you have it posted.

Thanks Rick I was not aware the stock speakers were 3 ohms.
I will post a link, I just added the iPhone adapter from Kawasaki and the stock audio is acceptable by all means to me. the stock am/fm reception is an absolute joke, I am pretty excited to get the kicker gear installed along with a small mountain of parts I've been collecting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
FYI most car audio is 4 ohm. You can only run higher ohms on amps (not lower) and cannot run 2 ohm speakers on the factory deck. I suggest you read up on car audio basics first. I have my reservations about the factory speakers being 3 ohm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
FYI most car audio is 4 ohm. You can only run higher ohms on amps (not lower) and cannot run 2 ohm speakers on the factory deck. I suggest you read up on car audio basics first. I have my reservations about the factory speakers being 3 ohm.
the kicker kit I bought is 2ohm amp and speakers. I'm just using the deck for signal, from what little I know about audio systems It should work. Are you saying that what I'm trying to do will not work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spend the money, buy the adapters and go 6.5". I have it with no amp and run my radio at 9 while riding 75mph with short windshield and chucksterd ultimate baffles (pretty dag on loud!). Plus it looks really good. Rear speakers help a ton too if you have the trunk on. It's almost ridiculous how much they help!

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Stock head unit. Rockford Fosgate PBR-300X4 300 watt amp. Kicker 6.75 speakers with adapters. Polk Audio 5.25 speakers in rear pods. Sounds awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rear speakers help a ton too if you have the trunk on. It's almost ridiculous how much they help!
+1 on the rear speakers. I just got them last week. I have already replaced my front speakers with Rockford Fosgate 5.25" and added a Soundstream amp but it still didn't sound right. I just installed the Kawasaki rear speaker pods and have them hooked up to the amp. They sound really good, and seem to handle the power. I was just reading where someone said the stock speakers are 3 ohm. If that's true, I may get me another set of the Fosgates and replace the rear ones, too. Just to be sure I don't kill my amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm slowly doing a refresh on my 2013 Voyager sound. Phase one is to replace all the speakers. I chose the Polk Audio DB522. They are marine grade speakers, and they fit in the current enclosure. I'm trying to maintain the stock look so I did not want to add the 6.5 adapters. That is strictly a personal choice. I'm sure that 6.5 would sound better, but I didn't like the look.

The DB522 are 100W RMS with 300W Peak. This should be able to handle anything I throw at it. They sound better than stock, but since I still have the stock head unit and no amp, that's about all I can say.

The next step is to add the amp. I've been doing a lot of research on it, and it is hard to find one that matches good without the big dollar cost. As a rule of thumb, you would want an amp that can deliver at a minimum 75% of RMS and max of 150% of RMS. This would place me in a 75 - 150W amp. Since I have all 4 speakers, that's a 4 channel amp, at 4 ohms, needing a minimum of 75W per channel. The only one I've come across so far is the Rockford Fosgate at about $550.00. It's next on the list. That's a lot of coins that I am going to have to squirrel away from the wife....

·
Registered
547 Posts
A lot of threads on amps (oe is mine)... I went with a clarion 1410 and 4 free to me Pioneer 5 1/4"
(cant remember the model) but the amp and speakers are good up over 100mph.. Not that I would
ever go that fast... I had speakers in with stock initially and stock head unit couldnt drive them.

Don't need to spend $550 on just the amp but it's your call.. The clarion was under $100 and it fits
nicely and the pioneers were free thru work good job points..

gb

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got my soundstream amp from eBay for around $100. It's 90w per channel at 4 ohms and 125 at 2. I've ordered the 6-1/2 adapters but it'll be mid June before they arrive.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm slowly doing a refresh on my 2013 Voyager sound. Phase one is to replace all the speakers. I chose the Polk Audio DB522. They are marine grade speakers, and they fit in the current enclosure. I'm trying to maintain the stock look so I did not want to add the 6.5 adapters. That is strictly a personal choice. I'm sure that 6.5 would sound better, but I didn't like the look.

The DB522 are 100W RMS with 300W Peak. This should be able to handle anything I throw at it. They sound better than stock, but since I still have the stock head unit and no amp, that's about all I can say.

The next step is to add the amp. I've been doing a lot of research on it, and it is hard to find one that matches good without the big dollar cost. As a rule of thumb, you would want an amp that can deliver at a minimum 75% of RMS and max of 150% of RMS. This would place me in a 75 - 150W amp. Since I have all 4 speakers, that's a 4 channel amp, at 4 ohms, needing a minimum of 75W per channel. The only one I've come across so far is the Rockford Fosgate at about $550.00. It's next on the list. That's a lot of coins that I am going to have to squirrel away from the wife....
You can get the RF PBR300X4 for $179. This is what I have.

Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 BRT 300W RMS Mini 4 Ch. Motorcycle Car Amplifier + Kit 780687333102 | eBay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts