Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Voyager that I decided to hard wire my GPS to the accessory wire in the front fairing. Took the left speaker and left accessory box out to get to it. The stock speakers could definitely use an upgrade. I have front and rear speakers so I will need 4. I've reviewed as many threads as I could find but still have some questions. Not looking to add a amp so is there something I should be looking for in particular in regard to specs?? Does it make a difference to use 2-way or 3-way speakers? Just looking to get clearer, crisper sound over stock. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have a 2010 Voyager that I decided to hard wire my GPS to the accessory wire in the front fairing. Took the left speaker and left accessory box out to get to it. The stock speakers could definitely use an upgrade. I have front and rear speakers so I will need 4. I've reviewed as many threads as I could find but still have some questions. Not looking to add a amp so is there something I should be looking for in particular in regard to specs?? Does it make a difference to use 2-way or 3-way speakers? Just looking to get clearer, crisper sound over stock. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank,
I just put the polk DB521 speakers front and rear in My 09 voyager 2 days ago. They are 2 way as are the stock. I am not adding an amp either. I don't think it is needed.
These speakers sound very good. I can now hear a real difference with the volume from 15 through 30 setting. Stock did not give additional volume after say 18 on the volume where these really do. Nice and clean sound all the way up.
When you add these to the rear speakers,You will have to cut off 3 little tubes inside the enclosures to have clearance for the large magnets. All these do is hold the cable in place and I would say they are from the plastic forming process during manufacture of the housing.
Found these through amazon 55 bucks a set. 110 dollars well spent.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I just swapped out my stock speakers on my 2011 Vaquero with some Polk DB521's also.

My initial reaction was that the volume sounded lower, but there was something that sounded more pleasing to my ear. I -think- I'm hearing more of the Bass. In fact, I think the volume was sounding lower because I'm not getting as much Treble.

So, I went into the amp settings. I turned "Tone Control" from "Auto" to "Normal" and cranked the Treble up.

Noticeable difference.

Currently I have the Treble turned all the way up, and the Bass set for 2 or 3. I'm still likely going to investigate other amps, but I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this as well?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I just swapped out my stock speakers on my 2011 Vaquero with some Polk DB521's also.

My initial reaction was that the volume sounded lower, but there was something that sounded more pleasing to my ear. I -think- I'm hearing more of the Bass. In fact, I think the volume was sounding lower because I'm not getting as much Treble.

So, I went into the amp settings. I turned "Tone Control" from "Auto" to "Normal" and cranked the Treble up.

Noticeable difference.

Currently I have the Treble turned all the way up, and the Bass set for 2 or 3. I'm still likely going to investigate other amps, but I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this as well?
That is exactly where My settings ended up after install. These do produce a little bass but not able to pull it out due to the tiny enclosures. This is why I don't feel the need for an amp. If I were planning a big sub in the trunk or bags then I would do the amp. Got more sound than I really need just the way it is now.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
That is exactly where My settings ended up after install. These do produce a little bass but not able to pull it out due to the tiny enclosures. This is why I don't feel the need for an amp. If I were planning a big sub in the trunk or bags then I would do the amp. Got more sound than I really need just the way it is now.
It's nice to know I'm not insane then. Well, not about this anyway. If I /did/ go with another amp I think I'd like to find one with more equalizer functionality.

It kind of sounds like that's the ticket.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Still trying to decide which speaker to go with. I was walking through my local Wally World and happen to see these speakers.

http://www.scosche.com/hd-speakers-5-25-set

$30.00 for the pair. Figured if I didn't like them I could take them back. They appear to be well made and should fit with no issues. I connected one of the Scosche speakers and one of the stock speakers. The stock speaker was sooo much louder than the Sosche. That surprised me. I had read that 3-way speakers would be louder than 2-way. I read on a couple of other posts where similar things happened. Is the stock head unit not putting out enough power to drive them like they need should?

Frank

·
Registered
440 Posts
hi guys, I just thought i'd add my 2 cents. I went with the Infinity Reference 5032cf 5.25-Inch, 135-Watt High Performance Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) on my vaquero. 67.95 on amazon and well worth it. no amp needed and it sounds great. got the bass at 4 and treble at 6 , I feel you cant do any better with only 2 speakers and at 5 1/4 size. when you go to 20 on the volume its really loud. I usually ride with it around 13 .. hope this helps you.. have a safe ride.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So with better quality speakers is the difference going to be noticed at volumes of 15 and up? No real difference at lower volumes?

Frank

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Still trying to decide which speaker to go with. I was walking through my local Wally World and happen to see these speakers.

http://www.scosche.com/hd-speakers-5-25-set

$30.00 for the pair. Figured if I didn't like them I could take them back. They appear to be well made and should fit with no issues. I connected one of the Scosche speakers and one of the stock speakers. The stock speaker was sooo much louder than the Sosche. That surprised me. I had read that 3-way speakers would be louder than 2-way. I read on a couple of other posts where similar things happened. Is the stock head unit not putting out enough power to drive them like they need should?

Frank
Most likely the reason the speaker is lower in volume is because they are not efficient speakers. They just suck up the power the amp is putting out or the impeadence is a wrong match. One other reason is they may not be of the better quality speaker. Your sound is as good as the speakers and amp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just pulled the trigger on 4 Polk Audio DB521's. I'm guessing the "sensitivity level/dB level" of the Scosche speaker was low causing the volume to be lower than the stock speaker. It is a 4 ohm speaker but I was not able to find the dB level listed any where. The Polk DB521's are rated at 93dB making them one of the highest I could find. Anyone know what the dB level is for the stock speakers? Hoping they improve the sound for me like they have for others. Thanks for the feedback.

Frank

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lunatic/Shep,
Did either of you have issues with using the stock speaker wires? When I installed the Scosche speaker the terminals on the speaker were smaller than stock and the stock wire did not fit well.

Frank

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Lunatic/Shep,
Did either of you have issues with using the stock speaker wires? When I installed the Scosche speaker the terminals on the speaker were smaller than stock and the stock wire did not fit well.

Frank
The terminals are a little bigger than the spades on the polks as they most likely were on the scosches. Nothing that a little tweak with needle nose pliers could not help. Snapped on fairly tight after. I have not rode a lot, and don't know if these will vibrate off. If they do I will put a better solution on them. The 93 decibels at 1 watt is why I went with the polks also. Not sure what stock was. Just know that the polks will take all the volume we can give them and they don't distort like stockers did.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm running Polk DB521s. Also have a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 300 watt amp on mine. It ROCKS!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brucerzx14,
How big of a PIA is it to install an amp? Doubt I will go that route but just curious.

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I believe golfnut has installed several sets of speakers and finally settled on the current ones. He pitched a few day old set of expensive ones because they sucked.... and couldn't return them....

Going down the road behind him I can hear his every now and the.....

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Lunatic/Shep,

Frank
I seem to remember that the terminals on the stock speakers may have been fatter, and spread the connectors on the wire out farther. So I just crimped them together a bit with some needle nose pliers.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I'm running Polk DB521s. Also have a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 300 watt amp on mine. It ROCKS!!!
I ended up pulling the trigger and ordering some Power Pucks, being the lazy bastard that I am.

I'll post some feedback on how they work out.

Should have asked RacNRay if he's still happy with his...

·
Registered
191 Posts
hi guys, I just thought i'd add my 2 cents. I went with the Infinity Reference 5032cf 5.25-Inch, 135-Watt High Performance Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) on my vaquero. 67.95 on amazon and well worth it. no amp needed and it sounds great. got the bass at 4 and treble at 6 , I feel you cant do any better with only 2 speakers and at 5 1/4 size. when you go to 20 on the volume its really loud. I usually ride with it around 13 .. hope this helps you.. have a safe ride.
jase:

I just ordered a set of these speakers for my VV. Got them on Amazon for $55! Thanks for the tip!

Did you set the tweeters at 0db or -3db on yours?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Speaker Choice

I too am ready to install a RF PBR300X4, but the audio shop recommends Kickers (I was thinking Polk or RF). Any Kicker users out there to give me a feel.

Which ever I use it will be marine grade.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I received the 4 Polk Audio DB521's today. Installed one in the front fairing and left one stock. The stock speaker is louder thank the Polk at the same volume. Installed the 2nd Polk in the front and left the 2 stock rear speakers in. Again, the stock speakers are louder than the Polk's. Installed the the 2 Polk's in the rear. I think the Polk's clarity is better but the stocks are louder at the same volume. I was not able to take her for a ride to see what they sound like on the road. However, i normally ride with the volume between 12-14 and I believe I will need to have it at 18+ to get the same volume. Kinda disappointed at this point. Might need an amp to get the most out of them and didn't want to go that route.

Frank

Frank

1 - 20 of 58 Posts