Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that many want to replace the stock pipes on the vn900. I have found from the many bikes I have owned and rode and cared for over the years that the stock pipes are actually good ones. After awhile the high dB levels of some of the aftermarket pipes really affect ones hearing and nervous system. That is my stock plug for the day. Mark

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well Mark....I ride with a lot of people that have loud pipes, so i put some cobra pipes on my bike so i could hear my bike run. I'm 45 yrs old, my memory is half gone, my wife says i can't hear a word she says, and i'v been married for 24 yrs so my nervous system is already shot! So that leaves my enjoyment to ride and nothing will take that from me!

·
Registered
658 Posts
nothing wrong with the stockers... I switched to cobra 2-into-1 cause I just needed an excuse to wrench on my bike. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The factory pipes on my 900 have enough tone for me. My hearing is half gone from 20 years in the military. I actually have to turn my hearing aid down when riding. Under overpasses I can hear that my pipes are just fine. I am sure my neighbors appreciate the fact they are stock because I leave for work early in the morning. However, one of my neighbors has straight pipes on his bike and wakes us every time he comes home after midnight. As bikers, if we want respect, then we need to show we care.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The louder the pipes, the smaller the wiener ..... some people have very small wieners .. me, mine is also stock size.

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I think they sound great and if i were to put my stock exhaust back on, i don't think thats gonna help my wiener . lol
Thats ok, the stock ones havent helped mine either .... i tell em , "its a grower, not a show'er".:eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have Vance and Hines on mine, the stocks jsut didnt do it for me. I wear the foam ear plugs when i ride. Ears are just fine even after hours on the highway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I realize that many want to replace the stock pipes on the vn900. I have found from the many bikes I have owned and rode and cared for over the years that the stock pipes are actually good ones. After awhile the high dB levels of some of the aftermarket pipes really affect ones hearing and nervous system. That is my stock plug for the day. Mark
The hearing loss that I have from riding is not from my pipes. It’s from turning my ipod up so I can hear it. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got stock pipes on both of my bikes. Caveat: my V-Rod has gutted, and very NON quiet pipes! I always try to be courteous with my right hand.
I'm considering aftermarkets for the 900, which is overly quiet for my tastes but I'm not about to pay the better part of $500 just for pipes...

IMHO you can have loud(er) pipes, without being obnoxious. I'm mostly interested in being noticed in the crowd of latte swilling, texting, GPS wrestling car drivers out there, so I'll probably pop for a headlight modulator, and buy a set of OEM stockers and punch them out for the 900 as well.

I understand both sides of the "Great Pipe Debate."
The noise laws here are pretty lax, and there are plenty of "motorcycle ambassadors" here that are struggling furiously to have tighter regulations either enacted or enforced. Between them, and the (other) idiots that are rattling windows and setting off car alarms with their audio systems---we'll probably have decibel police soon! :(
If so... I'll have non-modified OEMs available for both of my bikes. :)

Edit: Road Burners are about $325 on Ebay. Anybody running them on their 900's? Are the baffles removable?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've got stock pipes on both of my bikes. Caveat: my V-Rod has gutted, and very NON quiet pipes! I always try to be courteous with my right hand.
I'm considering aftermarkets for the 900, which is overly quiet for my tastes but I'm not about to pay the better part of $500 just for pipes...

IMHO you can have loud(er) pipes, without being obnoxious. I'm mostly interested in being noticed in the crowd of latte swilling, texting, GPS wrestling car drivers out there, so I'll probably pop for a headlight modulator, and buy a set of OEM stockers and punch them out for the 900 as well.

I understand both sides of the "Great Pipe Debate."
The noise laws here are pretty lax, and there are plenty of "motorcycle ambassadors" here that are struggling furiously to have tighter regulations either enacted or enforced. Between them, and the (other) idiots that are rattling windows and setting off car alarms with their audio systems---we'll probably have decibel police soon! :(
If so... I'll have non-modified OEMs available for both of my bikes. :)

Edit: Road Burners are about $325 on Ebay. Anybody running them on their 900's? Are the baffles removable?
A buddy of mine has a 09 900 custom with roadburner pipes and he was gonna take them out but he said he didn't think they're made to come out, so he didn't try but if there's a will there's a way! I was out with him a week ago and i think his roadburners are a little louder than my cobra longs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
FWIW, last year I put Cobra Slashdowns, a Baron Big Air kit, PwrCdr and Myron Schneider's rear pulley on a 2006 VN900 Classic LT. The bike runs much faster, and is more comfortable to cruise on at 60mph with lower rpms. The extra horsepower (58hp on the dyno) compensates for the larger pulley, so the bike is as quick or quicker, and the top speed in each gear is increased by about 10%. It's fast.

It is also way too loud. The pipes are overpriced junk. They are very loud to begin with, much louder than the Bubs on my Yamaha. Worse, they develop a standing wave at moderate cruising speed that's enough to break windows. The wizard who tunes my bikes has tried, and says no amount tweaking will eliminate it. It's a matter of physics, and I know he's right. Cobra never bothered to tune the pipes properly, or the problem would not be there.

When I first rode the Vulcan, I also thought it was too quiet. I ride on highways, and wear earplugs to reduce wind noise. I'm used to a V-Star with Bubs, which are awesome, and I love their song. I would order Bubs again, or Vance and Hines, but this is my wife's bike and she hates how loud it is now. She's used to a SUzuki Burgman, which is whisper-quiet, and she wants the stock pipes back, period. I'm choked. The Cobras were expensive, and I now I have to dump them on fleaBay.

Live and learn. That's my experience with Cobra Slashdowns, anyway. I concede that changing the pulley out and adding an air kit and PC has affected the performance of the bike, but I don't believe the problem should be there. It's poor engineering combined with no oversight to cheaply produce an overpriced piece of pipe, JMHO.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put Cobra Swept pipes on my 2009 Custom because the bike sounded more like my scooter with the stock pipes. The sound was indeed too loud... rather than sell the pipes I added Hard Core baffles from Smartpartz... it took the edge off the sound, lowered the frequency as well. Now I'm satisfied.

Hard Core baffles are also available for the Cobra Slashdowns for $70 Scott.

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB22520SSD.html

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the de-baffled stock pipes. Quiet enough for the early morning to work, but give her some twist and I hear her just fine. They strike the right balance for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put Cobra Swept pipes on my 2009 Custom because the bike sounded more like my scooter with the stock pipes. The sound was indeed too loud... rather than sell the pipes I added Hard Core baffles from Smartpartz... it took the edge off the sound, lowered the frequency as well. Now I'm satisfied.

Hard Core baffles are also available for the Cobra Slashdowns for $70 Scott.

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB22520SSD.html
Thanks much for that, Neuro. I will check them out and probably try them before ditching the aftermarket pipes. Plan B is to tinker with the stock exhausts in the hope that putting those back on won't restrict the airflow and take away the performance gain.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks much for that, Neuro. I will check them out and probably try them before ditching the aftermarket pipes. Plan B is to tinker with the stock exhausts in the hope that putting those back on won't restrict the airflow and take away the performance gain.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary
A follow-up:
I installed the baffles today. It was fairly painless, and there was an immediate improvement. The exhaust noise is much more mellow, and now it has a nice rumble as it goes along. There is still that not-so-sweet spot, but it is much diminished. Other than that, the engine backfires on deceleration, but the PC was mapped for less backpressure. It was $70 very well spent.

Thanks again
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I want speedsters for my bike as well. And my hearing is shot anyway. Had an airbag explode on the right side of my face in '01 and ruptured that eardrum. Then I blew up a tire at a work in 2005 and ruptured the left eardrum. Hell, the pipes will be so I can tell it's running.

·
Registered
451 Posts
+1 for stock. A buddy's 900 has slashdowns, and when behind, I have to stay back 100 yards just to preserve my sanity. He wrapped the baffles, and that took the bell-like ring out of them, but they're still darn loud. He can't hear my stebel air horn if I'm ten feet behind him.

I can hear mine at highway speeds, as a low warm rumble that is not distracting. I'll save my 500 bucks, thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
stock? too much like a sewing machine. V&H Slashcuts WITH baffles? Waaaayyyyy too loud. Added hardkore baffles. Just right. Nice rumble and chop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts