Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to disassemble the stock mufflers on the 1700 Vulcan's ? I'm curious to see what's involved with removing the cats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i drilled thru the 2 rear baffle plates...i suppose you could continue on and drill thru the converter too...i used a 1" hole saw and put it on a long extension (12") those mufflers are all welded and you would prob. detroy them trying to cut em open:knife:

·
Registered
170 Posts
The real question is, will cutting the baffles void warranty on bike? I think yes?! let me know.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have the ones off my vaquero if anyone doesnt want to mess up theirs or warranty hassels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a pair of take-offs that the previous owner had cut apart at the front and removed the baffles, then welded back together. Will sell reasonable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pm both about the pipes... :)

Sent from a mobile device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Voyager, Vaquero, Nomad Pipe Mod

Ok I'm trying to modify the stock exhaust by cutting the outside flange (plate) that holds the small diameter pipe in place, then using an extension and a dremel tool disk cutter, cut the small diameter pipe inside the pipe as close as possible to the 1st resistor plate. That way I can remove the piece of small diameter pipe along with the outside plate and the pipe will look like any other custom, without the small diameter pipe poking itself at the middle. I draw a sketch of what I'm envisioning.
If it does not sound the way I want (i.e. not loud enough) then I'll drill through the resistor plates. My question is has anyone attempted this? I'll love to have the complete schematic of the inside of the pipe that way I can draw a better mod design. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
On another forum Ive see the mod done on older bikes, e.g. Nomad, but the new pipes are larger diameter. So I might go simple with the 1 1/4" drill through the baffle mod. Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ok I'm trying to modify the stock exhaust by cutting the outside flange (plate) that holds the small diameter pipe in place, then using an extension and a dremel tool disk cutter, cut the small diameter pipe inside the pipe as close as possible to the 1st resistor plate. That way I can remove the piece of small diameter pipe along with the outside plate and the pipe will look like any other custom, without the small diameter pipe poking itself at the middle. I draw a sketch of what I'm envisioning.
If it does not sound the way I want (i.e. not loud enough) then I'll drill through the resistor plates. My question is has anyone attempted this? I'll love to have the complete schematic of the inside of the pipe that way I can draw a better mod design. :D
I cut the end of the pipe off like you are indicating with a dremel. It was a pain in the a$$ to get it cut off. You will need many disks to get the job done. I do think it has a cleaner look and worth the effort. About 2 months before I cut the pipe I had already drilled out all 3 baffles and the cat. The difference with cutting the pipe was minor it seemed to have slightly a deeper note at idle.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I cut the end of the pipe off like you are indicating with a dremel. It was a pain in the a$$ to get it cut off. You will need many disks to get the job done. I do think it has a cleaner look and worth the effort. About 2 months before I cut the pipe I had already drilled out all 3 baffles and the cat. The difference with cutting the pipe was minor it seemed to have slightly a deeper note at idle.

There are two cuts, one outside at the rim, and another, inside. Which one you are referring to?
sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why not use a circular saw? Thanks

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are two cuts, one outside at the rim, and another, inside. Which one you are referring to?
sent from mobile device.
Both: my pipes are the slash end not shaped the same as in your diagram. I will try and get a picture posted this weekend.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok you have the 09 ones.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This diagram shows better what I have in mind for this project. If this is what you have done, photos of the inside of the pipe will help me greatly. I'm trying to avoid nasty surprises like unseen welds deep inside the exhaust holding stuff in place. Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Today using a 1 1/4" circular saw, I cut through both restrictor plates, only. Slight deeper tone. Not much volume. I'm undecided on going further on gutting the 1st restrictor plate area, it seem that the baffled area extends all the way to the cats. I need to know. If. I use a 2 1/8" circular saw on the last plate, exhaust end I could remove the entire baffle through there? Anyone who has done it, please comment.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My next step is removing the right side muffler to see its internals from the collector side. There might be another baffle there right before the cat. I sincerely hate how Kawasaki designed these collectors, off center. If I don't go with the gutting, I'm going to custom install a set of 4" Rineharts. But the offcenter design has me worried. I don't have a shop, I do everything on my garage, and a good pipe Bender is something I don't have. ..

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone that has done the gutting, and can share photos of the inside of the pipe, is welcomed! :) I've been thinking of going a 2 prong approach, take out right side and go in from the collector side removing any restrictor w/o damaging the Cat. and on the left side going through the CAT and any restrictor that may be located behind the CAT, since it cannot be accessed on the collector side, unless I cut off the header pipe, which I have no intentions on doing...:D
It may result in a little less restriction on the left side, but with the longer route, I'm anticipating that the longer distance will work as restriction, pluss I'll use smaller size drill on left side when going through the CAT.

·
Registered
170 Posts
To continue this monologue, I just got my "practice 2009 pipes" today. They are different, than 2010 but my guess is that the baffle are the same. After removing the oval shaped cap at the muffler end I see that there is a plate which expands the entire circumference of the muffler at the same location as the 1st restrictor. About 6 inches in the muffler. And also there is a restrictor behind the cat at the collector side. My goal with the 09s is to remove part of the muffler to attach a tip, gut the rear end of the baffles, drill out the restrictor plate at the collector side. Ill post photos when done, if do this right it should be very bad a$$. Looking set at a fraction of the cost of aftermarket.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok gentle-all I completed my customization of the stock 2009 mufflers of the Voyager. I decided on cutting the muffler straight at the slash cut end, after marking, using a dremel cutting disk I did a guide cut, then hand saw the slash cut end off and corrected the edge with a file. I drilled through all baffles (resistor plates) using a 1-1/4" hole saw. If you want to avoid cutting through the catalytic converters, then you have to cut the 1st baffle (Collector side) for the collector side (Will require Welding of the curved pipe on the left side). Then I installed an anodized 4" tip at the end. I'm running stock filter and fuel settings. Bike runs with a lot better throttle response and a louder sound, with some bark when hard accelerating. Yes people will hear you now. Here are the diagram and photos.

I hope the videos work
Only last two baffles removed
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g373/Scorpo900/Snapbucket/Voyager/?action=view&current=2BaffleRemove.mp4
Completed
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g373/Scorpo900/Snapbucket/Voyager/?action=view&current=Completed.mp4

I really like the sound of it now, beefier and more low tone, with a higher bark when hard accelerating, my video sound sucks, so imagine or set your audio with lots of low bass and low mids, and it sounds similar to what the real thing is. enjoy and proceed at your own risk. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts