Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the price, I've considered the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and the Arlen Ness CheapShot fuel commander. I just need to know if all this is cost-effective... Would I get the same results from just replacing stock filter with a K&N? Or, should I go with a higher-end breather kit, like the BAK, or something?? No salesmen, please, just opinions and experiences. Thanks, again, y'all, for all your help.... I will also be adding V&H PowerShots, at the same time...

·
Registered
144 Posts
K&N

I added Powershots to mine. This next week I'll add the K&N filter in the stock airbox and a FuelPak controller. We'll see what happens.....:D

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
For the price, I've considered the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and the Arlen Ness CheapShot fuel commander. I just need to know if all this is cost-effective... Would I get the same results from just replacing stock filter with a K&N? Or, should I go with a higher-end breather kit, like the BAK, or something?? No salesmen, please, just opinions and experiences. Thanks, again, y'all, for all your help.... I will also be adding V&H PowerShots, at the same time...
Guess it depends on what your goal is. I put on the Powershots because I wanted to make more noise. However, in terms of performance gain vs money spent all this bolt-on stuff is a poor cost to gain ratio, IMO.

If you want a truly fast bike buy a crotch rocket, V-Max, B-King, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my VN2K but I didn't buy it to be a street sweeper. Just my humble and generally worthless opinion. ;)

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
If cost effective is your goal, send all that stuff back for refund and just ride the bike stock. Keep the rpm down and you will get great gas mileage.
Anything beyond stock that you add to the bike pitches cost effective right out the window. Some stuff is just bling, some is ego, some is necessary. I just spent $100.00 for a set of handlebar risers and I consider that cost effective because they will make holding the bars a lot easier. Other stuff like my Cobra 2 into 1 pipes, not so much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I ordered my stuff this weekend. Final result is Arlen Ness Cheap Shot and Big Sucker, with the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights!!! Should be in tomorrow, or Wednesday. Will be installing during next week and weekend. We have a Marines Toys For Tots toy run Sunday, and I don't want to be rushed, or making a mistake, and end up with a non-running bike...lol. Well, I'll let y'all know how eveything improves, once it's all on, and adjusted...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well, I ordered my stuff this weekend. Final result is Arlen Ness Cheap Shot and Big Sucker, with the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights!!! Should be in tomorrow, or Wednesday. Will be installing during next week and weekend. We have a Marines Toys For Tots toy run Sunday, and I don't want to be rushed, or making a mistake, and end up with a non-running bike...lol. Well, I'll let y'all know how eveything improves, once it's all on, and adjusted...
Intrested in your choice/ install and outcome. Keep us up-dated.
The cost of the two ( 2 ) items you picked are very economical.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fuel controller

Are you installing a fuel controller, too? I'm installing a FuelPak on mine tomorrow.............:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best part of the whole deal is I went in and told them the prices I'd pay for each part, and they came within $6.00 of my target!!!!!! Total price, after tax = $826.21, which is almost $250 less than they quoted me originally. It pays to shop around, adn be willing to stand firm in your offers...lol. I said "I can get them for THIS online, so either you can match it, or not. If not, I'll just order them online, if so, you have a sale, TODAY." I paid $6 more, but supported my local business. Win, win, I say.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got da goodz....however, after him asking, and my replying "yes, everything chrome, not black" guess what...wait for it...a black air cleaner cover.... oh, well, not in a hurry, anyway. they ordering the right one, and we'll try this all again...lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From first bolt off, to last bolt back on, a day and a half... not bad for my first time... Well, I'm completely stoked. The Hard Kromes are what I'm calling "Super Sleepers!" They have a nice warm rumble at idle, and cruising idle, but get on it AT ALL, and HOLY HELL!!! Turning my head toward the pipes equals a sore ear!!! This thing ROCKS!!! With my wife and I (400 lbs, total) making a left turn in 2nd, I said "hang on" about half way around. By the end of the turn it was already time for 3rd. I speed-shifted and hit it.... The front wheel actually hopped off the pavement....IN THIRD!!!!!!! So super satisfied. Once I get done playing, I will check the economy, and will advise...

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Forget economy, just have fun. If you twist the throttle the mileage drops as fast as the speedo rises. Keep it below 65 and you will get good mpg. Above 70, not so much.

·
Registered
445 Posts
borat_thumbs_up_narrowweb_300x5040_RE_Baby_Shirts-s300x504-103965.jpg "Arlen Ness Cheap Shot/Big Sucker/HK3"

I have the same pipes and will be looking at something like you did.

Once you get it all set-up.
Make sure to post back the setting you end up going with.
Really intrested in your comments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do, Paul. I'm just havin fun rippin it up, right now, though. It'll be a little bit. I also think I may be running a bit rich, so I'll have to play with the settings, a bit more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts