Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I apologize for asking what may be perceived as a dumb question but at the risk of being ridiculed, I will ask anyways:wink2:

My new to me 2010 Voyager seems to have an 3 or 4" aftermarket riser, and I have pretty long arms (6'4" tall, and feel a bit "T-Rex'd" by the handlebars. Does anybody know what I can do to get it back to stock height etc? The guy that had the bike before me must have had short arms for sure..

Thanks,
.E in TX

·
Registered
675 Posts
The guy that had the bike before you probably has the OEM risers in a corner of his workshop. Any way you can get hold of him through the dealer where you bought the bike to check?

I have a couple of sets of risers for various bikes lying around in my own workshop, but they were off a 1500 and an 800, which both have 1" bars. The Voyager's bars are 1 1/4".

I wouldn't think they're worth buying new. A quick check of Partzilla or Ron Ayers shows the bits totaling over $160 each side!

Otherwise you'll be hoping that either someone is keen to swap, or has a set they don't use that they'll take offers for.

Check that you don't have OEM risers with a set of Chuckster's spacers under them. They can be returned to stock configuration without too much difficulty. Perhaps you could attach a photo so we can see what you have now?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will snap a picture or two this weekend. Yep, I found the ex-owner on the forum here, but he has yet to respond. I will try reaching out through the dealer.
Thanks,
.E

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will try reaching out through the dealer.
Thanks,
.E[/QUOTE]

I put a set of small 1 1/2 inch risers on my 2016 last year. If you have no luck, hit me up and I will see if I can find the originals for you. They will just sit in my garage otherwise and if they can help a fellow rider, glad to assist. Only thing I am not sure of is if what was put on my bike completely replaced the stock set up or if part of the OEM setup is still on my bike. I did not put on the risers myself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I would totally like to buy the originals from you. If they work awesome, if they do not, I can pass them on. I will send you a PM.
Thanks,
..E

·
Registered
675 Posts
Scootworks risers are a popular upgrade for those of us without your long arms, so I'm sure that if auwing1978 can't find his OEM's, there'll be someone out there willing to do a straight swap.

Even better that they don't have to deal with Scootworks to get them... Dave "Tweak" Hockaday makes excellent risers, but doesn't have such a great business reputation. I had his risers on my Nomad, but made sure I bought them used from another forum member to help prevent such issues.

You could list them in the classified's here. Put a price on them less than the $120 new price, with an offer as a straight swap preferred?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here are the pics. These say scootworks on them. I would really like to get either the stock ones or some that are shorter, as again, I have long arms.
The stock Voyager risers only raise the bars about 1.25" yours must be 4 or 5" that should be a good change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock Voyager risers only raise the bars about 1.25" yours must be 4 or 5" that should be a good change.
I do not mind the height of the bars, it is the sweep I do not like. The bars are too close to me now. I would prefer they were a bit further away.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Scootworks risers are a popular upgrade for those of us without your long arms, so I'm sure that if auwing1978 can't find his OEM's, there'll be someone out there willing to do a straight swap.

Even better that they don't have to deal with Scootworks to get them... Dave "Tweak" Hockaday makes excellent risers, but doesn't have such a great business reputation. I had his risers on my Nomad, but made sure I bought them used from another forum member to help prevent such issues.

You could list them in the classified's here. Put a price on them less than the $120 new price, with an offer as a straight swap preferred?
Peg makes some great points. I was lucky last year with Scootworks when they sold on Amazon (they no longer to). They have had some real customer service issues and their Shopping Cart function on their website is disabled. And I bet you could offer up your tall risers to sell here and also on the couple of Facebook pages for the 1700 Voyager. All good!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah....I got the small Scootworks risers.....you have the real tall ones. I replied to your message just now. Will be in touch later today!
Thanks. I just replied. Just curious, how tough is it to change out the risers on a Voyager. Do I have to remove the fairing? I am thinking a blanket over the tank would be a good idea, but will I have to do anything with the cabling after I replace the risers? I would think it should be just remove and replace, but any tips that you all have would be welcomed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks. I just replied. Just curious, how tough is it to change out the risers on a Voyager. Do I have to remove the fairing? I am thinking a blanket over the tank would be a good idea, but will I have to do anything with the cabling after I replace the risers? I would think it should be just remove and replace, but any tips that you all have would be welcomed.
I put a set of risers on my prior bike....V Star 1100....as it was easy access. But covering the gas tank well is a must. Those bars do want to come down and bash the heck out of the tank. There are many videos on Youtube showing folks replacing handlebars/putting on risers and all will show tank well covered.

So on my 2016 Voyager, I actually had my mechanic install the risers. But he asked me to help him for the whole process to hold the bars and just be general support. He said he learned years ago not to try and do handlebar changes by himself.

1. He did not have to remove the fairing. BUT, he had the bike up on the lift so we were standing looking right at where we needed to work. I think the job would be much harder without a lift.

2. He did have a fancy big wrench that he used from under the bike to loosen the OEM bolts on the OEM risers. The bolts were somewhat difficult to get to even with the lift. And Mother Kawasaki almost had those things welded on it seemed. He had like a ratcheting 22mm (I think that big) wrench and could just move the OEM bolts a tad at a time using a lot of leverage to get them initially loose.

3. Putting on these small 1 1/2 Scootwork risers did not involve any changes to stock cables and hoses. Not sure what had to be done to get the 4 inch ones you have.....but I would imagine that if there are any extra length stuff on yours, it would just tuck back ok with OEM risers.

4. After we got the risers on I came back about 4 times in the next 500 miles to adjust the bars to fit me (we kept moving them up). Again it was easy for him as he had his air wrench to gently unscrew and screw back in the 4 allen bolts holding on the bars to the risers.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well darn....I found the OEM bolts and nut that came off the stock risers. However the Scootworks risers I got used the OEM bracket that the handlebars sit on. They are still on my bike. Still would need that bracket. I will shoot you a pix of what I have in a few....I cannot figure out how to attach a pix here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts