Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m baffled!
I have a 2015 Vaquero. I am in the process of putting together the funds to buy a V&H ProPipe and getting a reflash.
In the meantime i thought i’d modify the stock baffles.
Ive watched a bunch of UTube videos on removing and modifying
my stock baffles including the “Drill them out” frome the rear method with a 1 3/4” hole saw.
Anyone have any success. With modifying or removing their baffles, and if so, what method did you use.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was actually about to pose a similar question. Have you tried straight up gutting your pipes? I've been considering it but I don't know how it would really affect the bike and whether it would be easily reversible. I won't be satisfied with drilling them so I'm not even going to bother with it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My opinion is: wait until you get your Vance & Hines system, and leave your stock exhaust stock. It won't sound or perform decently, of you punch them out. If you don't find anyone to buy your old stock exhaust after you install your V&H, then find a box and save them for when you sell your bike. Exhaust should be free flowing, but "Tuned". Just punching-out baffles simply makes it loud. Performance is enhanced by tuned exhaust and fuel management systems. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 2009 and i have drilled out the baffles. It sounds great, however i am contemplating upgrading to VH or Cobra. I cant seem to justify the price.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
there's some engineering that goes into baffle design, you don't want to do what we did to our 1954 chevy car as teens, we removed the whole works even the exhaust manifolds and ran that baby with shoots of fire coming out that motor, ha, it sounded real mean and tough but what I have since learned is that with no back pressure the motor will lose power, which we found out thru experience, even on motorcycle motors you do want to keep a certain amount of back pressure with the exhaust or else the bike will bog down and feel sluggish, so just removing the baffles completely will decrease your power, both vance and hines and cobra design their pipes with this bit of engineering into their exhausts, not a lot of back-pressure but not completely void either

·
Registered
201 Posts
Of course, everyone has their own preference. If you like the sound and performance by simply removing baffles, enjoy! I will tell you of a member of a club I belong to. She wanted her Sportster to sound "Like the Big Boys", so she removed her stock exhaust and went to straight pipes. She did win a " Loud Pipes" contest at one of our rallies. A couple of the "Boys" were surprised that a sportster beat out big twins, and she was thrilled. Unfortunately, by the high revving she did at the contest, it put too much strain on her exhaust valves ( see 'btom's comments on 2/2/19) and she had to have her heads rebuilt. An extreme example to be sure, but it does occasionally happen. Missing a few baffles probably won't cause this, but it does illustrate the danger of removal of all baffling. Factory Engineers are well paid for a reason!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Straight pipes alone won't kill an engine. On my ZX10 I almost caused wrecks just riding by (sounds so much worse when I read it back to myself but was hilarious every time it happened). High revved it all the time. The first problem was probably that it was a Harley. The second was "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". If you constantly redline your bike you're going to trash it no matter what you ride. There's a guy around here with a Scout that's impressive like that. I'll probably straight pipe mine but no matter what any of us do to our Jap bikes they'll never sound like American v-twins but it's always fun to try.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ZX10 has a much higher power band than a Sportster. I've had plenty of metrics and lots of Harleys. I have been happy with all (24?). Can't think of any one in particular that I didn't care for - I just can't resist getting something different! Sometimes, I've bought new. Many times, used. Some I left stock, and some I "piped & jetted". Never a bad result - U.S. or Japanese. The gal who blew her exhaust valves, allowed me to return her Sporty to stock exhaust. I left her stage 1 carb. intact, but told her, if she wanted loud, let me put Screamin' Eagles on it. Ran great after heads reworked and straight pipes removed. She now rides a Softail DeLuxe. It has S.E. slip-ons, with stage 1 air cleaner (fuel injected). She no longer worries about the " Big Boys" - doesn't need to!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh,by the way - I've always used Vance & Hines full exhaust systems on my Vulcans (1500 & 1600). Performed and sounded sweet. I'm leaving my 1700 stock. Still has extended warranty. I am fairly happy with performance, since it's a touring bike. Never had any mod.'s on my Goldwings. Before my current bike, I had a Road Glide with big-bore kit. I found a good deal and traded that Harley for my current Voyager (completely stock, low miles) at a Harley dealer. Wifey usually rides our '08 Heritage Softail, with stock exhaust. Many of her riding friends ride metric - everyone gets along just fine. When she started riding the Harley, everyone said, "But you were always the Kawasaki girl"!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh those baffles are about to be gone! I want LOUD!!!!! Side note: found a hypercharger kit by Kuryakan for $300. Anyone run it and if so is it worth it? I may spring for Vance &Hines based on recommendation but I have to add a Power Commander or something to run it right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh those baffles are about to be gone! I want LOUD!!!!! Side note: found a hypercharger kit by Kuryakan for $300. Anyone run it and if so is it worth it? I may spring for Vance &Hines based on recommendation but I have to add a Power Commander or something to run it right.
Don't waste your money on a PC. Send the ECU to Ivan's Performance and let him tune it to your intake/exhaust setup. You'll be a lot happier with the results.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, My 2 cents
I agree with Hathaway If you plan on getting new exhaust leave the stock ones stock. Save up some money and then get the ones you want. I have the Cobra oval slip ons (Amazon now $442 I think I paid $399 2 years ago) on my Voyager and love them not to loud but loud enough. With the combination of the Ivan Flash and a Kuryakyn Alley Cat air cleaner the performance is great (for a 980 pound bike with a 300 pound fat man on it)
Bottom line if you ever decided for what ever reason to put the bike back to stock or sell the stock parts you can after you drill them they are no longer factory
Now if you have no intention of replacing the exhaust and wanted the added rumble then I would might consider drilling it but by not drilling them that just gives you more incentive to save that money and get the Vance & Hines (or Cobras)

·
Registered
173 Posts
O'yeah What T Gibbs said MSS Grunt DO NOT get a power commander or any other type or brand. IVAN PERFORMANCE FLASH is the only way to go Ivan's Performance Products

I had a Kuryakyn Hyper Charger on my Yamaha 1300 V Star and liked it performed very well. I do however Love my Kuryakyn Alley Cat on my Voyager

What kind of bike do you have? It doesn't show on your profile and I don't think Kuryakyn doesn't make the Hyper charger for the Vulcan 1700's (but I could be wrong)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts