Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that the stock baffles can be removed if you don't want to spend a small fortune on slip ons. Is that true?
Are there problems doing this?

New to Kawi and Vulcans....

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The Voyagers have 2 round plates welded into the inner core of the mufflers. These can be removed and will allow the mufflers to be less restrictive. This will allow the engine to breath better which will result in a bit more power/torque, better throttle response, a bit better gas mileage, a smoother and a bit coler runnin engine. This will slightly increase exhaust sound but it is a nice tone and not as loud as aftermarket mufflers.

A win win modification that is much cheaper than those aftermarket mufflers.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot even find a youtube video of this. Anyone got pics of what they did?

·
BOTM Winner, August 2016
80 Posts
debaffling

Ray I purchased an 2011 Voyager that the previous owner had debaffled the exhaust. The sound is great but I get a lot of back firing and poping is happening. I have put in a thunder gasket and tried each of the idle settings. Zero seems to be the best. I have used 87 89 and 91 octane with 91 it seems to run better. My question to you would be do I need a fuel processor I will try to block off the cross tub as you recommended in another post. Any suggestions would be appreciated short of riding 1500 miles to your shop one way.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I just pickup up a new Voyager and plan on de-baffling it once I'm sure the dealer won't be looking at it again. The front tire has a small cut in it from shipping and Kawi is shipping them a new one to install. I'll take pictures, videos, and do before and after sound clips if you are patient enough to wait a week or two. I too noticed a lack of detail about it and pretty much deduced that it was such a simple procedure on this model that nobody else thought to post info.

With that said my biggest concern is the distance between the first and second baffle. I've already got a hole saw from another project but the guiding drill bit on it sticks out about an inch and a half past the end of the hole saw. I may look into a different hole saw since I'm concerned about cutting too far past the baffles.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I cannot even find a youtube video of this. Anyone got pics of what they did?

Simple, use a 30 mm hole saw, I used a 28 mm, I think I used a 12" extension to get to the front plates. As soon as you have gone through these front plates, stop, so you don't go too far into the "cats", have been thinking of taking these out, also.
I don't have any backfiring or popping

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Ray I purchased an 2011 Voyager that the previous owner had debaffled the exhaust. The sound is great but I get a lot of back firing and poping is happening. I have put in a thunder gasket and tried each of the idle settings. Zero seems to be the best. I have used 87 89 and 91 octane with 91 it seems to run better. My question to you would be do I need a fuel processor I will try to block off the cross tub as you recommended in another post. Any suggestions would be appreciated short of riding 1500 miles to your shop one way.
At this point the biggest contributor to your popping on decel is the fresh air into the exhaust system, plug that hose up!!!!!!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found the biggest difference was made on my 2010 Nomad when I removed the baffle on the engine side of the right side muffler.
Remove the pipe and cut that out as well.
There are two baffles to remove from the rear of each muffler and one on the engine side of both mufflers.
The Cats are in between the second baffle and the baffle on the engine side.
I didn't remove the engine side baffle on the left pipe because you need to cut the bend on the pipe to get at it.
Will eventually get around to that when the bike is no longer under warranty.
Whether that would affect the warranty I don't know.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The Voyagers have 2 round plates welded into the inner core of the mufflers. These can be removed and will allow the mufflers to be less restrictive. This will allow the engine to breath better which will result in a bit more power/torque, better throttle response, a bit better gas mileage, a smoother and a bit coler runnin engine. This will slightly increase exhaust sound but it is a nice tone and not as loud as aftermarket mufflers.

A win win modification that is much cheaper than those aftermarket mufflers.

RACNRAY
How did you get the plates out?

·
Registered
364 Posts
How did you get the plates out?
Use a 1-1/4" bimetal hole saw on an extension (approx. 16" long).
Just be careful drilling the second plate in from the end as the catalytic core is just behind it. The bit in the centre of the hole saw may chew into the catalytic a bit, but shouldn't hurt it if you stop soon enough.

Just take your time when drilling the second plate as it may fall into the muffler and get trapped in the small space ahead of the catalytic material. Some have developed a rattle or whistling as a result of this, but you can take the muffler off and shake the plug out (this process only took me about a half hour and a lot of cursing, not including the time to remove the muffler).

Note: You may wish to stop after drilling just the first plate and see how it sounds after a good ride. Remember, it sounds much different just idling in your garage.

I say this because after drilling out the second plate in each muffler you may get much more decel popping as this sound will no longer be muffled. A good fuel manager may be required to add more fuel just off idle to eliminate this popping.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
If you're luck the drill bit in the hole saw will hold on to that second plate, if you go that far. I was lucky enough on one. On the other I used a magnet taped to the end of a coat hanger to fish the plate out. Might have been quicker to take the muffler off and shake it out though. Like Hammer said, do one set at a time and ride it for a day to see if it's to your liking.

I ended up going with V&H Twin slash. There are a lot of factors that contribute to how loud the exhaust is, including in my experience, the air/fuel ratio (afr). I think mines running at a tolerable level with a Air Kit(AK)/tuner/and the pipes. Before the AK the afr was different and the pipes were almost obnoxious. Before the tuner and AK I had stock and it was too quiet but had a nice purr to it. Start slow and work your way up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend of mine gave me the slip in Fishtails off his Rhinehart pipes on his Harley. I tapped them onto my stock mufflers and put a couple of self tapping screws to secure them. They look fantastic and the sound quality of the stock mufflers was drastically changed. The tone is deeper and louder and thats just from adding tips , not removing baffles. Mine is a 2014 voyager 1700.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
At this point the biggest contributor to your popping on decel is the fresh air into the exhaust system, plug that hose up!!!!!!!

RACNRAY
Pardon my ignorance, but to what hose are you referring?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Rove the right side aircleaner cover. At the top just to the rear, you should see where the hose connects, about the 11:00 position. Plug this hose, I think its a 3/8" or 1/2" hose.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Where is the first baffle plate?

I just got home with my new 2013 Vulcan Nomad 1700. By new, I mean brand new at the dealer with zero miles. I rode home thinking these pipes actually sound pretty good. But, I was going to at least remove the first plate to see how it sounds. However, I thought the first plate would be near the end of the exhaust. When I looked at the exhaust, there is nothing inside until I get about 12 inches into the pipe. As I read the posts here, the second plate should be about 12 inches from the 1st plate. If that is correct, I would need a 24 inch extension to even reach the second plate. I wonder if someone has already removed the first plate. So my question is, where is the first baffle plate? :confused:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just got home with my new 2013 Vulcan Nomad 1700. By new, I mean brand new at the dealer with zero miles. I rode home thinking these pipes actually sound pretty good. But, I was going to at least remove the first plate to see how it sounds. However, I thought the first plate would be near the end of the exhaust. When I looked at the exhaust, there is nothing inside until I get about 12 inches into the pipe. As I read the posts here, the second plate should be about 12 inches from the 1st plate. If that is correct, I would need a 24 inch extension to even reach the second plate. I wonder if someone has already removed the first plate. So my question is, where is the first baffle plate? :confused:
The first plate should be about 6" in from the end, just past a series of small perforations in the central core tube. If it was removed with a hole saw you should still see remnants and cut marks from where it was originally (especially if you use a flashlight). If it was removed for any length of time, the shiny cut marks would have been covered in soot.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Well, clearly there is no plate six inches from the end of the pipe. I guess I will have to investigate why this exhaust was modified. Actually, I am glad it was already done, and I do like the sound. But on a new bike from the dealer, it is very strange. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I went out and measured with a rod inside the pipe. It is 9.5 inches until I strike something (a plate I presume). I would really like to know if the exhaust has been modified or not.:thinking:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I went out and measured with a rod inside the pipe. It is 9.5 inches until I strike something (a plate I presume). I would really like to know if the exhaust has been modified or not.:thinking:
This sounds about right. My extension is around 20, maybe 24". I remember it just made it to the 2nd plate. Very unlikely with 0 miles that any have been removed. Mine is a 2012, but think they are the same.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts