Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i wanna vent just a little.

Recently, i saw on another forum a helmet mounted rear-view camera with a display mounted in the visor so that you could see what's behind you.

This, along with ipods, gps, radios, cell phones (REALLY!?!). etc, make me wonder why the haich e double-toothpicks folks want to drive a motorcycle. Buy a car for Pete's sake. We complain about distracted drivers in cages, but it's ok on a bike?

Others wear bright, reflective clothing, sonic horns, modulating lights, and (dare i say it?) loud pipes in an effort to get cages to notice them. Never mind that cars will run into trains, semi's, and each other because they weren't seen or heard. You can't rely on shouting "Hey, look at me!"

It seems to me that if you're gonna ride a bike with your nuts hanging out there for anyone to whack, it would behoove you to remove any and all distractions that would keep you from being the alert, attentive, and defensive driver that it takes to safely navigate through the cages and stay alive and in one piece.

Remove any distraction that would keep you from the task at hand, and know that you have to watch out for them, not the other way around.

Sheesh.

Ok, i'm off the box now. Sorry.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks you for the sitr stick...
So should we take our rear view mirrors off so we arnt distracted by whats behind us.
lol....... sorry Im being an opportunist.

So whats the real reason for the post... lay down on this couch here, tell us about your past, your relationships with ......... :)
Good points bud.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am with ya on the Ipod thing. It is illegal in my state to have any type of head phone on in a car, so why would it be ok on a bike? I want to be able to have a chance to hear if something is happening or about to....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but.....

I have been using an MP3 player on my bike almost since they hit the market. I feel that it is no worse than lisntening to your cage's radio. Am I distracted? Maybe, but I never listen in heavy traffic..........but then I avoid heavy traffic at all times.

I also have a GPS and I feel that IS a distraction if you let it be one. It's a matter of choosing the proper time to look at it.

HOWEVER........your rant will be taken under advisement........:D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hells bells i never drove i mean really drove a motorcycle until i moved to S Amer. talk about need to concentrate fricken chickens, cows, horses, dogs, kids, drunks, big time crazy assed drivers,busses , goats, bazzilians of people walking on the roads, pot holes big enough to farm fish in, no exaggeration rip the front wheel off your bike big, and buzzards every 50 yards feedin on road kill, bugs the size of birds, lizards that scare the crap outa you cause they run like 40 miles per hour under you.... Old Texicans drivin cages was easy....... But i aint givin up my Ipod....... Bulldozer

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Remove any distraction that would keep you from the task at hand, and know that you have to watch out for them, not the other way around.
I couldn't agree more!! I've tried a GPS(in a cage)several times, I can't stand them, the one time it did come in handy was when trying to navigate downtown Chicago. IMHO, nothing beats a good old-fashioned paper map. Electronics can fail, but if you can read map, you're never lost. Although I must admit, I enjoy mapping and route planning immensely. For the most part I find a GPS to be terribly distracting, or maybe I'm just old, lol!

As far as Ipods, I don't have one, however, I do have a Zen Stone, cheap, old, but works great. On our recent trip to Mo, I tried it for for the 1st time while riding and honestly I didn't care for it. Not really distracting, I could still hear my scoot and other sounds around me, I just wasn't comfortable with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Personally I think Ipods and Gps devices if used correctly would be fine> But if you have your Ipod so loud your ears are bleeding or your riding 70 mph while typing in an adress. You will become a statistic plain and simple.

I have often thought it would be nice riding and listen a Ipod. But when I ride I'm on alert scanning in front of me for potential problems. I have a wife and 3 daughters they need me.

Example: I was out for a leisure ride 1 afternoon. While traveling down a curvy country road behind a train of 5 cars. A teenage girl in a Honda comes up behind me talking on her cell and trying to put makeup on. She is only 4 to 5 feet off the rear of my Vulcan. there is nowhere for me to pull off or turn to let her by. So I start to slow down gradually speading my gap from the car in front of me till it get to be abour 15 - 20 car lengths. I knew theroad which was good because a mile or so down was an interesction on a curve. Upon approaching this intersection I notice the train of car had stopped. Lead car was waiting to make a left. I cover my brakes slowing very gradually the teenager behind me seen my brake light and backed off. Fortunately for me she turn left at the intersection and I went straight with big sigh of relief.

Sometime I think I concntrate so much on being alert is distracts from the pleasure of riding. maybe I'm nuts but I'm gonna do what I can so the cagers don't get me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts