Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, does the 2014 year model VN 1700 still have that redicolously crappy gearbox, or has it been made to work? :confused:
I mean, my -10 Nomad 1700 is so clunky I feel almost ashame riding it in town, shifting from first to second gear makes ppl turn around and stare, thinking something must have broke. :eek:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Nothing wrong with it, They are made that way......just that jump from 1st to 2nd with neutral in between. I can shift hard or soft depending on the way I'm riding, although I have to say I haven't noticed it much since installing my FPE pipes :D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Bashing

Cracks me up.

Are you an idiot?! Windbreaker!:D
Or just a self hating metric owner?:confused: (maybe a troll)

Only those new to riding haven't hear a Honda, Yammy, Suzi, Vic or EVEN (OMG!) HD clunk from 1st to second.:eek:

"Made to work"???:confused::confused: These bikes go 100k+!

Please!; Regale us of the many 'gearbox' failures that plague our second rate equipment!
Tell us how we should be (sic) 'ashame' of our rides.;)
OH WOE IS US!?;)
Please tell us of how your friends/family are happier with their bikes than you are with yours.

Please tell me how I'm flirting with disaster and the members with more than 100k+ are really pushing their luck.

OH!! WINDBREAKER!!! WHAT WILL WE EVER DO???!!!!!

What!? I should not feed the troll? What does that even mean?
Ignore him? ...But he's an ASS!....
Ignore him anyway?...
I'll give it a try...but, it might be too late.:D

איר ניטאָ אַ טאָכעס
סקאַט

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Honda makes a couple automatics if you want to have a silent shift, but I really dont feel mine 2012 Voyager is really any louder than any other large V-Twin, quieter than some.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Honda makes a couple automatics if you want to have a silent shift, but I really dont feel mine 2012 Voyager is really any louder than any other large V-Twin, quieter than some.
Or possibly a car :D I've ridden Victory's, etc that had a good clunk when shifting. It's a big motor with big heavy metal parts that go clunk.......I say ride the damn thing and enjoy it....Just my opinion

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just wondering, does the 2014 year model VN 1700 still have that redicolously crappy gearbox, or has it been made to work? :confused:
I mean, my -10 Nomad 1700 is so clunky I feel almost ashame riding it in town, shifting from first to second gear makes ppl turn around and stare, thinking something must have broke. :eek:
Two easy fixes... 1) shift sooner 2) sell it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG!
I guess I really stepped in it.....
Was just asking if that clunky gearbox was changed on 2014 model?
Well EXCUSE me for asking such a question!
I must definately be an IDIOT!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
OMG!
I guess I really stepped in it.....
Was just asking if that clunky gearbox was changed on 2014 model?
Well EXCUSE me for asking such a question!
I must definately be an IDIOT!
You called the gearbox 'crappy'.
You insinuated that it didn't work.
You said that you felt ashamed to ride it.
You exaggerated about how it sounds to make it look bad.

I really though the question part of your post was rhetorical.
My guess about the gearbox is that it has not changed in 2014. Why change what isn't broken!

Scott

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe try to get CVT pulleys and belt from a snowmobile so you don't have to shift?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yepp, why not just drive a car, or convert my bike with some parts from a snowmobile?
Thing is, I love my bike and most of it's features (Except for that "crappy" gearbox, that I think reduces the value of riding it)
Take the VN 1600, just a few years older bike, and a fantastic gearbox that made absolutely no sound at all when changing gear (any gear, including 1 to 2).
Since this is supposed to be a forum for discussions, shouldn't there be room for some criticism as well?
I still think that the gearbox is crap, no matter how long it runs in thousands of miles.
I know that Kawasaki can make a good gearbox, they have done so before......
Now I am aware that calling it crappy makes a person open to some namecalling, like idiot, troll and ass.
I know.....if someone is negative to something about a kawasaki, we just make that person (idiot) the laughing stock of the forum!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Everyone wants their transmissions to fall smoothly and quietly in to gear. We all would prefer a nice little "click" rather than the hearty "ka-CHUNK" that seems to be the norm for big V-twins these days. Riding a Victory, I've learned to ignore it. I can commiserate with you, Windbreaker, on having a noisy gearbox.

Now, the mistake was not that you criticized that it for being noisy, but that you chose to imply that the noise indicates a lack of quality, which it does not. Now, the responses did escalate rather quickly, but when you express an opinion that flies in the face of most motorcyclists, you can probably expect some backlash.

Motorcycling is a rather visceral experience born of noise, speed, wind, exposure, and a little bit of hardship. It eludes most of us how a kinda noisy gearbox would ruin what is otherwise an amazing experience, and from some folks that can elicit a rather excited response.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... you mean the gearbox isn't crappy????????????????

That's a load off my mind.... I thought I was just hearing things when those HD's I ride with all the time are clunking when they change gears too....

But I will tell ya, my 2002 Yamaha Venture shifted very well and seldom clunked. But my Voyager does clunk depending on what I am doing. If I kinda just oooze out and shift gears with the rpms low it is smooth as silk....

But that don't happen too often... Me ooozing out and shift gears at low rpm that is.... :eek:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah windbreaker don't bash the 1700 on here they will kill you.. I know. Just because they own one doesn't make it the best...there is a ton of things could be better on the Voyagers for sure. That being said all the big vtwins clunk from first to second, some just make a lot less noise ( victory cross country tour ).

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yepp, why not just drive a car, or convert my bike with some parts from a snowmobile?
Thing is, I love my bike and most of it's features (Except for that "crappy" gearbox, that I think reduces the value of riding it)
Take the VN 1600, just a few years older bike, and a fantastic gearbox that made absolutely no sound at all when changing gear (any gear, including 1 to 2).
Since this is supposed to be a forum for discussions, shouldn't there be room for some criticism as well?
I still think that the gearbox is crap, no matter how long it runs in thousands of miles.
Now I am aware that calling it crappy makes a person open to some namecalling, like idiot, troll and ass.
I know.....if someone is negative to something about a kawasaki, we just make that person (idiot) the laughing stock of the forum!
My apologies Windbreaker.

With the laughing thread icon and the hyperbole you chose for your criticism; I truly thought your only intention was to talk trash about the bike.

To me; for criticism to be a part of meaningful dialog, it should avoid using emotional negative language.
Ridiculous, crappy and shame are not words usually associated with respectful dialog.

If you had used wording more in line with that of the quoted post 11; I would not have mistaken you for a troll.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The reason mine is named Betty Clunker is...... well.... obvious..... but I knew it before I bought it.... :cool:

It clunks just a little more, a little less than all those Harley FLHT patrol bikes I rode for 20 year, and let me tell you them boys would clank too...

After almost 3 years or riding it (next month) it can clunk all it wants, I know it isn't going to throw a gear out of the side of the casing now so I don't even notice.... much...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My KLX250S and my Concours 1400 shift smoothly and quietly.

The Voyager I believe has square cut gears for longevity so they are going to be loud when shifting from 1st to 2nd. If it really bothers you then just start out in 2nd. The bike has enough power to handle it. I've even started out in 3rd, but not on purpose.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Being from Sweden, I am surprised you are not riding an electric motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
If it really bothers you then just start out in 2nd. The bike has enough power to handle it.
I have done it from 3rd and 4th just to see if it will...... yup.... it will... And act like it does not really care.... much....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts