Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all these years of production and people posting that they wish it had a 6th gear it still doesn't. I am sure they know many buy a pulley kit to try and correct the issue. I wonder why they haven't addressed it?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's a good justification to add another bike to the garage! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I suspect that to add a sixth gear would require an alteration to the gearbox case size which either might not be feasible without, for example, a frame alteration also and that all increase the cost quite a lot. Kawi might feel that might not increase sales enough to justify the increased design and manufacturing expenses.

Or?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why???

After all these years of production and people posting that they wish it had a 6th gear it still doesn't. I am sure they know many buy a pulley kit to try and correct the issue. I wonder why they haven't addressed it?

This is crazy!!! Just why?? Get a different bike!!!

2006 to 2019 no changes to engine trans are made a great production run - Why mess with success??

Does not need a 6 gear - Kawasaki Vulcan 900 is great the way it is!!!

5 speed trans shifts great no problems leave it alone!!

I actually just created an account because very tired of seeing riders of this bike complaining about a non issue!!

Move on peoples!!

:laugh2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect that to add a sixth gear would require an alteration to the gearbox case size which either might not be feasible without, for example, a frame alteration also and that all increase the cost quite a lot. Kawi might feel that might not increase sales enough to justify the increased design and manufacturing expenses.

Or?
Well they could have put different pulleys on them as a solution. Unless possibly they have at some point.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This is crazy!!! Just why?? Get a different bike!!!

2006 to 2019 no changes to engine trans are made a great production run - Why mess with success??

Does not need a 6 gear - Kawasaki Vulcan 900 is great the way it is!!!

5 speed trans shifts great no problems leave it alone!!

I actually just created an account because very tired of seeing riders of this bike complaining about a non issue!!

Move on peoples!!

:laugh2:
Have to agree w biebs,,,,I absolutely loved my 9 wish I kept it,did what it was supposed to do,only went to a nomad cause I wanted it,no regrets there,My needs changed a bit so I bought it,but dang i miss my 9,would have rode both depending on the ride:nerd:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another thought

I have had many bikes - shaft drive bikes give you no choice on final drive gearing you get what the factory give's you.

At least with a belt or chain you can easily change the gear ratio.

One exception - 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom a shaft drive bike with a 10 speed Transmission I had one, but a shaft drive heavy bike with a very long wheelbase.

I like the simplicity of chain and belt drive bikes!!

Vulcan 900 belt drive, Fuel injected ( my first), large frame is a great product - I commend Kawasaki on their long production run of good, proven models!!!

Concours - 1986 - 2004?? first gen

KLR650 - 1986 - 2019

Vulcan 900 fuel injected 2006 - present

:serious:

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Just another shitty design flaw from Kawi. The 900 is a great starter bike for city riding and short rides on the freeway.
I would politely disagree, my friend.

Done some pretty long rides on my 900, myself...

CarGuy, a member here in the Forums, posted this about his, as well.

" I went from a 900 to a 1700 Nomad in 2015. I had the 900 for 7 years. I have done cross-country, multi-thousand mile riding on both.

Pro's of the 1700: More power. Smoother and much quieter at hwy speeds, more comfortable seating, more resistant to cross winds or buffeting by trucks.

Pro's of the 900: Better fuel economy (plus it used regular gas), better handling in mountain riding (easier to "flip" from one turn to the next), easier for around town use.

These are my impressions. The last long trip I took with the 900 was a 3600 mile trip to the Grand Canyon. When I got back I told my wife I needed something heavier if I was going to continue with long distance riding. The 900 transmitted every imperfection on the roads to me. But, if it wasn't for the long distance riding I would have stayed with the smaller, lighter bike. So, I think the type of riding you're planning on doing should dictate what you ride. The 900 handled many long-distance trips just fine. It was me that couldn't handle the shortcomings of a lighter bike on those rides. "-emphasis, Buskman's

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will agree there. I love my 900 for its looks. But I ride a lot of Hwy. It is really not a Hwy bike if you want to go 70-75.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree. I just added the Baron pulleys to my 2012 Classic LT and am thrilled with the improvement. You'd think their Parts Department would be smart enough to come up with a 34/62 pulley set - and maybe include a speedometer drive replacement for a complete kit. I sent Kawasaki a letter referencing my changeover and also said the the Custom might be OK geared as a Scrambler, but the Classics are cruisers!

·
Registered
119 Posts
While i do agree it would be better with a sixth gear, I disagree with it being a shortcoming. I've taken interstate trips on my custom many times. I'm no cross-country rider, but I've put over five hours in the saddle one way to Texas (with the original seat, which IS kind of a shortcoming, but it's a budget friendly bike...), and I did over half the miles above 75. Maybe the pulley change would have helped, but my only major complaint would be that the fuel economy drops a bit after 60 mph.

My biggest complaint with the custom is actually that it's impossible to find an air suspension kit. I live in southeast Louisiana, and if there's not a buckle in the pavement every twenty to fifty get, you probably left the state without knowing it. Those things are jarring as Hell... But it's still a perfectly manageable ride.

For only five gears, the little 900 still has plenty of ass to make a pass in a 75 mph zone in Texas, which means a cruising speed of 80. Just twist 'er back, and away you go. It's not pegged out at that speed, so it's geared well enough to get by.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just another shitty design flaw from Kawi. The 900 is a great starter bike for city riding and short rides on the freeway.
I have ridden many different bikes over the past 50 plus years. Under NO circumstances is the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 "another shitty design flaw". It is one of the best twin cylinder bikes I have ridden.

The advantage to having a 6th gear would vary a lot, depending on how it's set up. Ideally, 6th should be effectively an "Overdrive", allowing the engine to maintain freeway speeds with lower revs and better gas mileage.

I've ridden from Bowling Green, KY to Orlando, FL on mine, and it was a great ride. Beat the heck out of my old BSA 650 Lightning!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would like having a 6th (highway) gear but with the highway speed limits where I am at 55 mph the 900 is OK as is, but on the occasional 65mph stretches it is womewhat buzzy. My ages - ago Suzuki 380 triple with six speeds was nearly buttery smooth at 65 mph and faster.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Or?
The change from the standard 32/66 pulley to the much better Barons 34/62 pulley required no other modifications on my 900 Classic LT, and the resulting improvement in ride satisfaction (reduced vibrations) has been remarkable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was riding a TS-250 enduro when the 380 triple came out, and was tempted to buy the one I tried. It was really smooth, but I was into the off-road too much. Bought my (ex)wife the 125 with a dual-range 4-speed gearbox. It was a tank.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I needed to do a bit of mods to help with buffeting and my messed up back.
I could not get the windshield to help with the wind no matter what I adjusted.
Now...a Memphis shade batwing and lowers and a mustang seat and it is by far the most comfy bike I have driven. I can do 70-75 all day, no vibrations. I have had it up to 100mph, and that is fast enough for me. Maybe with a passenger it could be different but I would ride mine solo anywhere. Smooth gear changes, turning, braking. I love it!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I needed to do a bit of mods to help with buffeting and my messed up back.
I could not get the windshield to help with the wind no matter what I adjusted.
Now...a Memphis shade batwing and lowers and a mustang seat and it is by far the most comfy bike I have driven. I can do 70-75 all day, no vibrations. I have had it up to 100mph, and that is fast enough for me. Maybe with a passenger it could be different but I would ride mine solo anywhere. Smooth gear changes, turning, braking. I love it!
I had a lot of the same mods on my 07 Custom. I absolutely loved that bike (still do). When I first took my son out on it (I was in the process of selling it to him as his first bike), I needed to show him what it would do. I'm 190 lbs, I'd guess he's about 175. She rolled past the 100 mark just like I was riding solo. Except for cornering I've never really noticed any difference in performance with my wife on the back. I would still shift at the same points, climb hills in the same gears. I never tried to top it out with her on it so the top end might come down a bit, but when do I need to do 105 mph?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I will agree there. I love my 900 for its looks. But I ride a lot of Hwy. It is really not a Hwy bike if you want to go 70-75.
Then sell your 13 year old bike and vote with your money on something else.

I like the long unchanged production run of the VN900. If they changed it, your next to worthless 13 year old bike would then be absolutely worthless.

careful what you wish for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts