Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I had everything fixed - apparently not.

My 1992 88 (1500A) is giving me fits again. It ran great for three days since I put a new stator and rect/res on it. No issues with starting or battery dying.

However, today, and this happened before, you can see my previous post, I was coming home from work and it started hesitating at about 60 MPH. Open the throttle full just to keep it running. Made it into a parking lot and soon as I let off the gas it died. Turned over fine, would not fire. Pulled the choke out all the way and it started right up, but idled really low, this is after a 20 mile ride on the highway. After about 15 seconds it started idling fast, like I expected it to. Pushed the choke back in, idle went back to normal and I rode it the rest of the way home, 3 miles, with no issues.

It does appear to be a little louder than normal, nothing changed on the bike. It also seems to be popping more and sounds like it might be missing a little while idling.

I know this is a lot of info. I have a ride planned on Saturday morning to stand with the Patriot Guard Riders in Florida for a Soldier who was killed in a jumping accident at Fort Bragg last week and would like to make sure I don't die on the side of the road.

This forum is great btw. I have learned so much in such a short time being on here.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It almost sounds like it's vapor locking when the engine gets good and hot. This time of year can create a problem for getting left over winter fuel which doesn't do as well in the warmer temps because of a much lower boiling point. You may want to try fresh gas. Have you done any mods to the bike that would interfere with the air flow around the carburetors?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kawi Rick - no mods to the bike. This is the third tank of gas I've run through it - actually had to turn on the reserve two days ago - so the gas was pretty much gone.

Sfair - I'll bite - how do I perform a pump flow and pressure test? If nothing else, I'm learning some good trouble shooting and maintenance skills. I figure about the time I get this figured out and running great it will be next spring when I plan on buying a new(er) vulcan that was at least assembled during this decade. :)

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Do a flow test first:

1. Remove fuel line that goes from pump to carb at carb and insert into a bottle.
2. At starter solenoid, remove heavy cable that goes to starter.
3. Key on, push starter switch and watch fuel flow into bottle. I cannot find the spec off hand, but it should be free flow and not just a dribble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts