Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all the way from Glasgow in Scotland. I have a VN1700 Voyager 2010 and have done 11000 very pleasurable miles on it. However, after long stretches of about 160 miles when I stop for fuel, I always find the top 4 bits of my vertebrae get very stiff indeed! I'm 6 foot tall and the bike is standard. Does anyone else get this problem and have any suggestions please? Would pushing the handlebars towards the fairing help maybe? I do hope someone can help.Thanks Ewan

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hey Ewan,

I was getting a stiff neck but cured it with a backrest (go figure!). I suspect because I could lay against it and stay in one relaxed position.

Raising the bars with risers and turning them a bit forward would probably also help!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
AMEN my back rest was my most valuable add on. It is a cheap Grasshopper but works wonders for comfort. Draw back is that it does not fold down. Hard to get on and off, but soon to be replaced with an Ultimate seat system, I think.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Ride curvier roads so you are always moving while looking through the turns and shifting your body weight.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got some shoulder stiffness from my VV until I rotated the handlebars forward. I put them to where they are about 1/4 inch away from the fairing at the steering stops. I haven't had the shoulder stiffness since then.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I've got a couple of herniated discs in my neck, so I know all about the stuff neck.

Pay attention to your posture, and as others have said consider raising your bars and/or moving them forward. You'd be surprised what a difference a little bit will make.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I know it is a big no no to some folks, but I just take my helmet off. I also have hernitated disks!
Unfortunately, that's not a legal option for some folks. A bunch of people who don't ride motorcycles decided they know what we need! Heh.

And, for some of us (myself included) even if it were a legal option it wouldn't be a personal option. There are ways to cure the stiff neck though! I think a LOT of it is in posture (which is why I think a backrest helped me). Also the way the helmets fit, and the type of helmet, may matter quite a bit. My helmet fits really well as I took the time to try on dozens of brands and styles, wearing them for a few minutes, etc. Others will just guesstimate their size and buy online or throw a helmet on and MISTAKENLY think it fits, and that causes issues. I would encourage folks to do some reading on proper helmet fitment. Improper fit can cause fatigue and won't protect as well should you get off your bike at an unscheduled time.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I know it is a big no no to some folks, but I just take my helmet off. I also have hernitated disks!
So, how does taking the helmet off eliminate a stiff neck?

Are your neck muscles that weak that you can't hold up a 3 lb helmet?

With those bad disks you would think you would work on muscle tone to help support your head.

·
Registered
563 Posts
My wife used to always have a sore neck after riding. Switched from a fill face helmet to a half lid and it's all better. She just caught too much wind with the full face style of helmet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi there all the way from Glasgow in Scotland. I have a VN1700 Voyager 2010 and have done 11000 very pleasurable miles on it. However, after long stretches of about 160 miles when I stop for fuel, I always find the top 4 bits of my vertebrae get very stiff indeed! I'm 6 foot tall and the bike is standard. Does anyone else get this problem and have any suggestions please? Would pushing the handlebars towards the fairing help maybe? I do hope someone can help.Thanks Ewan
Script for Lidoderm patch helps me alot. I usually cut a pad in half and stick one on shoulder area and other on lower back. A lighter helmet also helps me instead of a heavier full face or 1/2 head type.

For non scripts, sometimes those over the counter heat patches help people with their pain.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Backrest and lighter helmet....

But..... it takes seat time to developed those neck muscles. After having worn a helmet all day for 10-12 hours a day working (motor cop) after 20 years my neck never bothered me with those heavy helmets we wore. Now that I have been retired for 5 years and only wear a half helmet most times and no helmet some, yesterday the wife and I did a 300 mile lunch run and I wore my most comfortable 3/4 flight helmet style bucket.. My neck started getting stiff the last 50 miles....

It has been about 2 years since I wore that helmet... I need to wear it more....

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I had the same issue until I got risers. Made all the difference. I am 5'10" with short arms so helped me out a great bit. Before the season ended I went 500 miles with no issues. Good luck

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I had the same issue until I got risers. Made all the difference. I am 5'10" with short arms so helped me out a great bit. Before the season ended I went 500 miles with no issues. Good luck
+1 The risers helped Me to. Was always the base of the neck for me. I also have the backrest on the mustang, but still got the stiff neck. The risers all but eliminated my problem. Only takes a little as some others have said.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Big Dave, I wish I could help you but I have a similar problem, so if you don't mind I'd like to ask a couple members (thread posters) a question.

Shep & Naz47, I just can't get my head around that. I got a couple bikes, one is real relaxing cause the bars are way low, the other my arms are stretched out and a long ride is way tiring. Are you saying reaching up more, is less tiring? - cause it would seem right awkward although I haven't tried it. I have a really long trip planned & need to sort this out.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Risers, Mustang seat with a back rest. You will be a new man.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Moving the handle bars even as little as an inch can make a big difference in rider comfort.

On my Nomad 2" forward was the perfect spot for me. Before adjustment My neck and shoulders would tense up after about 40 miles on the slab. After I found the sweet spot no more problems. like twowheeladict said I never noticed it on curvy fun roads just when traveling with a purpose on the slab.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Big Dave, I wish I could help you but I have a similar problem, so if you don't mind I'd like to ask a couple members (thread posters) a question.

Shep & Naz47, I just can't get my head around that. I got a couple bikes, one is real relaxing cause the bars are way low, the other my arms are stretched out and a long ride is way tiring. Are you saying reaching up more, is less tiring? - cause it would seem right awkward although I haven't tried it. I have a really long trip planned & need to sort this out.
Hello Red.
Your answer is in Your statement above. Way low is the answer. On My voyager, My arms were not low, but, they were stretched out. The riser took My bars up an inch and brought them back 2 inches. You also can rotate the bars up or down in the clamps. The slight pull back the riser gave allow My arms to bend a little at the elbow.
I am not straight armed anymore on My bike. This slight change took care of the stiffness and shooting pains in the base of My neck. Now I will tell you that on a long vacation (that We do 3-4 times a year) You will still get a kink somewhere at times. I do as I am 54 years old. I ride 160 miles a lot with no issues . On trips on the road I try to limit our day to 400-500 miles. That is enough. Our vacations vary from 2500-4000 miles each trip. 12-14 days. The risers are cheap and easy, and will give You more flexibility on where to adjust Your bars. You may need to experiment a little to find Your sweet spot. You notice tinker moved His forward. (His sweet spot)
Hope this helps You. Them pains are a real pain in the ( @$$ ) Neck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts