Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S'up everyone?

Been a lonnnng time since I was here, but I have a question.

I was riding my 06 900 last night, enjoying a freak 70* day here in NJ, when I noticed something odd. My kickstand was REALLY stiff... Like, I had to WORK at lowering it. I know I'm outa shape, but that's ridiculous.

It rained today, so I dont have the bike nearby to look at it, but has anyone ever experienced this kinda thing before?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've heard of the 900 dropping it's spring, allowing the kickstand to flop around a bit. I had to have mine welded solid, re-drilled and fitted with a bushing to keep the spring in place to solve the aforementioned "flop", as the original mounting hole had worn out a bit, and I've seen quite a few people with that issue. Perhaps in your case it slipped without dropping off the stand and is catching on something?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Stiff kickstand? I usually get that problem when I am at a bikini contest! :D

No seriously, I have heard of folks with this issue. Like is stated above, there is some issue with the spring coming loose or something. I think the bushing where the stand spins wears out and puts it in a bind. Some folks have had the stand actually fall of its own accord while riding which can be interesting.:eek: I think if you search kickstand on the forum, you may find some threads on this.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Although your issue sounds more serious, I had something similar. After a rain, it was feeling 'odd', very stiff. The next day, I went to get it safety inspected. I about tripped when I kicked the kickstand out and it FLEW. I guess the shop guy noticed my surprise and said "Oh yeah, you had some grime caked in there so I cleaned and lubed it"

Before you order any parts... might be worth a look to see if it's something simple like that!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a simple DIY project. One-bolt disassembly, lube the shaft and paint the bare metal to prevent it from rusting any worse, right? Any particular type of lube to use?

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
engine oil or whatever you have handy, put oil around the pin/shaft and work the oil into the pin/shaft by moving the sidestand up and down, then add more oil and repeat until the oil is worked to down inside the pin/shaft, no need to disassemble it

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Coolio. Thanks, dude. I can sometimes complicate little things. A couple of squirts of wd-40 and she's like butter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts