Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well the clutch has been sticking a lot here recently (50k) and was thinking its probly 'bout time to do a little inside service. Shifting was gettin tuff and required a second spin of the motor with clutch lever pulled in to get the plates to seperate.. So, resign myself to doin this surgery. could be a fun if not dirty project?
being winter an all, mos u northern fellas shuld be in a full tear down n rebild mode.. butt 4 us texans, this could put a serious crimp on our winter riding.. good thing I gott me 2 back up bikes.
So, she be due for an oil change here in the next couple gas tanks run, I decided to toss in about 4 oz of the SeaFoam schitt in the oil department..
whadya kno? this magical elixar done loosed up the plates plenty. I will run it like this for another week and then drop the oil. Winter oil is the thin stuff 10/40. mebbe I dodged a bullit on havin to do major surgery.. or not? poncho

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Keep us up to date. I have always been weary of putting stuff in my oil. I wonder if after you change your oil if you should do the next one a little sooner? Because you know there will be some residual "treated" oil in the case.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch seems to be better for now. at least for a while. I was in some stop/go traffic last week and the bike ran hot, the fan is not working again, musta be connection, fuse, relay.. but the clutch gott sticky again when the motor was hotter n normal..

I will be flushing this and my goose soon, both bikes are up for erl n philter change. I do a pretty thorough empty method. pull plug wires and cycle the starter a few clicks several times. you will get another 1/2 qt of black gold out.

as for replenish with only Synthetics. 10/40 winter grade. I dont have any issues with residuals. 5qts, 5k, rinse, repeat..
from what I am experiencing with SeaFoam, you can leave it in your oil for the whole duration. it wont hurt it or motor any.. sometimes we need to get past the worship phase of our motors and cycles. these are pretty hevy duty pieces of iron. we dont beat on them.. excessively? they will last pert near 4ever with reasonable maint and care.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
clutch seems to be better for now. at least for a while. I was in some stop/go traffic last week and the bike ran hot, the fan is not working again, musta be connection, fuse, relay.. but the clutch gott sticky again when the motor was hotter n normal..

I will be flushing this and my goose soon, both bikes are up for erl n philter change. I do a pretty thorough empty method. pull plug wires and cycle the starter a few clicks several times. you will get another 1/2 qt of black gold out.

as for replenish with only Synthetics. 10/40 winter grade. I dont have any issues with residuals. 5qts, 5k, rinse, repeat..
from what I am experiencing with SeaFoam, you can leave it in your oil for the whole duration. it wont hurt it or motor any.. sometimes we need to get past the worship phase of our motors and cycles. these are pretty hevy duty pieces of iron. we dont beat on them.. excessively? they will last pert near 4ever with reasonable maint and care.
That is a statement I can agree with right there. My caution comes from my lack of education about different oils. Just never took the time to research the specifics. I would have been more worried about what it may do to the clutch more than the engine. I would not have batted an eye about putting it in my HD or my car/truck/... because of it not interacting with the clutch. But that is what you were going after. Glad to hear it seems to be doing good for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sticky Clutch

When I got my V2K back in June it would almost take off after starting. Clutch would drag something awful. Oil had just been changed by a local shop. I changed it again and it quit the dragging and went back to normal........:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts